Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Shop in Cork City

Options
  • 30-06-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭

Mine is Vibes & Scribes just off MacCurtain St. I always seem to pick up a few books in there, its usually nice and quiet in there too and the staff are pleasant to deal with.

What's yours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

Yes, Vibes & Scribes is great when it's quiet inside and raining outside - you'll always discover something of interest, ancient and new. It's not so great if you want to sell them books, though, rates are pretty poor. I suppose shops come in and out of favour according to your interests at a particular time. Just now, I'm re-decorating an old house and see nice things in Yesterdays in French Church Street. Marcus's, off North Main Street, is another little shop I find interesting, with a discerning collection of framed prints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I could spend hours in Marks Models on Oliver Plunkett St. It's like being a little kid again looking at all the toys models:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Paddy Power in Pembroke Street. Free tea and coffee all day if you want it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

that ould cash converter place or whatever they changed the name to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Does anyone know if the shop over tony's bistro is still open?
    I got a fly swat gun in ther before xmas last year and I might pop in again soon if it's still open.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

ditto to Vibes and Scribes. I rather like the old style charm of the Paul Street bookshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

My favourite shop was closed down, along with all the other similar shops around the country, due to a change in legislation. :(

+1 on vibes, good spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

My favourite shop was closed down, along with all the other similar shops around the country, due to a change in legislation. :(

+1 on vibes, good spot.

head shop? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

booboo88 wrote: »
    head shop? ;)
    I have now developed an interest in horticulture. :D
    Got a great book on it from vibes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Strangely enough for me its Insomnia Cafe. I've taken to sitting in there for 2-3 hours at a time writing or catching up on work emails or whatever, and nursing a few coffees, using their free wi-fi. They must be sick of the sight of me, I suppose spending a fiver over 3 hours may not be their key demograph :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm starting to become obsessed with Mr Simms on Oliver Plunkett St:P

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I'm starting to become obsessed with Mr Simms on Oliver Plunkett St:P
    seconded......raspberry bonbons :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Peg Twoomey's :D:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I know its a bit out :-P but maplins is quickly becoming my favourite shop :-)

I know its a bit out :-P but maplins is quickly becoming my favourite shop :-)

I would have said maplin if they weren't so overpriced

7.60 for a can of gas i can get for 2 pound in england. Or 59e for that Yuasa NP7-12 battery you can buy online for 16e

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Needler wrote: »
    I would have said maplin if they weren't so overpriced

7.60 for a can of gas i can get for 2 pound in england. Or 59e for that Yuasa NP7-12 battery you can buy online for 16e

Ya I agree they are overpriced but still loads of cool stuff in there.

Ya I agree they are overpriced but still loads of cool stuff in there.

True I usually go into them alright when I'm in England to have a look around but only when I'm stuck for something I go into the one in cork. The one in Cork is never that busy either can't imagine them making a whole lot of money out of it, maybe not so many people in Cork who are into that sort of shop

Needler wrote: »
    True I usually go into them alright when I'm in England to have a look around but only when I'm stuck for something I go into the one in cork. The one in Cork is never that busy either can't imagine them making a whole lot of money out of it, maybe not so many people in Cork who are into that sort of shop

I'd love it if they moved into the centre of the city somewhere,I'd say they'd get busy then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Vibes and Scribes

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Shop in the English Market (the entrance from Patrick Street) I can never remember the name of the shop but it sells lots of brick or brack, old and new - vintage stuff etc. I love it and have to peep every time I go by (and usually spend). I'm sick of the the big shops that have taken over Patrick Street etc. for years I wished for all those English Chain Stores - and now that they are here - Cork is starting to look like any other High Street anywhere. We need to keep some of our little individual Cork Shops. (Having said that I'm a huge hypocrite - as I love TK Maxx but does that count when it sells everything from anywhere/everywhere). No I cannot justify I am a traitor - but I'm a "shabby chic" fan - so gotta mix the old and new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Compub, I just go in for a look and end up battering my bank account.

Judes wrote: »
    Shop in the English Market (the entrance from Patrick Street) I can never remember the name of the shop but it sells lots of brick or brack, old and new - vintage stuff etc. I love it and have to peep every time I go by (and usually spend). I'm sick of the the big shops that have taken over Patrick Street etc. for years I wished for all those English Chain Stores - and now that they are here - Cork is starting to look like any other High Street anywhere. We need to keep some of our little individual Cork Shops. (Having said that I'm a huge hypocrite - as I love TK Maxx but does that count when it sells everything from anywhere/everywhere). No I cannot justify I am a traitor - but I'm a "shabby chic" fan - so gotta mix the old and new.
    kilkenny is the perfect place for that :) love shoppin in kk.......esp butterslip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

when I was younger and had money I liked to head into HMV and grab a few CDs and DVDs but now I realised how much money I've spent in that place over the years and now it's just fairly crap anyway.

If I had to pick a shop I'd have to say Waterstone's and of course John Buckley Sports, great staff and always have the stuff I need in stock but I avoid town these days unless I really need to go in for something.

when I was younger and had money I liked to head into HMV and grab a few CDs and DVDs but now I realised how much money I've spent in that place over the years and now it's just fairly crap anyway.

If I had to pick a shop I'd have to say Waterstone's and of course John Buckley Sports, great staff and always have the stuff I need in stock but I avoid town these days unless I really need to go in for something.

true enough, aload of tripe in there lately. bring back virgin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Amity and Plug'd!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

rorrissey wrote: »
    Amity and Plug'd!

oh yes, for about Plug'd, great store.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,441 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I used to love Football Crazy, pity its gone now:(. They had the best selection of jerseys and just had a generally friendly atmosphere.
    I also like Waterstones

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I know this isn't a shop but I love the Imperial Hotel - I just think it has a charm about it and everything time I go in there I think of the history (Michael Collins spent his last night there, Charles Dickens stayed there amongst others).

Love Lafayettes cafe in there too - the wraps and sandwiches are nom nom and you can sit there for ages with a cup of tea and you don't feel rushed out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Keane's Jeweller's

Drooling over the Patek's, Rollies and Omegas :P

• Advertisement

Ahhhh waterstones how could I have forgotton you

Advertisement