Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

institute of education good for repeating or waste of 10 grand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm not seeing this restrictive entry policy..maybe its just my personal experience but of the few people I know going to The Institute, they are far from the brightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

OP it's totally up to you. If you want to go and you have the financial means then go for it but if it will be a burden then don't bother.I didn't go to a grinds school but I went to one for a week of grinds over easter. I did french and maths, maths was because I really needed the help and french was just to make sure I got some work done (I have zero motivation to study it). The french teacher wasn't from the grinds school but a teacher from a public school who use to teach there years ago. She was pretty good, good notes, good explanations etc. I got the vibe that she didn't want to be there but aside from that she was great. Maths on the other hand. The teacher worked there and was pretty good. The only thing that really annoyed was when she came down to talk to one of her own students that was sitting beside me and told him not to bother coming in for the rest of the week because she'd only be covering basics for 'these lot'. Now if your in honours maths it's pretty much guaranteed you'l no more then the basics. Dont get me wrong everything she covered was really good advice and she gave some good tips and whatnot. But I wanted to actually gain something from the money I'd spent. But I suppose money can't buy you a good education.My best friend went to a grinds school after ty. He was determined that he didn't want to do arts and achieve at least 500 points. He's now praying every night to get enough points for arts. (I've nothing against arts I'd just like to clarify). My only point is that you aren't anymore likely to get amazing results in any school unless you do the work. It's impossible to learn every single thing that can come up for each subject, it's frustrating and boring. Especially when it's seven unrelated subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'd be pretty embarrassed to have to go to a grind school to get good results. Do students (or students' parents) have no faith in their (or their child's) capacity to do it without the maximum possible assistance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CokeyBear

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm not seeing this restrictive entry policy..maybe its just my personal experience but of the few people I know going to The Institute, they are far from the brightest.

I'll agree completely. Of the 4-5 people I know in the Institute, not 1 will break 400 points and they're all under the illusion they're going to do well because they're in the institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I don't think it's €15,000 to repeat at the Institute.. is a one year course not closer to €7,000? I'm only guessing, maybe you're planning on doing the two.

I repeated at a grinds school this year. I had friends who repeated in my previous, local school (which I have nothing but fond memories of- I learned an awful lot there, and not in terms of academics).

I understand the attitude that you can "do well anywhere". Absolutely, you can. However, the Leaving Cert. is a two-year course. For a repeat to make up ground, especially in a gargantuan subject like English, extra help in the form of notes/extra study are really important. It must be remembered that for a course like Medicine you are already competing with students who have been working solidly for 2 years at their course.

Grinds schools also offer new subjects. For a repeat student, these can be refreshing as well as providing points. I know I could not have taken all my old subjects last year at my local school because the timetable did not fit, plus I got to take up Ag Science. The actual environment of a grinds school is very focused and that's not a bad thing- I agree it is education's role to produce well-balanced students but that is not part of entry criteria. For me as a repeat, I learned a lot about myself and others, and made great friends in my local VEC school. But now I'm in a very different place and I have no problem saying that, for me, all that matters is results and points now so that I can get the course I so desperately want.

I'm not familiar with all of the Institute's teachers. I did go to some grinds and I have some of their notes from a cousin. I'm all for supporting hard-working decent teachers. My old Irish teacher was an absolute inspiration, correcting any amount of extra work and helping us in any way she could, whether it meant calming us down as oral exams crept closer or providing extra classes. Yet the notes from the IOE for that subject were, for the old curriculum, far and away the best I have ever seen.

When we had a problem with a teacher in the grinds school this year we complained and we got extra classes with another teacher. The same scenario last year in my local school, our principal was really understanding but powerless when the teacher denied not covering material with us and leaving it too late.

OP, there are other options. I would say that if you are absolutely committed to this, then the IoE is a great option. You could, however, keep most of the money and go to their revision courses or classes on a Saturday in the subjects you are weak in. Looking back I think that if I had been a bit braver and more confident in myself I could have done that. But then the study services at my school really suited and there was nothing of the sort on offer in my area.

It's you, and your parents', decision. Bear in mind nothing is guaranteed, the sacrifice they are making and the consequences of not getting Medicine this year.

Good luck making a decision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

wayhey wrote: »
    I don't think it's €15,000 to repeat at the Institute.. is a one year course not closer to €7,000? I'm only guessing, maybe you're planning on doing the two.

I repeated at a grinds school this year. I had friends who repeated in my previous, local school (which I have nothing but fond memories of- I learned an awful lot there, and not in terms of academics).

I understand the attitude that you can "do well anywhere". Absolutely, you can. However, the Leaving Cert. is a two-year course. For a repeat to make up ground, especially in a gargantuan subject like English, extra help in the form of notes/extra study are really important. It must be remembered that for a course like Medicine you are already competing with students who have been working solidly for 2 years at their course.

