Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Hydraulic Jacks

• 29-06-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi Lads/Ladettes

Saw a 2.5 tonne hydraulic jack in lidl the other day and wondered if its ok for lifting a 3.4 tonne campervan?

I assume as you are only lifting one end then this should be fine?

Am I correctly assuming?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

You can get 8 ton bottle jacks for about 30 euro, they are of limited use though, you need a hard level surface people do use a large sturdy piece of timber under it. They are grand for lifting a vehicle so that you can put an axle stand under it but not safe at all for working on or under as the can collapse at anytime. Faster than a scissors jack but definitely not safer or better in any other way.

The ldv convoys had a screw type bottle jack if you can find one in a scrappie imo much better than a hydraulic bottle jack.

And regarding the lidl trolley jack again fine for lifting to put an axle stand in but at its full height it would hardly touch the jacking points on a lot of vans so you'd probably need timbers under it or blocks over it.

Speaking of axle stands scottjebb and sons have a decent price on 6 ton ones at the moment: http://www.sjebbandsons.com/6-ton-axle-stands-648-p.asp

Actually i just had a look at amazon and you could have the 6 ton silverline bottle jack and 6 ton silverline axle stands for €41 delivered to your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Maybe lift one side of one end of the van at a time yea, but you'd need to have it on axle stands immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Cheers Lads

In your opinion is it better to have the bottle jack & axle stands or just a plain old truck jack?

The axle stands are going to take up a little extra space yeah?

Where would I pick up a truck jack on the cheap?

I'm thinking for just changing a flat tyre on the go. I have access to ramps to get any undercarriage work done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Cheers Lads

In your opinion is it better to have the bottle jack & axle stands or just a plain old truck jack?

The axle stands are going to take up a little extra space yeah?

Where would I pick up a truck jack on the cheap?

I'm thinking for just changing a flat tyre on the go. I have access to ramps to get any undercarriage work done.

If its just for changing a wheel, then either a trolley or bottle jack is fine. Anything more than that you'd need axle stands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement