Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio Engineering vs Bio Sciences

• 30-06-2011 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello,I'm a Leaving cert student who has just completed the L.C forthe second time. I'm hoping to achieve medicine this year, but if not,I'd nice options to fall back on.

After a bit of research,I find myself torn between Biomedical Engineering and Biomedical Sciences.

Just hoping to get some opinions on which is the better choice,It would be very much appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

AFAIK with Biomedical engineering what you will be studying is the construction of medical devices, replacement hips, artificial heart and the like. So more engineering than bio.

In terms of the biomedical sciences, here you will study the human body, how it works, what happens when it goes wrong and why. So more the biology side of things.

So the question you have to ask yourself is, which would be prefer? Remember if you are thinking of doing graduate entry into medicine after you gain your degree, any degree will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Also if your doing any engineering degree make sure you like maths, lots of maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pegmin

Biomedical engineering wins out! Thanks for the posts!:)

Advertisement