Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on baby delivery after tear

Options
  • 30-06-2011 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, I had a baby two years ago and had a third degree tear...I am now pregnant with my second and I'm just wondering if anyone has had a natural birth with their second baby without repeat tearing? My gyny has in formed me that iv had good recovery after my tear and should have no probs delivering vaginally again...she also stated that I could have the option of a c-section if I was in fear it would happen again...she couldn't guarentee it wouldn't happen...just said I should b fine because iv had good recovery...any advice would b much appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had a tear on the 1st and stitches and 2 years later had another with a very minor tear and no stitches needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kimmers12345

Moonbeam wrote:
    I had a tear on the 1st and stitches and 2 years later had another with a very minor tear and no stitches needed.
    Hi, thanx a mill...just don't want to have a c section if it's not necessary...do u mind if I ask was it a third degree tear u had? Mine was a 3b...think a 4th degree tear is tearing all d way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

All my babies were big, but my premature guy (my 2nd) did the original damage he was 5 weeks premature and weighed 7lb 6 oz and caught me with his shoulder coming out, resulting in a 3rd degree tear.

when i was pregnant with the 3rd guy I told the midwifes about the tear, any way when pushing my guy out the midwife shouted at me to stop pushing, all of a sudden the room was filled with people and she was calling in people to take a look and asked for advice, any way i was told to push very gentle, eventually my son popped out all 8lb 15 oz of him (and 1 week early) and i was told my tear burst open with the pressure and did even more damage, i very nearly had a 4th degree tear which would have resulted in my anus being ripped open and would have led to problems with bowel control. However i did not get a 4th degree tear but i was very close to it, by about 3mm. If they hand of told me to stop pushing i would have been destroyed, thankfully i listened to them when they told me to stop, but it was hard not pushing, and only pushing very gently. Thank goodness i had the epidural otherwise with the intense pain i would have pushed him out hard (like i did with the premature guy).

They told me if i ever have another baby to inform them straight away, the chances are I might need a c-section next time to prevent a 4th degree tear. But there will be no next time :D

So my advice is if they tell you to stop pushing STOP!

Hi, thanx a mill....I also had epidural so didn't feel a thing...I just don't want to hav a repeat 3rd tear or worse still 4th...I just hope the midwives tell me to stop pushing on time. Thanx again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hi, thanx a mill....I also had epidural so didn't feel a thing...I just don't want to hav a repeat 3rd tear or worse still 4th...I just hope the midwives tell me to stop pushing on time. Thanx again.

If you have the epidural again it will be easier not to push as hard, if you dont have the epidural that's going to be quite hard to do. Make sure you let the midwife know during the labour that you tore very bad the last time, so she will be ready for it to happen again.

The team i had didn't realise that i had a tear as the person taking the note on booking day didn't write it down :( if they had of know they would have been prepared for it, and they weren't. Since they have already suggested possibility of a c-section you shouldnt have to worry, but do mention it to them again when you go into labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I've read that perineal massage during pregnancy can help make the area more stretchy and less prone to repeat tears. It's a bit weird to do and the diagrams on the document I've linked to are a bit off-putting, but it's probably worth it.
    http://www.doulaireland.com/perinealmassage2.doc

I've read that it can be effective if, during labour, the midwives can keep the area lubricated with something like olive oil and if they support the perineum with warm compresses during delivery of both the head and shoulders. I'm sure most know to do this but no harm discussing it with one of the midwives at your next antenatal appointment and maybe get it included on your birth plan (and make sure your birth plan is read when the time comes).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I did that massage during the last couple of weeks while in the shower. It was the most horrible uncomfortable thing imaginable especially when you're the size of a walrus but it seemed to work. I had minimal tearing yet burst blood vessels in my face so I was pushing quite hard. It gets easier the more you do it but first time I was so exhausted I had to lie down for a nap!

Its usually recomended for first pregnancies but if you tore badly during other pregnancies I'd recommend giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

I had minimal tearing yet burst blood vessels in my face so I was pushing quite hard..

Noooooooo!!! Were you being coached to hold your breath and push? This kind of 'purple faced' pushing is no longer recommended and yet so many midwives continue to do this. It's associated with more tears, more pelvic floor damage, more bladder damage and lower APGAR scores for newborns. :confused:

If you can just go with the urge to push and follow your body's lead without cheerleading style coaching with sustained breath holding Mums and babies do so much better. The body does most of the work for you by an involuntary reflex - it's amazing really! How did babies ever get out before someone thought to tell Mums to push into their bums? ;)

Thanx a mill for all the advice...I was chatting to the nurse at my docs the other day and she suggested the massage aswell so will give it a go... Also she was saying to wait nearer the time and get a scan...and if the baby appears to be big then she suggested going down the c/section route...I went a day early with my first and she was 8lb10oz...I have another 18 weeks left so have plenty of time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hi op,

I had a 3rd degree tear on my daughter. I had to go to a physiotherapist for a while after. I then had to go to Holles st a few months after my daughter was born to get checked out there. They said to me that I could have a C Section if I wanted to if I ever have anymore children.

They told me most women who have had a 3rd degree tear will go on to have a natural birth. My daughter was 8lb 5oz. I think its best if they keep an eye on the size of the baby and you could make a decision that way.

Best of luck to you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Claramonties

Hi - i had a third degree tear with my son, natural birth no pain relief (too quick) so it was like having a big 'poo' ! Sorry but its the only way to describe. Your body just does its own thing so hopefully an edipural will help things out. Also i heard if you rub almond oil on your bits it does help!

best of luck!

Advertisement