Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A distant memory of a c64 game!

Options
  • 30-06-2011 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

So years and years ago I remember having what I think was only a demo of a game on the C64 and I was the only one who actually played it for some reason. Anyway, it was a platform type game with a knight who just went around throwing axes at the baddies. That's pretty much all I remember! I think he had one of them feathery metal helmets too!

Any ideas at all? I'd be able to tell from a screenshot if it was the one :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Ghouls and Ghosts? Ghosts and Goblins? Only thing that comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The Arcade version of Ghouls n' Ghosts had a 'feathery' helmet. But not the the c64 version .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0PjgfHf5Q

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

thanks guys, that's not it though I'm afraid, the one I remember, the main character was about 30%/40% as tall as the main screen size. I don't think it was a popular game at all and part of any series, probably just a once off thing for the c64.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Golden Axe? Gauntlet? Axe of rage?

• Advertisement

None of them either :o

It wasn't a "cartoony" game like wonder boy and wasn't very bright or colourful and I think the "baddies" were just other soldiers and nothing too strange looking. It was a side on view only and you could only go left, right or up or down to another level, I think there was only 2 platforms you could go to, ground level, or higher level, the screen didn't move the higher you went or anything like that because you couldn't go any higher, so the screen would just move from left to right the further you went in the level. I remember the names of all the games suggested before, so I'd say these games were pretty popular, I'm pretty sure the game I'm thinking of wouldn't have been popular at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I think this is a pretty obscure one but I think I remember it - did it come with an issue of a commodore magazine by any chance? And was "greenfields" the intro music or one of the background tracks? I think there was also some cheat where you could walk out the side of a screen across a black background into a later part of the level...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sounds familiar to me too... I think I can picture the character too. Let me think about it for a bit... :)

Got it! Is it Artura??

Screenshots: http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/artura/screenshots

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Could be... I had it in my head that the feathery bit on the helmet was yellow though... :)

Hopefully cormie can put us out of our misery!

• Advertisement

rickyjb wrote: »
    Got it! Is it Artura??

Screenshots: http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/artura/screenshots

That could actually be it!! haha, well done :D

I tried searching youtube to see if there was any footage but only found this, a few more screenshots of it and I'm pretty sure that's the one! :)

Just found this actually, yep that's it, 97% sure :D

cormie wrote: »
    Just found this actually, yep that's it, 97% sure :D

Nice... :):cool:

I vaguely remember playing this, I don't think it was great though

Yeah, I think I was the only one who played it. Not much even, just had a memory of it and eating marshmallows and coco pops with the duvet on the sofa downstairs :P

They used to give a load of games away with those magazines they were great value, you'd get 7 or 8 across a couple of tapes each month ("Reel Force" I think the tapes were called).

It's weird the way you'd remember some of the obscure ones really well and others that you might've played more not so well (I was only 9 or 10 I'd say) I used to play one called "batty" a good bit, it was your standard keep the ball up with with a bat one but you get guns and fireballs and stuff which was good at the time. It was 2 player as well which was a laugh. And all this on a portable black and white telly!

I think this should be moved to the retro forum for further discussion:pac:

Not sure what happened when I posted post 12 and 13, I was meant to link 2 videos in the word this...

This is the video I was referring to in post 12:

and this confirms the game for me as I meant to link to in post 13:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really sorry to be jacking this thread but it reminded me of a magician game on the Snes. After some googling, I found it was Young Merlin, so many excellent childhood memories playing this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

rickyjb wrote: »
    They used to give a load of games away with those magazines they were great value, you'd get 7 or 8 across a couple of tapes each month ("Reel Force" I think the tapes were called).

It's weird the way you'd remember some of the obscure ones really well and others that you might've played more not so well (I was only 9 or 10 I'd say) I used to play one called "batty" a good bit, it was your standard keep the ball up with with a bat one but you get guns and fireballs and stuff which was good at the time. It was 2 player as well which was a laugh. And all this on a portable black and white telly!

I think this should be moved to the retro forum for further discussion:pac:

Lol I'm sure there are a fair few young whipper snappers here who had no idea games ever came on tapes or that even music used to come on them aswell :D

Used to get those ones myself, some real gems on them

I remember getting 5 pound a week off my folks and I would head straight to Finucane's in Limerick who sold C64 games for a fiver. Some of my best gaming memories on the C64. Yeah, games would take 30-60 minutes to load but thats what dinner time was for. Only bollix was when you ran back to the commoder to see the tape jammed and you would have to rewind it and start again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I remember getting 5 pound a week off my folks and I would head straight to Finucane's in Limerick who sold C64 games for a fiver. Some of my best gaming memories on the C64. Yeah, games would take 30-60 minutes to load but thats what dinner time was for. Only bollix was when you ran back to the commoder to see the tape jammed and you would have to rewind it and start again :mad:

ow the tape one i had that to, i knew some people had the fancy one with a cartridge, I loved the conan game on it that one really sticks out in my mind and paper boy ohhh and DIZZY he was an egg i think god i loved dizzy :)

• Advertisement

Dizzy was such an epic series! Conan was class as well with that 360 head chop move! One other game that always comes into my mind when I think of the C64 is The Detective. Great memories playing this, sparked my whole interest crime drama and detective games!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Remember Artura alright. Don't remember liking it though.

Ah, the C64, the memories
    "Shift-Lock" "Run-Stop" "Shift-Lock" "Play"...
    Then twenty minutes of pure seizure

I have to fire up the emulator tonight I think, what was the top down power boat racing game called can anyone remember???

River Chase?

riverchase10.gif

Can you think of the game that had you racing down water rapids but you were in a swim ring or swim tube floaty thing? Can't think of it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

sheehy would that game be Toobin

sheehy would that game be Toobin

Thats the one cheers man! ah the memories!

Spy vs Spy and The Last Ninja were both classics as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

sheehy83 wrote: »
    River Chase?

riverchase10.gif

Can you think of the game that had you racing down water rapids but you were in a swim ring or swim tube floaty thing? Can't think of it at all!

There was a "Dizzy Down the Rapids" game, i had the dizzy collection.

No it was a bit more fancy than those lol, a later game form early 90's I think.

Edit: Im actually thinking of pro power boat simulator by codemasters on the amiga :)

Remember when the "masters" part of codemasters meant something ?????

Advertisement