Grinds schools also offer new subjects. For a repeat student, these can be refreshing as well as providing points. I know I could not have taken all my old subjects last year at my local school because the timetable did not fit, plus I got to take up Ag Science. The actual environment of a grinds school is very focused and that's not a bad thing- I agree it is education's role to produce well-balanced students but that is not part of entry criteria. For me as a repeat, I learned a lot about myself and others, and made great friends in my local VEC school. But now I'm in a very different place and I have no problem saying that, for me, all that matters is results and points now so that I can get the course I so desperately want.

I'm not familiar with all of the Institute's teachers. I did go to some grinds and I have some of their notes from a cousin. I'm all for supporting hard-working decent teachers. My old Irish teacher was an absolute inspiration, correcting any amount of extra work and helping us in any way she could, whether it meant calming us down as oral exams crept closer or providing extra classes. Yet the notes from the IOE for that subject were, for the old curriculum, far and away the best I have ever seen.

When we had a problem with a teacher in the grinds school this year we complained and we got extra classes with another teacher. The same scenario last year in my local school, our principal was really understanding but powerless when the teacher denied not covering material with us and leaving it too late.

OP, there are other options. I would say that if you are absolutely committed to this, then the IoE is a great option. You could, however, keep most of the money and go to their revision courses or classes on a Saturday in the subjects you are weak in. Looking back I think that if I had been a bit braver and more confident in myself I could have done that. But then the study services at my school really suited and there was nothing of the sort on offer in my area.

It's you, and your parents', decision. Bear in mind nothing is guaranteed, the sacrifice they are making and the consequences of not getting Medicine this year.

Good luck making a decision!

in the bold sums up what grinds schools supply and its great! Some public schools are just about discipline... rules.... etc.... i know which one i prefer:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd be pretty embarrassed to have to go to a grind school to get good results. Do students (or students' parents) have no faith in their (or their child's) capacity to do it without the maximum possible assistance?
    If there's assistance available, why wouldn't you avail of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

jenny18 wrote: »
    planning to repeat next year and wondering if leeson streets worth the money worked out with accommodation school etc about 15,000 and want to know if its worth it? planning to do medicine got 179 in hpat.
    i think there is a saying, i used to tell my children,
    you will only get out of something, what you already put into it, it would be much better keep that ten grand for college, go back and do your leaving in the ordinary school, and use your time wisely, and if you need a few grinds, so be it, but i think it is a huge waste of money you will later need more badly, just remember it takes about ten and a half thousand to attend college for one year, between house rentals, unifersity fees, bus fares, food, electrical and heating, forget the style there will not be any for that, i am only speaking from experience

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Hi OP. I was in the exact same situation as you last year (i was going for a different course though)

I decided to repeat in the institute this year ans I can honestly say it was the best decision I ever made. It's more than a school. It's is a facility of sorts. I hardly ever opened a book at home. I did everything in school as i lived within walking distance to the school. You can study till 9 in the evening which is really great. You can also come in at 8 a.m to study which i thought was great to study for class tests. You can go into school and study on the weekends or during the easter and xmas holidays also. Which other school offers that?

The students are sound too. You will have no problems settling in. Teachers are second to none. They are approachable too, which always helps.

Also it doesn't cost 15 grand...Its 7 grand for one year and I stayed in digs which worked out at 2 and a half grand for the year. Anyway in my old school there was and administration fee of 5 grand because I was repeating. So it made my choice easier.

I'd say go for it. It's well worth it. You will get all the help you need to get the points. If your parents are fairly well off definitely do it. If they are going to have to make big sacrifices it's not worth it as you will have another 6 years in college after that if you get med.

Hope that helps.

irish_man wrote: »
    Hi OP. I was in the exact same situation as you last year (i was going for a different course though)

I decided to repeat in the institute this year ans I can honestly say it was the best decision I ever made. It's more than a school. It's is a facility of sorts. I hardly ever opened a book at home. I did everything in school as i lived within walking distance to the school. You can study till 9 in the evening which is really great. You can also come in at 8 a.m to study which i thought was great to study for class tests. You can go into school and study on the weekends or during the easter and xmas holidays also. Which other school offers that?

The students are sound too. You will have no problems settling in. Teachers are second to none. They are approachable too, which always helps.

Also it doesn't cost 15 grand...Its 7 grand for one year and I stayed in digs which worked out at 2 and a half grand for the year. Anyway in my old school there was and administration fee of 5 grand because I was repeating. So it made my choice easier.

I'd say go for it. It's well worth it. You will get all the help you need to get the points. If your parents are fairly well off definitely do it. If they are going to have to make big sacrifices it's not worth it as you will have another 6 years in college after that if you get med.

Hope that helps.

My school offered this and it's far from a grinds school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

My school offered this and it's far from a grinds school.

Nobody's saying that there aren't great public schools out there... but it's undeniable that not every school has the same high standards.

You're incredibly lucky to have had that in your school!

wayhey wrote: »
    Nobody's saying that there aren't great public schools out there... but it's undeniable that not every school has the same high standards.

You're incredibly lucky to have had that in your school!

I don't know of any school that doesn't offer this. I'm sure some schools don't but all that I know of do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Biff Tannen

All of these lengthily responses are so unnecessary.

If your looking for a response from a student that actually went there then here you go.

