Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion on Deep space 9

Options
  • 30-06-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Have recently began watching repeats on Sky and am again taken by the atrocious costume design. Garack who is supposedly a tailor looks like a hobo. The Bajorian uniforms are ok for the thin but if you ever come across a fatter soldier-they look like large pyjamas that reveal a lot of girth.

Bar starfleet they all look like something dreamed up by a guy who plays a lot of golf or dropped a huge amount of acid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yes I agree with this. Odo looked like a giant sh1t with his earth brown costume. He was meant to be head of station security and was wearing a brown one piece. How is that meant to signify authority. Ok in the 24th century people have evolved beyond authority blah blah blah, fine, but to a 20/21st century viewer the costume design is an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Yes I agree with this. Odo looked like a giant sh1t with his earth brown costume. He was meant to be head of station security and was wearing a brown one piece. How is that meant to signify authority. Ok in the 24th century people have evolved beyond authority blah blah blah, fine, but to a 20/21st century viewer the costume design is an abomination.

All the Bajorian uniforms including his looked a bit Maoist .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

...Dreamed up by a guy who plays a lot of golf or dropped a huge amount of acid.
    Your saying that like its a bad thing.... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

TOS would be the place to go for pyschedelic uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DS9 was also interesting in that we saw for the first time(ish) some other races in civvies, Cardasians, Bajorans, Klingon (that chef guy), Ferengi without a head wrap. that kind of thing.

But yeah, some of the fashion on the show was criminal.
    Jake Sisko wore some horrific pieces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DS9 was also interesting in that we saw for the first time(ish) some other races in civvies, Cardasians, Bajorans, Klingon (that chef guy), Ferengi without a head wrap. that kind of thing.

But yeah, some of the fashion on the show was criminal.
    Jake Sisko wore some horrific pieces

Not so, the civvies on the planet Edo were quite interesting :D (TNG, S1E8)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

It looked like most of them done their shopping at the one clothes shop. They all nearly looked like one another. Must have been a recession in the 24th century. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I've always hated anything design related in DS9. The station and it's interiors are ugly. Only exceptions are the cool new uniforms and the Defiant.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I've always hated anything design related in DS9. The station and it's interiors are ugly. Only exceptions are the cool new uniforms and the Defiant.

I think DS9 is a thing of beauty :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IvySlayer wrote: »
    EnterNow wrote: »

Ditto...

As for the uniforms.. hmmm I'd have to say late TNG/Wrath of Khan era for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I thought Quark had cool clothes.

I think this thread is too nerdy for even here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EnterNow wrote: »

while that may be so it's an insanely stupid design for a space station come mining operation processing plant.

what's with all the wasted space throughout it and those ridiculous docking pylons, whose going to lug cargo up and down them to a ship...

it is of course due to Treks obsession with a 2d plane, all ships and station always in the same plane. Why not just have 3 or 4 docking rings offset from each other looping around the station as 45, 90 and 135 degrees from the vertical for example. but then ships would be at all sorts of funny angles...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Kojak wrote: »
    It looked like most of them done their shopping at the one clothes shop. They all nearly looked like one another. Must have been a recession in the 24th century. :D

The Promenade isn't exactly Liffey Valley, in fairness. No H&M, no Penneys, no Topshop/Topman. The residents of DS9 were truly disadvantaged.

AngryLips wrote: »
    The Promenade isn't exactly Liffey Valley

Gene Rodenberry's vision of a brighter future then didn't go to waste on Rick Berman it seems.

Advertisement