Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating.

• 29-06-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Has anyone here ever repeated? If so what was it like and what did you do different?

Has anyone here repeated more than once?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

yep, I repeated this year after swearing I wouldn't last year, but it's the best decision I ever made! :) I moved to a school with a special repeat year because in my old school I would have had to do 3 subjects on my own outside of the school and the year below me where dossers, all nearly 3 years younger than me! it was a great experience and going to a totally new school with new teachers and the fact that I knew no one helped to prepare me for college, as well as making it seem less like I was repeating :D The year flew by and I really miss it! If you're disappointed in august and get offered a course that you are not sure you really want I would strongly advise you to repeat.. you won't regret it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I repeated this year. I wanted to Medicine, and I got 475 last year and an offer for Science in Trinity.

I decided to repeat because I know that Medicine is all I really want; so in that regard I've no regrets for trying again, even if I go down and my parents kill me :rolleyes: I should mention I'd a few friends in my old school who repeated there and I made friends who were repeating in my school.

This year I completely devoted myself to Leaving. I cut out going out at the weekends completely. I only went out on Stephen's Night and once at Mid-Term and I actually didn't drink at all (those nights excluded) because I didn't like being sleepy when it came to studying. That's repeating guilt I suppose- any moment away from study I felt really guilty and I did find it hard to switch off and relax. I don't recommend this- try and keep up some hobbies and stuff! I did after school study until 7 (then HW at home). I went in on Saturdays as well. I made a commitment to never miss study sessions, even on days when we were getting holidays that others would take off. If we had mock/house exams I didn't go home when I was done, even on the last day. I stayed in to get through some more study, especially in stuff I was behind in.

I certainly clocked in much more study time, although looking back English ate up too much of it. I shouldn't have done HL, because I had to learn Hamlet and some new poets.

Some other repeats took a very relaxed attitude and others freaked out a bit more (like me I suppose!). You have to be motivated; deciding to repeat is not enough in itself. You also have to accept that your college friends are on a completely different routine and can afford to go out much more than you. Of course it all depends on how many points you want, obviously!! Some repeats could take it a little easier I suppose because they had English, Irish, Maths passed already whereas I HAD to do them again because you have to get it all for Med in one sitting. Not having to do them certainly takes off an awful lot of pressure because they could take up new subjects.

As a whole repeating was fine. I mean it was difficult at times and it isn't always easy. There were definitely times when I was in the study hall wondering why I hadn't just taken my college place. Going back to another year was a little bit tough too because some were really young and immature. But it's been satisfying too and even if it was difficult I did it. I have my points from last year even if I go down and I survived a really difficult year. Anything's easier after that :) I think it went a bit faster because I was aware the whole time that exams were coming and they weren't far away.

I should mention it's really important to have a good support network, family, friends, whatever! My family were great for letting me repeat but they didn't really get the stress and the hard work I was putting in- thank God I had friends to complain to when I was sick of something like Maths! It isn't easy, but a lot of people think it's a lot harder than it is I think. I mean, people in my year thought I was crazy and I got a lot of "I couldn't do that!". But when you have to do it you can and you will- it really isn't so bad.

There were people in my year who repeated more than once for Medicine. I don't think it'd be impossible to get the points but studying the same subject for 4 years running? It was boring enough with 3 for me and I don't think I could go back. Anyway it's difficult if you're going to count something like English because the course changes and don't forget Irish has changed now too!

Good luck, whatever you decide!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I repeated this year also,after famously saying the year before 'I don't care what I get,I'm not repeating'.lawl.

I took Arts in Galway at the start of the year for the sake of it,had no intention of doing it really. It was here that made me want to repeat. I never really bothered with the course and watching all of my friends happy in what they were doing motivated me and opened my eyes as to what I had to do.
    I went back to school in November and worked twice as hard as last year. Obviously results aren't out yet but I know myself from the exams that they were far better than last year.

All in all delighted I did.

Advertisement