The Institute is pinnacle of second level education in Ireland. I spent two years there. And I wouldn't think twice about the money. I dont know what the big concensus is on that it costs and arm and leg. Its small money.

I would pay up to 20,000 for the two years.

You wont get medicine without it.

The best and most experienced teachers + The most intuitive notes + Best facilities + Decent atmosphere + Study halls open 7 days a week = Excellent results.

If you did well in your HPAT this year and dont succeed in getting over 480.. But if you spend at least one year in IOE and work harder than you did the first time, you can pretty much say hello to career in medicine.

If there's assistance available, why wouldn't you avail of it?

For the simple reason that I shouldn't, and don't, need assistance. And if I do, then there are probably more deserving people than me of the place in college I would earn.

I don't know of any school that doesn't offer this. I'm sure some schools don't but all that I know of do.

mine didnt

If your looking for a response from a student that actually went there then here you go.

The Institute is pinnacle of second level education in Ireland. I spent two years there. And I wouldn't think twice about the money. I dont know what the big concensus is on that it costs and arm and leg. Its small money.

The best and most experienced teachers + The most intuitive notes + Best facilities + Decent atmosphere + Study halls open 7 days a week = Excellent results.

If you did well in your HPAT this year and dont succeed in getting over 480.. But if you spend at least one year in IOE and work harder than you did the first time, you can pretty much say hello to career in medicine.

this is a great response:D go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Are you for real? Each year there are many, many people who start 1 of the 5 medicine degrees who didn't go to the Institute, or indeed any Grinds school.

Nobody can say the Institute teachers are the best in their subjects, I'm sure some are, but not all. Teachers, Notes, Facilities, Atmosphere and study Halls mean absolutely nothing and do not equal success unless you team them with the hard work and dedication of an individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I know many people who got Medicine without spending a penny on private tuition.
    You're forgetting one part of that equation, namely "Hard work".
    But if you spend at least one year in IOE and work harder than you did the first time, you can pretty much say hello to career in medicine.
    You've put down Marketing on your course choices, haven't you? :P
    For the simple reason that I shouldn't, and don't, need assistance. And if I do, then there are probably more deserving people than me of the place in college I would earn.
    You can be as high minded as you like but in an exam as competitive as the LC people will take any advantage they can get.

Sunny!! wrote: »
    mine didnt

Hence why I said 'I'm sure some schools don't'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hi, !MAVERICK!

/waves

• Advertisement

You can be as high minded as you like but in an exam as competitive as the LC people will take any advantage they can get.

"You" may, but "you" are not "people" in general. Or have you been appointed spokesperson for humanity recently? If so, congrats, though I'll be appealing the appointment. Otherwise, stick to using "I".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

E-e-e-asy now, folks!

Don't spoil my Friday night! :P

I'd have strolled into Medicine with my grades (580, didn't do a HPAT, but I've seen papers and it is the type of thing I'd excel at) if I wanted Med, and I went to a school where only one person before my year had gotten over 560.

Also, good luck on that career in Medicine without passing the degree first. Do you know how many people quit Med? I know a lot who did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

All I'm saying is, I ain't in the institute and I have the greatest Irish teacher in the country.

Hence why I said 'I'm sure some schools don't'

sorry i misread:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

You didn't need assistance,good for you.
    So people who get assistance don't deserve their place in college.
    So people in grinds schools,people who get grinds,get special allowances or any of the rest don't deserve their place in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I bet the IOE goes down well with the ASTI !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ramsay

Are you for real? Each year there are many, many people who start 1 of the 5 medicine degrees who didn't go to the Institute, or indeed any Grinds school.

Nobody can say the Institute teachers are the best in their subjects, I'm sure some are, but not all. Teachers, Notes, Facilities, Atmosphere and study Halls mean absolutely nothing and do not equal success unless you team them with the hard work and dedication of an individual.

Your wrong, you didnt go to the tute so you wouldnt know anything about it. The points for medicine actually rose because of the number of successful IOE students applying for it. The state fears the success of the Institute. 80 percent of 2012 future med students in Trinity, UCD, UCC, and The Royal College of Surgeons would of gone to the tute I can guarantee you! Wait and see all of the previous Institute alumni in the Irish Independent who are studying medicine.

Ive argued with you before on how the LC should be taught,and Ill argue against your complete negligence and uncertainty again. All teachers at the Institute are the best. I did 8 Subjects, ENG, IR , SP, MATHS, HIS, GEO, BUS AND ECO. I would never chose another person to teach me those subjects again apart from the Institute teachers. All of them were more experienced, knowledgable, and utterly dedicated to the success of their students compared to any of my previous teachers in my previous three schools.

And stop ranting against the Institute, no other second level school in Ireland offers a fraction of the facilities the tute offers. Its just too bad you didn't have the chance to learn from the best! And thats the bottom line . Slan go Foil!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The tute clearly doesn't teach much in the way of modesty, manners and being aware of ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ramsay

jumpguy wrote: »
    The tute clearly doesn't teach much in the way of modesty, manners and being aware of ignorance.

Oh no they do promote decent, nice young well mannered graduates like myself, its just I cant stand that lilmissciara !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement