Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne vs Sydney

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Doc wrote: »
    Sorry thought you were looking for a premiership game not the all-Ireland but I still think my point stands there are loads of pubs in the CBD there just arent that many that might show the all-Ireland but I am very suprised that you couldnt find anywhere with it on because there are are still a good lot of Irish pubs in the CBD.

Ah there are loads of Irish pubs there but they were all closed... which I thought was surprising... that wouldnt have happened in Sydney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Re: watching GAA in Melbourne:

Before I got the sports channels, the only reliable bar to watch GAA was Bridie O'Reillys on Lt Collins and even then I always phoned them to check beforehand!

Pretty sure I checked this place out but it was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I thought he meant, didn't make much sense to me?
    Well Doc? did you?
    There's not goign to be many Bogans in either city.
    In Sydney, around the north side of the harbour, or the eastern suburbs. These are some of the more posh areas about.

Maybe if you went way out west, but that not the city anymore and i'm sure the same applies in Melbourne.

Whatever kind of people you are after I'm sure they all exist in both citys.
    Maybe if Lebanese gang boss wannabes are your thing you'll rather sydney, or Greek crime wannabes if you rather wearing suits then hit melbourne.
    But other than that I think there's not going to be much difference.

No I didn’t mean that Sydney was full of Bogans only that Melbourne has a lot of hipsters. I only meant it as in Bogans would be at one end of the scale and hipsters on the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Only reason you can find more places to watch All Ireland, Premiership matches, HEC Rugby in Sydney is because it has a higher tourist/backpacker/Irish population.

That doesnt neccessarily make it a worse city btw.

I've been to Sydney and I live in Melbourne. I've also been to many other cities all over the world(solid brag) and I have to say, I absolutely adore Melbourne. It has everything for me.

Beaches are crap enough but they are there.
    It has all the sports you could ever want. AFL Grand Final. Tennis. Rugby league in the stormers, Union in the Rebels (who will be a serious team next year), the Tennis. The F1. Soccer in Heart and Victory. Its quality.

I live just off Chapel street so I dont have any problem whatsoever with bars/clubs. Im close to St.Kilda if I want that backpacker buzz and Im an 8 min train ride from the city if I want to go out there. I never have any problem finding a bar thats enjoyable.

It definitely is more of a fashion conscious, hipster town though, on the train in this morning I was the only person wearing something other than black, white, grey or navy.

The weather is relatively crap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It definitely is more of a fashion conscious, hipster town though, on the train in this morning I was the only person wearing something other than black, white, grey or navy.

Shorts, t-shirt, red faced and polishing off a shaker of ON Choco-mint :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement