Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest taxi's

• 29-06-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

hi,
    in your experience which taxi company gives 1)the best service and 2) the cheapest price in limerick

for me it is munster taxi's - cheapest!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I always use Tower Cabs - 444444.
    I don't know if they're the cheapest but they're not overpriced and always arive when they say they will.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know there are a few companies with set rates, but don't most taxis just charge the standard fares?

taxifare_structure-495x228.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I know there are a few companies with set rates, but don't most taxis just charge the standard fares?

taxifare_structure-495x228.gif

Treaty cabs do a set fare. I often get them to take me from their dispatch in Limerick to Sixmilebridge. Depending on what time of the day is, the price on the meter can be anywhere between €24-€30. The set fare with Treaty is €22 (day+night) and they don't charge the extras for (extra passengers or luggage).

If hailing a cab or picking one up at a rank you should always haggle the price with the driver before you sit in, that is if you roughly know the metered fare to your destination. For example you live in Cratloe and the fare from O'Connell Street on the meter is usually around €14. Before you sit in ask the driver if he could take you to Cratloe for a tenner, if he says no you can move on to the next driver and so on and so forth until you get a driver to agree. Sounds stingy but if moneys tight it's worth a try, not to mention taxis are already way too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

If hailing a cab or picking one up at a rank you should always haggle the price with the driver before you sit in, that is if you roughly know the metered fare to your destination. For example you live in Cratloe and the fare from O'Connell Street on the meter is usually around €14. Before you sit in ask the driver if he could take you to Cratloe for a tenner, if he says no you can move on to the next driver and so on and so forth until you get a driver to agree. Sounds stingy but if moneys tight it's worth a try, not to mention taxis are already way too expensive.

I have friends who live out the country and they always haggle the price with the driver of a Saturday night. I think the metered fare is usually around €40 but they normally get home for €30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Treaty cabs do a set fare. I often get them to take me from their dispatch in Limerick to Sixmilebridge. Depending on what time of the day is, the price on the meter can be anywhere between €24-€30. The set fare with Treaty is €22 (day+night) and they don't charge the extras for (extra passengers or luggage).

+1 for Treaty Cabs about €20 set price to Murroe from Davis street, on a meter it's about €35 or more.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

As most students will know, set prices and haggling is part of college life. I am in no way racist and I mean this purely out of my own personal experience but its generally always the locals that are more willing to do a deal but the foreign drivers are much harder to haggle with.

Would love to be proven wrong on this but this is my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

1huge1 wrote: »
    As most students will know, set prices and haggling is part of college life. I am in no way racist and I mean this purely out of my own personal experience but its generally always the locals that are more willing to do a deal but the foreign drivers are much harder to haggle with.

Would love to be proven wrong on this but this is my experience.

Ah, the old "I'm not racist, but..." phrase. Every driver is different, some are sound and some are dicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The trick is to find one that will drive you home to rural wherever on a Saturday night for a decent set fare, then get their phone number and use them regularly. Tis what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

wouldnt go with treaty again they way overcharged me tonight couldnt believe the price he was asking for to bring me out the road!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Hate it if I'm coming home from the lodge and the driver tries to take me the longest way possible coz he thinks I'm not from Limerick :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also hate being asked 'how much change I want' from a €20 note, I always tip taxi drivers who are nice to me farewise does anyone who ASKS for a tip expect to get it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Noname3

Most if not all Taxi Co's in Limerick operate a set price IF you ring them, you can ask the operator how much the fare is and then if the driver decides to charge "his own fare" you can ask him to call the base (on his radio) to ask for confirmation on the charge.
    If you hail a cab, be prepared to pay exactly what's on the meter, btw, if a taxi is not using a meter you are not insured in that vehicle in the event of an incident.

Hackney cabs are different in that they can only take calls from a company or from a phone. If its a hackney company then the rate is set, if you ring a hackney driver yourself.. he can charge what he likes.

Otherise most companies have really good service and decent drivers working for them.

Of course you will always get the Odd ball of a driver that can be rude or overcharge.. don't be afraid to take his\her p.s.v licence no and report to the carriage office.

just a few thoughts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Would agree with the I'm not racist comments. All drivers are different but the non-nationals are damn tough to deal with. No budging.

Advertisement