Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc Finance and Capital Markets DCU

Options
  • 30-06-2011 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I'm just wondering if any one has done the finance and capital markets course? is it very maths based/whats it like, and did you have any luck with jobs after you finished it? If anyone did the course or has any info, it would be great to hear from u. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

I'm in the same boat as yourself. I've applied for the course. I come from an Engineering background though, so its a bit of a career change. I'd be hopeful that coming from that background I won't find the maths that difficult. Only downside is I would'nt have the same finance background as others but I do follow all things financial, so hopefully should help should I get offered the course. I think if your good at algebra,calculus and stats I think you'd be good.

From what I've heard its a good course. There are plenty of opportunities in the likes of investment banks, although I think you'd need a good grade in the course to be assured of employment, that and some luck and hard work. You'd be talking about working in Dublin or London with any luck. For me thats a damn sight better than the prospects in Civil Engineering. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jjjqwerty

yeh i accepted the offer couple of weeks back, got an email the other day course starts a week long for an intense maths week or something. sounds tricky, hopefully wont be too bad, do u kno any 1 who did the course before?

jjjqwerty wrote: »
    yeh i accepted the offer couple of weeks back, got an email the other day course starts a week long for an intense maths week or something. sounds tricky, hopefully wont be too bad, do u kno any 1 who did the course before?

When did you apply? I left it late enough, only applied 2 weeks ago. Deadline for applications is end of the month I think.

Do you mind me asking what grade did you have going in? I have a good 2.1 so I'm hoping that gets me a place.

The maths thing I'd say will be intensive but if you've been offered a place I would'nt worry, I'm sure you'll be up to it.

I don't know anyone personally, although I've communicated with people through boards and other places that have done it. Commonly people find employment with investment banks and clearing houses in Dublin and London.

Have you been given a date for starting?

Just got offered a place today. :)

I think I'll probably take it.

• Advertisement

hey been away for while. yeh it starts on the 19th of september, did u accept the offer in the end?

jjjqwerty wrote: »
    hey been away for while. yeh it starts on the 19th of september, did u accept the offer in the end?

I did ya. 5 weeks now till the start. I've been told first semester is tough enough. Second not as bad. Thesis is ok. I'm sure it'll go fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 owngoal

Hi, I got offered a place on this course and do want to take it however I'm starting to wonder about my mathematical competence for it.

I got a first in my masters in accounting and finance. The course wasn't too quantitatively demanding. I did ordinary maths for the LC.

Can who has anyone done this course or is going to do this course share their advice/opinions etc.

It would be greatly appreciated as I must accept/decline by Tuesday 23rd Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jhn_nolan

I just finished this course and am glad to answer any questions on it.

We started with the week long maths course at the start which is tough enough going (more so the length of days etc) but its good for giving you the basis of what you will need throughout the year.

The main thing I noticed was a big step up in the workload from undergrad. The first semester involves a good bit of project work etc which can take up a good bit of time. Quantitative wise it is demanding enough but nothing that wouldnt be handled if you were interested and willing to work. The most challenging modules quant wise are the econometrics modules both semesters (writing small bits of code etc). Also RealityCheck I know there were at least one or two engineers in the course and they seemed to get on grand afaik.

The research part of the course is year long and you complete your thesis during the summer and its due the end of july. For the first semester we did a literature review of an area that interested us in groups and then in the second semester we decided on our research topic and started to work with our supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 owngoal

Thanks jhn nolan, appreciate your reply.

I bought the Fundamental principles to Mathematical Economics to try and get a head start on the intensive week of maths. Are there any areas you would recommend to concentrate on?

Any other words of wisdom regards the course would be great also.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

If you havent touched on econometrics before I suggest you read up on it a bit as it can be quite hard to get into it at the start and you might find yourself constantly playing catch up if you get me.

try the stock watson book - we used it for undergrad and this course - http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Econometrics-Addison-Wesley-Economics-James/dp/0201715953 (thats the older version but much of a muchness tbh)

As said above the first semester is a bit more intensive (with regards in class tests and projects) than the second but its manageable as long as you work throughout and dont leave things until the last second.

Other than that as long as you have a genuine interest in finance and willing to work hard its a very interesting and rewarding course in my opinion.

Thanks for the insight jhn nolan. Much appreciated.

jhn nolan I might ask you of couple of things now that I think of it.

What is the timetable like? Is it 4/5 days of lectures? Many tutorials or lab sessions?

Also, How big was the class last year? Just to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks

Here is the link to the timetable for first semester - http://www.dcu.ie/timetables/feed.php3?prog=MFCM&per=1&week1=1&week2=12&hour=1-20&template=student

Its not too hectic hours wise, around 16-18 i think was the norm (had fridays off 2nd semester) but you will spend a lot of time working on projects etc so that makes up more hours too. Usually around three or four hours tutorials each semester and then around two hours labs for econometrics.

The class size was 70 last year which was large alright and I have heard rumours that this is being reduced but not entirely sure.

just wondering has any 1 who is doing the course received any info from the college yet about registration other than that email about the quants week?

