Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

institute of education good for repeating or waste of 10 grand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

UrbanSea wrote: »
    This is a ridiculous comment.

Frommmy experience youre wrong spurious.
    I went to Yeats in Galway having being in my local secondary school. I basically pissed the years away there. That wasn't just me either. The teachers in the school were far superior to my old school,and I knew every course inside out,both the structure and notes.
    Put it this way,when I went in for my junior cert Irish,I hadn't a clue that there was even a poetry section on the course.

I'll probably get eaten for this,but every time one of these threads comesnup there's such a sense of almost jealousy towards the OP,criticising their choice to go to a grinds school and they won't necessarily do better there,which is no doubt true.
    However,the figures don't lie. You are more likely to get what you want in a grinds school.

totally agree with this, there is an awful lot of jealousy out there when private school come up in conversation, but i think there is a cruel reality that they are better, not by much maybe but better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sunny!! wrote: »
    totally agree with this, there is an awful lot of jealousy out there when private school come up in conversation, but i think there is a cruel reality that they are better, not by much maybe but better

Certainly. Most of this comes from people who don't even know me. Most of my mates are on the dole and didn't go to college. They don't care where I went to school,they said fair play for actually workingnhard.
    Then people I meet may say 'aw snobs go there' or 'rich ones go there'.
    There are people who are up their own hole everywhere. Jealousy focuses people's gaze toward grind schools,though. Which is quite untrue.

Certainly. Most of this comes from people who don't even know me. Most of my mates are on the dole and didn't go to college. They don't care where I went to school,they said fair play for actually workingnhard.
    Then people I meet may say 'aw snobs go there' or 'rich ones go there'.
    There are people who are up their own hole everywhere. Jealousy focuses people's gaze toward grind schools,though. Which is quite untrue.

thats an absolute replicate of my situation. From being to 3 grind schools, getting grinds in different subjects, not there for the actual year, ive found the teachers far superior, in a public school its accept what your given in regards to teachers, Teacher in grind schools are sought out for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

However,the figures don't lie. You are more likely to get what you want in a grinds school.
    And if any good school in Dublin had the option to admit only bright and committed students intent on maximising points, do you think it would be much different? :)

As for jealousy, lol! I went to a terrific albeit unpretentious school; myself and three of my classmates had more than enough points for med (ironically, none of us had any interest); besides which, I had a ball! Why on earth would I be jealous? :D

I accept that the occasional sniping comment from the sidelines may have an element of pique, but please don't tar us all with the same brush or presume that people aren't capable of forming their own valid opinions based on a better foundation that that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The institute dont admit people based on how intelligent they are...they admit whoever pays them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I dont have any jealousy towards the Institute or any other Grinds School for that matter. I even considered going there for a while. However most of the talk seems to be about teachers/notes. With regards to teachers I dont know any of the Institute teachers but from what I hear they are completely points focused i.e. pure rote learning of notes/essays etc. I dont have any real problems with that, it's what has to be done for the Leaving but I know of a lot of schools who have very good teachers, both exam-focused and just great at teaching in general.

With regards to their notes, I've seen notes from the Institute and while some were very impressive, others did have faults. Also, I've found that looking for the information using textbooks and exam papers makes you learn things a lot better as opposed to just being handed sheets of "good" notes to learn.

The Institute is clearly an excellent place to learn but you have to ask if it is worth €15,000? I just cant see it ever being worth that, especially when you can do everything they offer from home. I'd advise you to go to a local school but really focus for the entire year. Thats what grind schools do (among other things)...motivate you. You have fewer friends, fewer distractions and a greater desire to succeed due to not wanting to let your familys money go to waste.

And if any good school in Dublin had the option to admit only bright and committed students intent on maximising points, do you think it would be much different? :)

As for jealousy, lol! I went to a terrific albeit unpretentious school; myself and three of my classmates had more than enough points for med (ironically, none of us had any interest); besides which, I had a ball! Why on earth would I be jealous? :D

I accept that the occasional sniping comment from the sidelines may have an element of pique, but please don't tar us all with the same brush or presume that people aren't capable of forming their own valid opinions based on a better foundation that that!

your speaking for your school and it may have been great like many others, but in citys and towns you will find some horrific schools. I dont think its nice to be told by three teachers i dont care what you do in life once i get my pay packet at the end of the week more or less. Grind schools dont suit everyone, you can do well without them no doubt

A few issues here.
    Your first point. My apologies,I wasn't aware of their admission policy. I was basing this on the admission policy in Yeats which I went too. As far as I'm aware they allowed all potential students to join,I merely assumed this was the same with the institute,which,upon reflection,may be incorrect.

