Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best student accommodation in Cork?

• 30-06-2011 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

If all goes according to plan I should hopefully be going to Cork in September and I'm just wondering which student accommodation is the best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

You'll have to provide a little more info than that I'm afraid. Which is best depends on location, and location depends on College and a little on course. Because for example you could be doing Med or computer science and be a lot closer to the accommodation that other people would consider far away. You could also want to be closer to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Sorry for the vagueness! I want to do Arts (please, hold the applause) and since I don't really know anyone else going to Cork in September, I was thinking somewhere where it is easy to make friends. I don't really know anyone to ask about student accommodation but I was also hoping for somewhere nice where I could possibly have my own bathroom? The thought of sharing with strangers freaks me out :o

Sorry, I feel really stupid typing "somewhere easy to make friends" but I truly am clueless concerning where to stay and I want to start booking stuff soon :/ I have also heard some woeful horror stories about student accommodation so I'm a tad...scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

danslevent wrote: »
    Sorry for the vagueness! I want to do Arts (please, hold the applause) and since I don't really know anyone else going to Cork in September, I was thinking somewhere where it is easy to make friends. I don't really know anyone to ask about student accommodation but I was also hoping for somewhere nice where I could possibly have my own bathroom? The thought of sharing with strangers freaks me out :o

Sorry, I feel really stupid typing "somewhere easy to make friends" but I truly am clueless concerning where to stay and I want to start booking stuff soon :/ I have also heard some woeful horror stories about student accommodation so I'm a tad...scared.

Somewhere, like Brookfield or Vic Mills you're mixed in with people randomly enough. You only get your own sink and mirror and shared bathrooms though. With houses people can tend to band together so friends get their own places together. That said I have come across the odd house where strangers are thrown together. It can depend on the landlord.

As far as I know Vic Mills has ensuites for everyone, this is assuming that if first years this year had them then everyone has them. Three of four have ensuites in Vic Lodge, but you pay a little extra. Brookfield is good for meeting people, and a little less than the other places, costwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Somewhere, like Brookfield or Vic Mills you're mixed in with people randomly enough. You only get your own sink and mirror and shared bathrooms though. With houses people can tend to band together so friends get their own places together. That said I have come across the odd house where strangers are thrown together. It can depend on the landlord.

Victoria Mills has en suites in every room (I should know, I've been here since 2007!) Very expensive though. Slightly cheaper if you go for a 3-bed instead of a 4/5/6/7 bed.

• Advertisement

I just put myself on the waiting list for Victoria Mills so hopefully I will get there! Does anyone know anything about the place University Hall? It looks really good from the pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fair_bad

Uni hall is **** and overly strict! Vic Mills or Brookfield are the places with the best banter! You can end up with 3 weirdos (as I did) in Vic Lodge!

Brookfield is pretty good. You just have to make sure that anything that is wrong is reported, and you have to keep nagging until it gets done sometimes, but it does get fixed. I made some great friends in Brookfield, it's a little easier that other places because you actually see people coming and going, because most other places are apartment blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

fair_bad wrote: »
    Uni hall is **** and overly strict! Vic Mills or Brookfield are the places with the best banter! You can end up with 3 weirdos (as I did) in Vic Lodge!

3, wow! I stayed with a guy who put his name on everything including eggs and his girlfriend lost her pet snake in the apartment. Thankfully, they were only there for 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

fair_bad wrote: »

Damn, don't want to be hearing that considering im gonna be living there this year, what was **** about it? and in what ways strict?

• Advertisement

I'm scared, hope I don't get crappy roommates :/ I'm on the waiting list for a few places now. Fingers crossed a lot of people don't get into Cork or decide to go somewhere else :P

danslevent wrote: »
    I'm scared, hope I don't get crappy roommates :/ I'm on the waiting list for a few places now. Fingers crossed a lot of people don't get into Cork or decide to go somewhere else :P

You'll probably get somewhere alright, don't worry about your roommates, I did, and everything turned out great in the end. There's always your neighbours if you don't get on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MichOS

Brookfield should be an utter palace. Paid deposit of €200 to reserve a place there and now I don't need it as I (happily, as it turns out) got my second choice, UCD. Just rang about a refund and they only give back €125! Of course I understand an administration fee, but they must be making a load if everyone who can't go there now makes them a gift of €75!

MichOS wrote: »
    Brookfield should be an utter palace. Paid deposit of €200 to reserve a place there and now I don't need it as I (happily, as it turns out) got my second choice, UCD. Just rang about a refund and they only give back €125! Of course I understand an administration fee, but they must be making a load if everyone who can't go there now makes them a gift of €75!

If you look at the terms, I think one of them is that you only get your full deposit back if you cancel before a certain date, and a minimum of €100 back I think.

Really? Deposit was only €200, and to think I got €250 back at the end of the year =/ weird

I cancelled today, as soon as the offers were out. It's still a rip off. €75 for two stamps and a bit of admin? I want a job like that!

I cancelled today, as soon as the offers were out. It's still a rip off. €75 for two stamps and a bit of admin? I want a job like that!

I'm pretty sure the first day is the results day, then the offers. I could be wrong, Brookfield are quite bad for taking money, and giving fines. Ring them up and complain, you might get it back. We complained about fines and didn't have to pay them. Worth a shot.

Aoi, you inspired me to a) find the small print and b) read it. There's nothing on the website but I tracked down the application form and it clearly states that the 'administration fee' of €75 is charged on any bookings cancelled after 5.00pm on 23rd August. I've sent them another email asking for a full refund as we're well within their own deadline. Hoping for the best, especially as we now have to find the money for accommodation in Dublin instead! Thank you. :)

Aoi, you inspired me to a) find the small print and b) read it. There's nothing on the website but I tracked down the application form and it clearly states that the 'administration fee' of €75 is charged on any bookings cancelled after 5.00pm on 23rd August. I've sent them another email asking for a full refund as we're well within their own deadline. Hoping for the best, especially as we now have to find the money for accommodation in Dublin instead! Thank you. :)

Ring them up too! I never emailed them, always either in person or on the phone. Do tell them about the e-mail too though.

Advertisement