Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

places to host a casual in dublin?

Options
  • 30-06-2011 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys looking for advice..

IRL clan are looking to organise a gaming day or weekend in dublin CC where do you guys hold casuals in dublin and what are the costs involved? i imagine we will get say 20 people together maybe few differences but say to cater for 20??

any advice or help would be much appreciated

DK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

XGC on Liffey Street is a good place for gaming meetups.

It's 20 euro deposit (You get this back at the end) and it's 2.50 (I think) per hour, you can split that among with the 20 people so won't be too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

thanks fergus do you have contact numbers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fergus_ wrote: »
    XGC on Liffey Street is a good place for gaming meetups.

It's 20 euro deposit (You get this back at the end) and it's 2.50 (I think) per hour, you can split that among with the 20 people so won't be too expensive
    hi is it 2.50 per hour per person? also do u need to bring your own consoles?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

hi is it 2.50 per hour per person? also do u need to bring your own consoles?

You deposit 20 euro to rent out an xbox and then pay 2.50 an hour to play, when your finished you get the 20 euro deposit back, so obviously if theyre is 4 or 5 of you there it would not be expensive at all.

Not 2.50 per person, just per console.

The whole upstairs of the place is filled with consoles and tv's so unless you have specific content on your xbox you want to have u dont need to bring a console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

So do most people have dual-mod sticks then? cause i remember seeing 'most people play on xbox in ireland' and 'we usually use the ps3's in there cause the tv's are better' I'm just trying to get a gauge of whether there'll be a few people there to play against if i show up with a ps3 stick. I've never gone to casuals or anything of the like before, i'd be really nice to go and play against some people offline and stuff...i'm just not sure where to begin :P So if anyone could give me some info on the where's when's and how's it'd be much appriciated. Prolly wont be till next month anyway, gonna need to get used to the stick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

aeonfusion wrote: »
    So do most people have dual-mod sticks then? cause i remember seeing 'most people play on xbox in ireland' and 'we usually use the ps3's in there cause the tv's are better' ;)

Do MOST people have dual mods? No.
    Since Kiki did a mass-order/installation for us, a lot more of us do but still not as many as you think. I think it's more likely people just have a couple of sticks (or pads, don't forget the pad players), and copies of games cross-platform.

When you're playing offline at someone's house, I don't believe there is any difference between Xbox or PS3. But online Xbox live is the preferred place to play games, and at the XGC specifically, the TVs connected to the PS3s are apparently better.
    I'm just trying to get a gauge of whether there'll be a few people there to play against if i show up with a ps3 stick.

No need to "gauge" anything. There's a thread posted for every casuals. Just reply and say "Hey if I come in with me PS3 stick, can I play someone?", and someone will probably say yes. I for example have a dual mod TE, and copies of most games on Xbox only (so you would need to bring PS3 discs for us to play). If no-one replies, try again next thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So do most people have dual-mod sticks then? cause i remember seeing 'most people play on xbox in ireland' and 'we usually use the ps3's in there cause the tv's are better' I'm just trying to get a gauge of whether there'll be a few people there to play against if i show up with a ps3 stick. I've never gone to casuals or anything of the like before, i'd be really nice to go and play against some people offline and stuff...i'm just not sure where to begin :P So if anyone could give me some info on the where's when's and how's it'd be much appriciated. Prolly wont be till next month anyway, gonna need to get used to the stick ;)

I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one dual modded stick there and that's all you need. Even if you don't people will let you hop on an xbox. I occasionally have to show up to casuals with no stick and no one minds.

Look, to be honest you're over thinking this. Just show up for casuals, introduce yourself, everyone will want to play you because your new. The sooner you show up to casuals the sooner you'll be getting knowledge of the more experienced players and the better you'll get, too.

everyone will want to play beat you you because your newyou suck.

edited for realism xD

ah don't worry doom, i overthink everything...bad habit ;)

righty oh so next time i see a casual's posted and think 'i can make it that date' i'll just say it in the thread and turn up. thing is i only have copies of the games for pc so i can't really bring discs or w/e :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Fibbers on Parnell St had a SSFII casual tourney last weekend. They'd be keen to host more I'd imagine. Anything to get you in the bar, obv.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Fibbers on Parnell St had a SSFII casual tourney last weekend. They'd be keen to host more I'd imagine. Anything to get you in the bar, obv.

41nQ4r0IXvL._SX342_.jpg

My fibbers shirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Ye a few of us were planning to go but we didn't bother in the end. From the event page on facebook it looks like they ran it off the SNES version though which is a pity, I asked on facebook if it could be run off the ST arcade release and they said yeah. Hopefully if they run it again they use a better version of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Ye a few of us were planning to go but we didn't bother in the end. From the event page on facebook it looks like they ran it off the SNES version though which is a pity, I asked on facebook if it could be run off the ST arcade release and they said yeah. Hopefully if they run it again they use a better version of the game.

I asked the organizer why and he mentioned something about MAME having a tendency to blink out. **** knows, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SNES version for the nostalgia -- and the perfect controllers!

Could've done the PS2 version though (Capcom Classics vol.2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Megadrive > SNES

Advertisement