Also my post was at no point directed toward you. Apologies if you interpreted the post as calling you jealous,nor did I intend to undermine your intelligence. Of course it is possible to obtain excellent points in a public school,at no point did I even imply otherwise.
    However,there is nearly always a sense of jealousy in these threads. Not by everyone,I don't mean to paint people with the same brush,but when we're dealing with private bs. Public,it's inevitable,as not everybody is able to have the same opportunity as others,as unfair as that may be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

your speaking for your school and it may have been great like many others, but in citys and towns you will find some horrific schools. I dont think its nice to be told by three teachers i dont care what you do in life once i get my pay packet at the end of the week more or less. Grind schools dont suit everyone, you can do well without them no doubt

I've no doubt that the grind school teachers care just as little about what you do for the rest of your life. The majority won't remember you 5 years down the line. I think the I don't care speech is a bit of motivation also, I've seen lads realise that its up to them to learn the material, not the teacher.

I've no doubt that the grind school teachers care just as little about what you do for the rest of your life. The majority won't remember you 5 years down the line. I think the I don't care speech is a bit of motivation also, I've seen lads realise that its up to them to learn the material, not the teacher.

yeah, i forgot to mention that these teachers barely knew the day of the week no mind there courses, it was highly insulting:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Bad teachers are terrible to have to endure, but there are other options to going to a grind school. Ask around from people at other schools close to your area to see what teachers there are like. If good quality teachers is what you want, grind schools will probably have an advantage yes...but theres nothing to say there aren't very good teachers at other schools. And if there is you could save a lot of money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Funnily enough, when I did IOE grinds (having gone to a private school full time already) I found the teachers late, rude and bigoted, not to mention the fact that they would put you to sleep and made no effort to engage, as oposed to lecture.

To me, a good teacher is someone who discusses the subject with the students, not one who preaches to them , I find it a much better way of learning, but maybe that's just me. I don't like being made feel like a lesser being than a teacher who has no time for the idividual (which these guys invariably don't).

IOE is a glorified lecture theatre and you need to do 80% of the work yourself. I thought it was €5k, but three times that? Definately not worth it.

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Bad teachers are terrible to have to endure, but there are other options to going to a grind school. Ask around from people at other schools close to your area to see what teachers there are like. If good quality teachers is what you want, grind schools will probably have an advantage yes...but theres nothing to say there aren't very good teachers at other schools. And if there is you could save a lot of money :)

i agree, and to go back to the point is it 15000 the ioe want? thats absolutely crazy and a total rip off comparing to other grind schools. The grind schools normal schools could go on untill we are on our deathbeds:P from my experience only grinds schools are better, it may not be true but thats only my opinion anyway:)

sdeire wrote: »
    Funnily enough, when I did IOE grinds (having gone to a private school full time already) I found the teachers late, rude and bigoted, not to mention the fact that they would put you to sleep and made no effort to engage, as oposed to lecture.

To me, a good teacher is someone who discusses the subject with the students, not one who preaches to them , I find it a much better way of learning, but maybe that's just me. I don't like being made feel like a lesser being than a teacher who has no time for the idividual (which these guys invariably don't).

IOE is a glorified lecture theatre and you need to do 80% of the work yourself. I thought it was €5k, but three times that? Definately not worth it.
    I did hear the same,but didn't want to day in case I sounded biased.

AdamD wrote: »
    The institute dont admit people based on how intelligent they are...they admit whoever pays them
    Oh, I know, I didn't mean they had an entrance exam ... but in general, it is only bright and committed students intent on maximising points who will go there and whose parents will spend that much.

