Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Treats for Fussy Kids

Options
  • 30-06-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking for ideas (easy and quick) for giving kids snacks during summer and not cereal bars etc.

What do ye give ur kids - i would give a biscuit after lunch and after dinner but thats it and treats on friday if there good but im lost as for healthy treats....

Please help

xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Carrot sticks,
    grapes, frozen grapes as well,
    berrys,
    apple slices( toss in a lil lime jiuce to stop browning)
    nuts(not salted)
    Cubes of different cheeses(cheddar, gouda, edam)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Get them making homemade spelt cookies or scones. You can add in carob pieces to give them a chocolate taste. You'll find recipies online. Freeze chunks of watermelon, they are so tasty and you can add small chunks to a glass of red wine,very nice!!Make popcorn, when it's cooked you don't really need to add any butter just a pinch of salt. Might remember more,if so-I'll be back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I stick petits filous or yoghurt in ice lolly moulds and freeze em..

Also freeze grapes and strawberries and then blend them with some yoghurt for a healthy bowl of home made ice cream.

Havy fun by peeling apples, coring them with a corer, slice them thinly and stick a wooden spoon handle or bamboo cane thru the middle and let them dry out in the sun..

You can also make dried bananas but you need to dry them out slowly.

Toast some sunflower seeds by just rolling them about in a hot pan for approx 3-4 mins...they taste nicer than untoasted ones!

Make your own crisps, use a potato peeler and peel slices of potato, swede, carrot, sweet potato, parsnip, but dab the excess moisure off first then deep fry.

Raw mangetout peas..

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

No offence to you Bengalover but Petit Filous are loaded with sugar, they are lethal to a childs' sugar levels and teeth. The other suggestions though are fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

In actual fact Petits Filous have less sugar 10.2g/100g than the comparable Glenisk Fromage Frais 12.8g/100g

Glenisk contains 1/2 teaspoon more sugar per 100g than Petits Filous.

Most adult yogurts contain approximately 14g per 100g.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

my 22month old loves
    small slices of apple drizzled with small bit of cinnamon and honey.
    I also very lately started to make banana bread , he just loves it ,
    other treats include :
    strawberries, mango's , blueberries , banana's

sometimes a smoothie of coconut milk with strawberries , pineapple's

he also loves slices of ham and slices of cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

We can't keep dried cranberries in stock - just had to buy a 2.5kg bag b/c we go through so much so quickly. Similar for all other dried fruits (raisins, apricots, bananas, goji berry/date mix).

I also just made some natural yoghurt the other night & blended it with a banana & blackberries we had leftover in the freezer from last Autumn's berry picking session. Yum!

Also sliced red/orange/yellow peppers.

Everyone's suggestions here are making me hungry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Keep it simple! We give cheese, crackers, yoghurts and fruit. Everynow and then I make homemade scones. Hot chocolate as a special treat or a smoothie.
    At weekends they can have an icecream or packet of crisps or haribo sweets. I don't keep these in the house though but if we go out at weekend they can buy one of these for themselves for after dinner. Or the odd time I'll buy them a treat on the way home from work. If it's not in the house they can't ask for it!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

homemade popcorn, with no added salt butter or oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Get one of those icepop makers and put fresh orange juice in them.

Honey and crackers.....yum (I think thats more of a me treat then kids lol but they love it to)

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

BengaLover wrote: »
    I stick petits filous or yoghurt in ice lolly moulds and freeze em..

I do something similar with low fat yoghurts... normally the cheap ones from L*dl/Ald*. However I buy cheap lolly sticks and just shove them in the pots, no need for moulds then!

Also stick lolly sticks in bananas and freeze them!

I do something similar with low fat yoghurts... normally the cheap ones from L*dl/Ald*. However I buy cheap lolly sticks and just shove them in the pots, no need for moulds then!

Bananas on their own??? peel them??

Bananas?? Do you peel them??

Ooops sorry I thought that didnt go through :o

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

Justask wrote: »
    Bananas?? Do you peel them??

yep, peel and cut in half!... Once frozen they can be dipped in yoghurt and frozen again!

Advertisement