Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Pc, help needed :D

Options
  • 30-06-2011 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi I am currently thinking about building a new computer and I would appreciate any advice from anyone on the matter my current build is

Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    ASUS P8Q67-M DO Rev 3.0, Sockel 1155, mATX, DDR3
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - Pro PWM Rev.2
    8GB-Kit DDR3 Exceleram Black Sark PC12800/1600, CL9
    Cooler Master 690 II LITE Midi-Tower - PURE Black Edition
    MSI Radeon HD 5770 Hawk, 1024MB, PCI-Express
    Super-Flower SF800P14XE Golden Green 80plus gold Modular
    WD Caviar Black 750GB SATA 6Gb/s

This is the bare bones of my build i have the graphics card already, I bought it quiet cheaply off a friend of mine. The parts I am most worried about are the ram and the motherboard. As far as the mother board goes I wouldn't have much of a clue on what to look for and tbh I am just looking for the best motherboard for the price. Also I don't intend to over clock the system at any stage in the near future so I assume the fan I've chosen will be capable of cooling the system. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

If you aren't OCing, don't go with the "K" Version of the i5 - Might aswel save yourself the money..
    The PSU (Although I may be wrong here) is a green one? From what I've heard Green = ****e
    mATX boards are normally for HTPC's and small PC. Maybe Consider a ATX board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Loudnova wrote: »
    Also I don't intend to over clock the system at any stage in the near future so I assume the fan I've chosen will be capable of cooling the system. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated :D.

If you don't plan on overclocking, you could save a few quid and get an i5-2400. You probably don't need an aftermarket fan, either, as the stock one should cover you fine.

Dunno if you were planning to buy from HWV, but there, your mobo isn't in stock, but the ASRock Pro3-M is, and that has 2 inbuilt USB3 ports, as well as 4 USB2. The Asus board you picked out doesn't have any USB3 ports, but 6 USB2. The ASRock also has a better soundcard, and is Z68 based, which is slightly better than a Q67..

You probably don't need an 800W PSU, either. 650W more than likely would fit your purposes fine.

Other than that, shtuff looks fine..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Tweaked a few things, this should be a better build overall. You can probably drop the heatsink as well, the only advantage would be a slightly quieter system.

Total build cost: €430.46 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 €150.21
    Gigabyte GA-P61-DS3-B3, Intel H61, ATX €61.58
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €54.98
    Cooler Master 690 II LITE Midi-Tower - PURE Black Edition, ohne Netzteil €64.25
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.19
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09
    Cooler Master Hyper TX3, alle Sockel €14.16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Loudnova

Thanks for all the help and advice guys it is much appreciated. Just wanna ask Deconduo from your tweaked build. If I wanted to someway future proof the system would I be better off going for the i5 2500k if i decide to overclock a year down the line and upgrade my GPU?

Would the Coolermaster fan be enough to maintain a cool system if i decided to overclock the processor?

Also is the gskill ripjaws a widely recommended brand of ram considering it appears alot in the threads in numerous builds, or is the difference minimal between it and the Exceleram?

Also I wanted to have a relatively high wattage PSU in case i decide to upgrade the graphics card down the line to something that requires much more power. And would the motherboard still be suitable if i did upgrade the graphics card some time down the line, to something along the lines of a 2 gig graphics card?

By the way sorry for the bombardment of questions, they are just out of curiosity since i am quiet new and this is my first build. I appreciate all feedback on the matter :D.

Also for the sake of not starting a new thread on something that is probably common information in these forums would i be able to buy a student edition windows 7 upgrade disc cheaply and install it on the system despite it having no previous windows OS?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yes the 2500k would be a fair bit more future proof. Overclocking is quite easy to do, so with a small bit of research you'll be fine.

Getting a better heatsink would allow you to overclock more, but the CoolerMaster one would allow you to overclock a decent amount before things got too hot

The ripjaws are cheaper and better quality than the excelram. Performance-wise there shouldn't be too much difference however.

A 550W PSU will handly pretty much any single graphics card system.

Using the student version will work, though officially you shouldn't do it. Google is your friend ;)

Here is an updated build for you:

Total build cost: €525.23 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €173.55
    ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €101.99
    Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, CPU-Kühler, für alle Sockel geeignet €33.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.38

You can drop the cooler down to the CoolerMaster one if you'd like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Loudnova

deconduo wrote: »
    Yes the 2500k would be a fair bit more future proof. Overclocking is quite easy to do, so with a small bit of research you'll be fine.

Getting a better heatsink would allow you to overclock more, but the CoolerMaster one would allow you to overclock a decent amount before things got too hot

The ripjaws are cheaper and better quality than the excelram. Performance-wise there shouldn't be too much difference however.

A 550W PSU will handly pretty much any single graphics card system.

Using the student version will work, though officially you shouldn't do it. Google is your friend ;)

Here is an updated build for you:

Total build cost: €525.23 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €173.55
    ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €101.99
    Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, CPU-Kühler, für alle Sockel geeignet €33.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.38

You can drop the cooler down to the CoolerMaster one if you'd like.

Thanks for the help once again. Got a few more questions if you don't mind :D.

When i am ordering the components i would like go with the site assembly feature, just for a tidy build professionally done :D. If I choose the ASRock Z68 Pro3-M (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX motherboard on the site which is 2 euro more expensive it his a VGA on board, I can choose the assemble it feature on the site . I assume it would be easy to replace the graphics card on board with my R5770 Hawk when it arrives with proper research?

Also as a pipe dream running dual screen with this setup (gaming on one and browsing on other) is this viable? I have researched it in relation to the graphics card and it seems quiet capable of doing it but would the overall system support it?

Thanks again for all the help so far much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Just on the Coolor Master TX3 Heatsink. I have it, and with the fan on 20% I get 20-25 on a OCed Phenom 840 (OCed to 3.7GHz) So you would get a pretty decent OC out of it on a i5 considering the price.
    Although, it's downfall IMO is when the fan is at 100%....It sounds like a jet engine! 0-50% though is fine.

**EDIT** Your card will be fine for gaming on one monitor and having a spare monitor for whatever. Almost all cards now support this. I run a 19inch acer as my main monitor for gaming (If I ever play games =P) And have a 19inch HDMI in screen beside it for whatever I want.

Advertisement