Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Irish 2012

• 30-06-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can someone please give me a run down on what i need to know/study for honours Irish LC 2012? I'm an external student and any of the syllabus' i have found online are confusing!

Tanx
    Maria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

I'm in the same boat as you. The syllabus I found on the education website was completely as Gaeilge and way above my level of Irish so I'm screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

The oral exam is worth 40% (240 marks) and consists of:
    Greeting (name, age, address, date of birth, exam no.) for 5 marks (1%)
    Reading one of the five prescribed poems (selected at random- you'll have it in front of you) for 35 marks (6%)
    Picture Sequence (one of twenty selected at random -available at www.examinations.ie) for 80 marks (13%)
    Conversation/ Comhrá for 120 marks (20%)

Paper One is worth 27% (160 marks) and consists of:
    Aural Section for 60 marks (10%)
    Essay or Story or Debate or Article for 100 marks (17%) [400- 450 words]

Paper Two is worth 33% (200 marks) and consists of:
    2 Comprehensions at 50 marks x 2 (17%) [also includes a grammar question]
    Studied Prose at 30 marks (5%)
    Studied Poetry at 30 marks (5%)
    Additional Poetry/ Prose at 40 marks (7%)

You must study the following prose compositions (all found in an Irish textbook):
    Hurlamaboc (specific extract from it - in textbook)
    Seal i Neipeal or An Gnáthrud
    Oisín i dTír na nÓg
    Dís
    An Lasair Choille (drama) or Cáca Milis (short film)

You must study the following poems:
    Géibheann
    Colscaradh
    Mo Ghrá-sa (idir lúibíní)
    An Spailpín Fánach
    An tEarrach Thiar

For additional poetry/ prose you either study all the extra 5 poems (A Chlann, Caoineadh Airt Uí Laoghaire (codanna de), Fill Arís, Colmáin, Éiceolaí) or one prescribed novel/ drama/ autobiography:
    An Triail by Mairéad Ní Ghráda (all)
    A Thig Ná Tit Orm by Maidhc Dainín Ó Sé (Chapters 1 to 8)
    Tóraíocht Dhiarmada agus Ghráinne (pg. 1 to 78)
    Gafa by Ré Ó Laighléis (pg.4 to 64)
    Five short stories from Canary Wharf by Orna Ní Choileáin ( Saineolaí Teicneolaí (Lgh. 17 – 32); Canary Wharf (Lgh. 35 – 48); Cosaint Sonraí (Lgh. 69 – 86); Cúrsaí Eitilte (Lgh. 129 – 146); Mil (Lgh. 149 – 167)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mariok

Thanks!! Which book would you recommend for honours? I know its early but i'm starting from scratch....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

mariok wrote: »
    Thanks!! Which book would you recommend for honours? I know its early but i'm starting from scratch....
    I have Fiuntas (Edco) which I find to be very good. It does notes and sample answers at the end of every poem and prose. However, it does not do the additional literature. We did A Thig Na Tit Orm (read from novel) and our teacher gave us her own notes. We use Liofa for oral and aural.

Advertisement