Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in the US?

• 30-06-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Was just wondering if anyone had any information on doing a masters in the U.S. in computing...
    Other than that i was thinkin of doing one here. That would entitle me to an extended J1 i believe. You think i could defer it for a year and get the J1 first or would have to do the Masters.
    Or would anyone know anywhere in NY i could do the Masters.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

To study in the USA you need an F1 student visa, not a J1. They are quite easy to get once a university accepts you, as long as you have the funds (university fees over here are expensive, and you will only be allowed to work limited hours on campus).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

silja wrote: »
    To study in the USA you need an F1 student visa, not a J1.

I believe you can choose to use either an F1 or a J1 in certain circumstances. Eligibility to apply for entry on a J1 depends on meeting a number of criteria covering things like funding (i.e. a fully-funded PhD student should qualify for a J1 for example, if I remember right.)

OP, you should so some research into which choice will work best for you as there are different pros/cons to each. Going on a J1 means that any spouse/dependent will be eligible for a J2 work permit, for example. F1 gives you F1-OPT and F1-CPT permits to work.

Lots of great universities in and around NY. US News ranks Cornell (Ithaca, upstate NY) and Columbia (NYC) pretty highly in Computer Science. Carnegie Mellon, Princeton and UPenn are all reasonably close as well, MIT is in Boston. NYU CS isn't in the US News top 20, but still pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

cerebus wrote: »
    Lots of great universities in and around NY. US News ranks Cornell (Ithaca, upstate NY) and Columbia (NYC) pretty highly in Computer Science. Carnegie Mellon, Princeton and UPenn are all reasonably close as well, MIT is in Boston. NYU CS isn't in the US News top 20, but still pretty good.

Several Ivy league schools in that list! Unless you can obtain funding to do the masters, you would need a rather large wad of cash to attend most of these schools. Try looking into scholarships etc, or opportunities to do a masters in Ireland but spend a year in the US as part of it..... Most people here leave university with huge debts, but as a non-american Im not even sure you would qualify to be able to apply for loans etc to pay the fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I say look at funding first and then move from there.

The John T. and Elizabeth Downs Cartan Scholarship is available to students studying at Saint Xavier University in Chicago, Illinois. Applicants must demonstrate financial need. As stated on the Saint Xavier University website, the scholarship will be awarded "to a student from Ireland, to a student from the Republic of Ireland, preferably from a Mercy secondary school in Trim, County Meath or Scoil Mhuire." If no student from Ireland applies for the scholarship, it will be awarded to an American student who is both of Irish descent and from Cook County, Illinois.
    • Saint Xavier University
      3700 West 103rd St.
      Chicago, IL 60655
      773-298-3000
      sxu.edu

http://www.fastweb.com/scholarships-directory/ethnic-scholarships/irish-41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Kathnora

Is it true that if you obtain an F1 student visa for doing a masters that you have 30 days grace following the expiry date on your visa in which to leave the U.S. and return home to Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Kathnora wrote: »
    Is it true that if you obtain an F1 student visa for doing a masters that you have 30 days grace following the expiry date on your visa in which to leave the U.S. and return home to Ireland?

I think it might even be as long as 60 days - whatever it is, you certainly do have a period of time between the expiry of the visa and when you have to leave the US.

F1 holders can also apply for what is known as OPT (optional practical training) which gives you a 1-year work permit for either pre-or-post graduation. The idea is to get some work experience related to your degree. I used this - transitioned from F1 to F1-OPT at the end of my studies then onto a H1B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Kathnora

Many thanks for that reply, cerebus. Much appreciated.

Advertisement