I hav'nt received anything yet, but I was talking to registry this week and they were saying they would arrive by the middle of this week. If you don't get anything this week I'd give them an email or a phonecall.

hey yeh i actually got a letter from them today so id say urs will arrive prob tomorrow it just has a login for website and how to register etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LintGord

Hi, I was just reading over the posts in this thread and was wondering if either jjjqwerty or RealityCheck have any update now that semester one is finished??

I myself am thinking of applying and would be delighted to hear from you.

Hi LintGord

Yeah got through semester one, fair bit of work involved. Its a good course, I have enjoyed it so far. If your looking to get into financial services sector I would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 69455388

Hi
    does anyone know what the timetable is like for the programme for semester 1? does anyone have last years timetable. did anyone get work from this course. any feedback much appricated

• Advertisement

69455388 wrote: »
    Hi
    does anyone know what the timetable is like for the programme for semester 1? does anyone have last years timetable. did anyone get work from this course. any feedback much appricated

Here is last years timetable.

http://www.dcu.ie/timetables/feed.php3?prog=MFCM&per=1&week1=1&week2=12&hour=1-20&template=student

Its a good interesting course. Semester 1 can be tough enough at times but if you're offered the course you'll be fine.

In terms of work I haven't anything lined up yet but to be honest I haven't put much effort into it until now. Just putting the finishing touches to my thesis. In terms of other people I don't know for sure but I know plenty of people were getting interviews etc but in terms of outcome I'm not sure. I'll know in a few months.

I should add that they've changed the title to just MSc in Finance and the structure has changed somewhat. I'm not 100% how applicable this timetable will be for next year, although I think the changes might only affect semester 2.

Here is last years timetable.

http://www.dcu.ie/timetables/feed.ph...mplate=student

Its a good interesting course. Semester 1 can be tough enough at times but if you're offered the course you'll be fine.

In terms of work I haven't anything lined up yet but to be honest I haven't put much effort into it until now. Just putting the finishing touches to my thesis. In terms of other people I don't know for sure but I know plenty of people were getting interviews etc but in terms of outcome I'm not sure. I'll know in a few months.

I should add that they've changed the title to just MSc in Finance and the structure has changed somewhat. I'm not 100% how applicable this timetable will be for next year, although I think the changes might only affect semester 2.

Thanks realitycheck. How did you find the course overall? I just got accepted to the course so im getting excited about it.
    I really want to choose the best finance course in the country that can give me the best prospects of a career in investment banking. would you say that there are many students in your year that would be looking to pursue a career in that area?
    how does the course relate in difficulty levels?
    does the thesis element of the course comprise a large part of it? what length roughly would be required? sorry for all the questions just very inquisitive about the program.

Thanks realitycheck. How did you find the course overall? I just got accepted to the course so im getting excited about it.
    I really want to choose the best finance course in the country that can give me the best prospects of a career in investment banking. would you say that there are many students in your year that would be looking to pursue a career in that area?
    how does the course relate in difficulty levels?
    does the thesis element of the course comprise a large part of it? what length roughly would be required? sorry for all the questions just very inquisitive about the program.

The course is challenging but doable. Some aspects are tricky such as econometrics but other are easier.
    I know myself that I would be interested in investment banking. There would be at least a few others as well. However, I would say that many would be looking for more general roles in corporate finance or hedge funds. There is a wide spread. There is a decent computational requirement. I think some competency in programming would complement the course well but its not required.
    The thesis won't be mandatory for future classes but it is this year. It worth about 2/3 modules. In terms of words I would say its anything between 10000 and 25000 words. If I had the choice again I probably wouldn't do the thesis but in saying that it coming together ok.

Any more questions I'm all ears.

The course is challenging but doable. Some aspects are tricky such as econometrics but other are easier.
    I know myself that I would be interested in investment banking. There would be at least a few others as well. However, I would say that many would be looking for more general roles in corporate finance or hedge funds. There is a wide spread. There is a decent computational requirement. I think some competency in programming would complement the course well but its not required.
    The thesis won't be mandatory for future classes but it is this year. It worth about 2/3 modules. In terms of words I would say its anything between 10000 and 25000 words. If I had the choice again I probably wouldn't do the thesis but in saying that it coming together ok.

Any more questions I'm all ears.

ye im not a fan of thesis's. how difficult does the econometrics get? does it just cover ols or does it expand to other models or is it more empirical econometrics?
    would you say dcu has a good career development centre?

ye im not a fan of thesis's. how difficult does the econometrics get? does it just cover ols or does it expand to other models or is it more empirical econometrics?
    would you say dcu has a good career development centre?

First semester Econometrics is more general than Financial Econometrics. The theory around OLS regressions is most of what it is. A lot of the marks go for projects that have an element of programming and the use of R or Stata Its very practical in nature.

Financial Econometrics focuses on time series models such as GARCH. Its even more practical than Econometrics but I found it tougher.

Careers is adequate but nothing to write home about either.

thanks reality check for all your help. best of luck with the thesis and the rest of the course

Advertisement