Mind you, I guarantee they won't want to accept *too* many who they feel might bring their results down, even if they're able to pay.
    your speaking for your school and it may have been great like many others, but in citys and towns you will find some horrific schools. I dont think its nice to be told by three teachers i dont care what you do in life once i get my pay packet at the end of the week more or less.
    Oh, I know some schools are better than others, and some teachers are better than others; my point is that to be a good school you don't have to be a grind school. In fact, I would argue that grind schools, while they might be brilliant at being *grind schools*, aren't in general good schools as I understand the term. Put it this way ... if I ever have kids, I won't be sending them to one! :)
    A few issues here.
    Your first point. My apologies,I wasn't aware of their admission policy. I was basing this on the admission policy in Yeats which I went too. As far as I'm aware they allowed all potential students to join,I merely assumed this was the same with the institute,which,upon reflection,may be incorrect.
    No, as covered above, I was referring more to the type of students who tend to go there, rather than a set admissions policy.
    Also my post was at no point directed toward you. Apologies if you interpreted the post as calling you jealous,nor did I intend to undermine your intelligence. Of course it is possible to obtain excellent points in a public school,at no point did I even imply otherwise.
    However,there is nearly always a sense of jealousy in these threads. Not by everyone,I don't mean to paint people with the same brush,but when we're dealing with private bs. Public,it's inevitable,as not everybody is able to have the same opportunity as others,as unfair as that may be.
    Oh, I wasn't taking anything personally ... my point was more that many people, including myself, are not great admirers of grinds schools for many reasons that have nothing to do with jealousy, and it's unwise to just dismiss all critical comments as emanating from that.

As I say, you may get occasional comments with an element of that, but many of us have other reasons for our views.

Just a note for clarity, btw ... grinds schools are only one subset of those schools technically considered "private" in this country, which is why I avoid using that term in reference to them, as it often causes confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't like grind schools, I think it almost defeats the purpose of education. But for what the OP wants, they are better, with better being in the points race sense.

Oh, I know, I didn't mean they had an entrance exam ... but in general, it is only bright and committed students intent on maximising points who will go there and whose parents will spend that much.

Mind you, I guarantee they won't want to accept *too* many who they feel might bring their results down, even if they're able to pay.

Oh, I know some schools are better than others, and some teachers are better than others; my point is that to be a good school you don't have to be a grind school. In fact, I would argue that grind schools, while they might be brilliant at being *grind schools*, aren't in general good schools as I understand the term. Put it this way ... if I ever have kids, I won't be sending them to one! :)

No, as covered above, I was referring more to the type of students who tend to go there, rather than a set admissions policy.

Oh, I wasn't taking anything personally ... my point was more that many people, including myself, are not great admirers of grinds schools for many reasons that have nothing to do with jealousy, and it's unwise to just dismiss all critical comments as emanating from that.

As I say, you may get occasional comments with an element of that, but many of us have other reasons for our views.

Just a note for clarity, btw ... grinds schools are only one subset of those schools technically considered "private" in this country, which is why I avoid using that term in reference to them, as it often causes confusion.

i agree with all the bold except the last sentence:)

i agree with all the bold except the last sentence:)
    YOU'RE TELLING ME WHERE TO SEND MY KIDS TO SCHOOL?!!! :eek: :mad:

(I'm joking! :p ... I know what you mean.)

YOU'RE TELLING ME WHERE TO SEND MY KIDS TO SCHOOL?!!! :eek: :mad:

(I'm joking! :p ... I know what you mean.)

i would send my kids there but i dont mind if you differ :P

Thanks for clarifying randy,apologies for any misunderstandings.

Just out of curiousity,how do people generally differentiate between grind schools and private schools?

• Advertisement

are private board schools dunno would love to know the answer:D

Thanks for clarifying randy,apologies for any misunderstandings.

Just out of curiousity,how do people generally differentiate between grind schools and private schools?

A grind school would be something like the IOE or Hewitt college. Students attend for 5th and 6th year or maybe just 6th year ,with the soul purpose of their attendance being obtaining high points.

A private school is somewhere like Glenstall abbey or Rockwell college. Also fee paying but students attend from first year. Some of them place special emphasis on sports such as rugby. This is one of the main differences between grind and private schools IMO. Private schools have a great school spirit especially when competing in big competitions. Whereas I've heard stories of grind schools forcing sports stars to quit teams.

are private board schools dunno would love to know the answer:D

Yeah I think the majority of private schools have boarders as well as students from the locality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can't believe someone would pay that kind of cash. If you're going to put in the effort then do it as an external candidate and learn revision books off by heart. I've seen a fair few of the notes from the IoE and could see little difference between them and revision books in terms of details.

Um, not sure if we're at cross-purposes again (seems to be happening me in several threads to-night, which would suggest it's probably my fault!)

I meant that as grind schools are only a subset of private schools, I tend to avoid referring to them as "private schools", as it confuses.

Strictly speaking, the only public schools (in the American rather than the UK sense) are the vocational schools, community schools and a small number of comprehensives.

