Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this plant

Options
  • 29-06-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,
    I have this house plant for years now. I took as a cutting it from the botany dept in NUIG. It has tough foliage and, once a year, a pink shoot with a head on it with yellow flowers. I have attached a picture but the flowers are dead so you have to imagine it as yellow flowers and pink stem.I was in glenveagh national park at the weekend and they had the same plant (indoors). But it had no name on it and there was no gardener around to ask. Ive searched the internet to no avail.
    Thanks for your help.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

Looks like a member of the bromeliads but not sure which (not up to scratch with tropicals)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Looks like Billbergia nutans

good photo at this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marialuisa/3706564997/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mary234

Thats it! thanks a mill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mary234

If anyone wants a cutting Ive made some from it as it was too big for pot. I live in Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yellow flowers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

I know its not technically gardening but would love to get some id's on these wild flowers please.

339pp4g.jpg

nej1o0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

mgwhelan wrote: »
    I know its not technically gardening but would love to get some id's on these wild flowers please.

First one looks like common spotted orchid.
    Second is ragged robin.

Advertisement