Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot problems

Options
  • 30-06-2011 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Just put a build together in a cosmos s case. Power seems to be going to the motherboard (have a green light) however when I try and boot it I get nothing. The cosmos has that touch power button and I have seen online that it has caused some problems (this is a second hand case also).

What I am wondering is there something I can get to by pass the power button on the case in order to confirm that this is the issue. I dont believe it is possible to power it up directly from the motherboard.

Would appreciate any advise! thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Are you sure you've plugged in the power button headers to the right place on the motherboard? Are you sure you've got them the right way around if necessary? Coloured wire = +, black/white wire = -

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

ya I have tried them every way just to be sure! Have never had trouble with it before. Any idea on the best way to by pass the power switch on the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

basically the power button causes/creates a circuit between the 2 pins on the board.

so if you use a screwdriver and touch both pins at the same time it'll act like the power button being pushed. You only have to have it touching until the machine starts to boot.

deejer wrote: »
    ya I have tried them every way just to be sure! Have never had trouble with it before. Any idea on the best way to by pass the power switch on the case?

If you try to manually bridge the 2 power pins on the motherboard then with a screwdriver or jumper pin.

deconduo wrote: »
    If you try to manually bridge the 2 power pins on the motherboard then with a screwdriver or jumper pin.

Yep. that done the job alright thanks.

• Advertisement

mmmmm.....

fixed that I think. I had a old switch that I wired up to the power cable. It was powering up fine with the switch earlier but now - with everything connected up - it starts to power up and then after about 5 seconds it just stops. Might the power supply not be able for it?

I have an athlon iix3, gtx 250, samsung F3 hard drive, 6 120mm fans and one 200mm fan, dvd drive. Doesnt sound like much.

Tried removing the 250 and the 200mm fan but same result. Guess I will just start working my way back along to see.

Sorry forgot to mention it is a Corsair CX430

What PSU do you have? Does the computer POST before crashing? What happens if you try and boot it without the switch again, just by doing it manually again.

deconduo wrote: »
    What PSU do you have? Does the computer POST before crashing? What happens if you try and boot it without the switch again, just by doing it manually again.

Ya sorry its a Corsair CX430. I just removed the power cable and it worked :rolleyes:. Guess I am not so smart after all. Thanks

deejer wrote: »
    Ya sorry its a Corsair CX430. I just removed the power cable and it worked :rolleyes:. Guess I am not so smart after all. Thanks

Yeah the CX430 should handle that much no problem. You might have to RMA the case unfortunately, or at least have a look to see what the problem is with the power switch.

Are you sure you didn't get the reset button and the power switch mixed up? I did that once on one of my builds and it took me an hour to realise why it wasn't booting :P

Advertisement