Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

institute of education good for repeating or waste of 10 grand?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ramsay wrote: »
    You're wrong, you didnt go to the tute so you wouldnt know anything about it. The points for medicine actually rose because of the number of successful IOE students applying for it. The state fears the success of the Institute. 80 percent of 2012 future med students in Trinity, UCD, UCC, and The Royal College of Surgeons would of gone to the tute I can guarantee you! Wait and see all of the previous Institute alumni in the Irish Independent who are studying medicine.

Ive argued with you before on how the LC should be taught,and Ill argue against your complete negligence and uncertainty again. All teachers at the Institute are the best. I did 8 Subjects, ENG, IR , SP, MATHS, HIS, GEO, BUS AND ECO. I would never choose another person to teach me those subjects again apart from the Institute teachers. All of them were more experienced, knowledgable, and utterly dedicated to the success of their students compared to any of my previous teachers in my previous three schools.

And stop ranting against the Institute, no other second level school in Ireland offers a fraction of the facilities the tute offers. Its just too bad you didn't have the chance to learn from the best! And thats the bottom line . Slan go Foil!
    Post providing many, many lols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Your wrong, you didnt go to the tute so you wouldnt know anything about it. The points for medicine actually rose because of the number of successful IOE students applying for it. The state fears the success of the Institute. 80 percent of 2012 future med students in Trinity, UCD, UCC, and The Royal College of Surgeons would of gone to the tute I can guarantee you! Wait and see all of the previous Institute alumni in the Irish Independent who are studying medicine.

Ive argued with you before on how the LC should be taught,and Ill argue against your complete negligence and uncertainty again. All teachers at the Institute are the best. I did 8 Subjects, ENG, IR , SP, MATHS, HIS, GEO, BUS AND ECO. I would never chose another person to teach me those subjects again apart from the Institute teachers. All of them were more experienced, knowledgable, and utterly dedicated to the success of their students compared to any of my previous teachers in my previous three schools.

And stop ranting against the Institute, no other second level school in Ireland offers a fraction of the facilities the tute offers. Its just too bad you didn't have the chance to learn from the best! And thats the bottom line . Slan go Foil!
    This is the kind of attitude that makes me sick and the one that always presents students of schools such as the Instute of Education in a snobbish, rude manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

15 grand? internet costs about 20 quid a month, every bit of knowledge you need is there. granted, a bit spent on grinds correcting your english essays and such is probably necessary but you'll find once you go to college there'll be nobody holding your hand, spoon feeding you like you do in school. learn how to learn independently now, how to work your ass off and save your parents a big bag of cash, maybe even reward yourself with a nice holiday at the end of it (a fraction of 15 grand will get a cracking holiday!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Your wrong, you didnt go to the tute so you wouldnt know anything about it. The points for medicine actually rose because of the number of successful IOE students applying for it. The state fears the success of the Institute. 80 percent of 2012 future med students in Trinity, UCD, UCC, and The Royal College of Surgeons would of gone to the tute I can guarantee you! Wait and see all of the previous Institute alumni in the Irish Independent who are studying medicine.

Ive argued with you before on how the LC should be taught,and Ill argue against your complete negligence and uncertainty again. All teachers at the Institute are the best. I did 8 Subjects, ENG, IR , SP, MATHS, HIS, GEO, BUS AND ECO. I would never chose another person to teach me those subjects again apart from the Institute teachers. All of them were more experienced, knowledgable, and utterly dedicated to the success of their students compared to any of my previous teachers in my previous three schools.

Do you know how the points system works? Points for a course rise because the number of applicants to a course increases. If there are 20 places in a course, the top 20 get in. It doesn't matter where they have come from.

Funny, none of the students that have got into Medicine from the Community College I work in have gone to the Institute and that's just one school down the country. I imagine there are plenty more out there supplying medical students to the third level institutions of this country.

You may have had the best English teacher but you don't know how to use the world 'negligence' properly.

You may have had good teachers in IoE and you obviously think that they are better than your previous teachers, that doesn't mean there aren't teachers as good in other schools in the country. Not all the teachers in the IoE are qualified teachers.

Also anyone can put a book of notes together and photocopy it, hand it out and tell students to learn it off by heart for their weekly tests. It's called rote learning. Not exactly a new concept.

I've met plenty of students who are grind school students. Many of them are unable to think for themselves, if you ask them something that deviates slightly from what they have learned off, they are stuck. That's not the case with all grind school students, but it is a prevalent problem.

And as for the facilities. I've been in the IoE, it's not anything special. Classrooms, lots of stairs and corridors, plenty of nicer schools around the country, with better facilities and a bit more character.

Some of the best students I've known have excelled in their local school with nothing more than a desk and chair in the bedroom and the occasional trip to the local library on a Saturday morning.

The IoE takes in a lot of students and you can be damn sure that they'll be parading their 600 point students for the media come results day, but I bet they won't be mentioning the ones that got 300 points (not a bad result) despite the fact that they spent €7k to be 'taught by the best'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh no they do promote decent, nice young well mannered graduates like myself, its just I cant stand that lilmissciara !

Hi !Maverick! / Biff Tannen o/

I think this subject has been done to death and has been going in circles for a while. Whether the OP got anything useful out of it .... who knows! >.<

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement