Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is better - male or female tenants?

Options
  • 30-06-2011 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

I hope it's ok to ask this question of seasoned landlords here. Who do you find is, in general, a better tenant males or females as regards damage to property, cleanliness, noise issues with music or parties etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I hope it's ok to ask this question of seasoned landlords here. Who do you find is, in general, a better tenant males or females as regards damage to property, cleanliness, noise issues with music or parties etc.?

Humans.
    They're either decent or idiots regardless of gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well, as a renter, I’ve always had a default rule when looking for a flat mate. When in doubt, rent the room to a nice country girl.

It's a rule that has served me well enough. Country girls tend to be from bigger families so they know how to pitch in, they're generally more friendly then people from Dublin (and I'm a Dub myself) and they often go home at the weekend so you don't have that many weekend parties going on to trash the place.

I know these are gross generalizations, but they are ones based on the people I’ve shared with over the years: country lads that bring their washing home in a GAA kit bag for mammy to wash generally can't find a hoover to save their lives. Dublin blokes are more likely to have local friends and tend to have a lot of noisey house parties and Dublin girls can be helpless slobs that leave GHD burns on your carpet and fake tan handprints all over the walls. Foreigners are often cheap, and some will treat the place the same way that the Irish tend to treat places when on a gap year abroad.

I've found that if you rent with a bunch if lads the place can turn into a bit of a kip, the same with a bunch of girls but rather then beer stains you get fake tan all over the place. Generally I find that a mixed share tends to keep everybody on their best behavior.

Of course, it’s easy to generalize, and in reality it's pot luck when it comes to picking somebody. The best thing you can do is interview every prospective tenant and go with your gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

conorhal wrote: »
    Generally I find that a mixed share tends to keep everybody on their best behavior.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

plus 1 on the mixed flat.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other between all female and all male.

Mind you have yet to come across a stick with nails and with what looked to be blood on it, in a female flat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

From my own experience as a renter who shared with both male and female tenants and spending time in other peoples houses....I have found that female tenants tend to be neater and cleaner with less damage to equipment and so on. However, I have seen bad female tenants and by christ would they give any fella a run for their money.

Just observations from my experience which is limited in the scheme of things...wouldn't be wise to draw any definate conclusions from it as such either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My own experiences would tend to reflect those of Conor- with the exception that in general- women have a bizarre attrition rate on household appliances- there was one girl who somehow managed to burn out 3 hoovers in a 6 month period, thank god for extended warranties. Also- while women might be neater and tidier in general- they are also higher maintenance, and if you're sharing a bathroom- forward planning becomes an absolute necessity......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

FIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote: »
    there was one girl who somehow managed to burn out 3 hoovers in a 6 month period
    She did know how to empty them, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Having rented places with both men and women over the years, I'd prefer to live with men. I just find that they tend to do their own thing and stay out of the way.

I have a guy moving in with me this week (previous tenant was a guy as well). It just works better for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Victor wrote: »

Often wonder how people manage to leave home, and are incapable of emptying a hoover , or bin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

article-1207768-020A3D4700000578-665_148x322.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

ants_lg.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Victor wrote: »

Did not, past tense, does now, present tense....... I liked the idea of having an industrial hoover- its costly- but it has a filter for hayfever etc- which is bloody brilliant. She had to pay for the first replacement. Rather surprisingly she didn't learn her lesson until hoover no. 3. She was quite reasonable after that......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Wyldwood wrote: »

My mother rents to Chinese. They're spotless and quiet as mice.

Advertisement