Secondary schools, or voluntary secondary schools as they are technically known, are owned and managed by private organisations, incl. religious communities, and as such are technically private schools, albeit day-to-day expenses are almost entirely covered by the state. Include here the local CBS, convent school, etc. etc.

A small number of these are fee-paying, and it is these which are generally referred to as "private schools" in conversation and even in the media, even though the category is wider as we saw above. Gonzaga, Clongowes, Kilkenny College, King's Hospital, Wesley, etc. are in this (sub)category. They do get some funding from the state, mainly teacher's salaries, but a much smaller proportion than other voluntary secondaries, and use the fees to provide additional teaching staff, facilities, etc. Ironically, in the UK these would be called "Public Schools"!

Confused yet? :D

And the final (sub)category of private schools are ofc the grinds schools like IoE, Yeats, Hewitt, etc.

Which is why I try to avoid using the term "private schools" for the last sub-category, as it tends to make sense to some and confuse others completely!!

(If you're banging your head against a wall at this point, I'm not picking up the medical bills! :P :D)

Haha no not at loggerheads randy I know what you meant. Thanks for explaining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Grind schools are not schools, they are businesses. Their staff, the qualifications those staff have and their rates of pay etc. do not have to conform to Department of Education or Teaching Council standards.

They are purely in the business of churning out people who can play the exam game. They encourage people to do subjects which have short courses, higher rates of A grades, subjects which are similar to others - purely to maximise points, not with any sort of educational purpose.

Real schools on the other hand are in the business of education, preparing people for life. They take whoever arrives at their door, whether they are literate or not, whether they need extra help or not. They try to give them a rounded education to leave as many avenues as possible open to them after school.

We could all be churning out people getting 500 points and more if we could pick and choose who we let in - private schools and businesses like the Institute have had restrictive entry policies for years.

I have no interest in making them take their fair share of standard students in this country - as a business they are interested in making money and they seem to have no end of people wanting their product - but it makes me laugh when I am asked to consider them an educational establishment or a school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

medsc wrote: »
    It was the best decision I ever made, I would highly recommend it! It is definately worth the money. I would even dare say that you're better off not repeating if you don't go there (but I might really get attacked for this comment :pac:)

Ok, so I'm not going to attack you :p but I do disagree.... I'm sure the IOE is amazing but it's an awful lot of money, especially if you can find a school with a specialist repeat year for a fraction of the cost. I repeated this year and when I was figuring out where I wanted to repeat my parents said that if I wanted to go to the IOE they would have no problem sending me... but I felt that I couldn't put them through that financial burden... I ended up repeating in a specialist year and it was the best decision! everyone in the year was as focused as I was because we knew it was our last chance... we had brilliant teachers who really dedicated themselves, even giving us extra classes over easter christmas and on saturdays. We didn't have to do subjects like computers etc and got a minimum of 5 study classes a week.. So if you feel you're dedicated and motivated enough to study on your own then think twice before spending all that money, your parents will have to put you through college after that! good luck

spurious wrote: »
    Grind schools are not schools, they are businesses. Their staff, the qualifications those staff have and their rates of pay etc. do not have to conform to Department of Education or Teaching Council standards.

They are purely in the business of churning out people who can play the exam game. They encourage people to do subjects which have short courses, higher rates of A grades, subjects which are similar to others - purely to maximise points, not with any sort of educational purpose.

Real schools on the other hand are in the business of education, preparing people for life. They take whoever arrives at their door, whether they are literate or not, whether they need extra help or not. They try to give them a rounded education to leave as many avenues as possible open to them after school.

We could all be churning out people getting 500 points and more if we could pick and choose who we let in - private schools and businesses like the Institute have had restrictive entry policies for years.

I have no interest in making them take their fair share of standard students in this country - as a business they are interested in making money and they seem to have no end of people wanting their product - but it makes me laugh when I am asked to consider them an educational establishment or a school.

i really couldnt disagree more. they offer what most public schools cant, and thats top quality teachers and a top class environment, they should not be downed for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I would recommend doing a PLC.

It would be much more benefitial as the Leaving Cert course gets boring after studying it for three years.

I have a cousin who repeated and ended up doing worse the second time. Too many people assume they will "try the second time around".

It just doesn't work that way, all your friends will be in 3rd level and you will be faced with the same challenge, which you already stressed yourself for months over.

Just wait and see how your points pann out and then decide.

Personally I would avoid repeating if at all possible but if you believe repeating is right for yourself then do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement