Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Shop in Cork City

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ahhhh waterstones how could I have forgotton you

Anyone else think that Waterstones is way too expensive? I've never yet picked up a book in there for less than a tenner and their 3 for 2 offer means you go in there to buy one book and you end up getting 3 of them! ;)

Vibes and Scribes, on the other hand, is a great place to pick up a bargain book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anyone else think that Waterstones is way too expensive?

I do, I like to go in there have a look but I just end up going hone and ordering what I liked from amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Villette

Some of the choices here are interesting! I don't shop in Vibes and Scribes on principle, but used to like it. I do like Amity but it's quite overpriced and there isn't really a nice atmosphere in the shop.
    I don't know if it counts as a shop but I love O Connells, so nice in the Winter! Ruby and Peacock in the English Market is lovely too and the new-ish vintage shop on Washington St is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Villette wrote: »
    Some of the choices here are interesting! I don't shop in Vibes and Scribes on principle, but used to like it.
    Why don't you shop in Vibes and Scribes? What happened to make you stop liking it? (if it's not too personal a question to ask)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Why don't you shop in Vibes and Scribes? What happened to make you stop liking it? (if it's not too personal a question to ask)

Do they still have the piano plate (I think that's what it's called) hanging up on the wall of the shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Keane's Jeweller's

Drooling over the Patek's, Rollies and Omegas :P

Managed to get a glimpse of the price of one of the Patek's in the window today and it was 30-something grand. It took me ahile and a fair bit of neck-twisting so the physio will be delighted! Class watch (from the proud owner of a Seamaster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Managed to get a glimpse of the price of one of the Patek's in the window today and it was 30-something grand. It took me ahile and a fair bit of neck-twisting so the physio will be delighted! Class watch (from the proud owner of a Seamaster)

Ah Omega's..so good I bought two!
    I wonder if they've ever actually sold a Patek though.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Scott's for Tools on North Main street, but I haven't been in ages

McQuinlans on Oliver Plunkett St., but same story as above.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I like tubes too but its rare I buy anything in there because there so damn expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Home Star on North Main St. - just next to the pub with the scaffolding put up.

Cent Wise where all the old retro consoles are - way too expensive though considering you can get them much cheaper online.

Vibes & Scribes - As people have said, great shop for books. Their 20% off everything sale was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I agree with Tea Shop in Imperial Hotel also - I love sitting there and chatting with friends over a cuppa, just soaking up the atmosphere - the history, the tourists - it's that old/new combo again. Feels like a proper tea-rooms - just wish the service was a bit faster at times. J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

^ Is this separate from the café on the right as you walk in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

FTGFOP wrote: »
    ^ Is this separate from the café on the right as you walk in?

No that's the one they're talking about alright - on the right as you come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

No - it's the same place - cafe / tea rooms on the right as you enter hotel vs. restaurant further back. I love the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Italee on Oliver Plunkett Street. Greatest coffee in Cork. And such incredibly good food.

Also Dunnes on Patricks Street because it's the first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

gubbie wrote: »
    Italee on Oliver Plunkett Street. Greatest coffee in Cork. And such incredibly good food.

Is that the new place that opened down at the lower end, kind of across from Milanos or Market Lane?

Have to jump on the bandwagon with everyone else, I love Vibes and Scribes, the Bridge Street one moreso. I also really like this little shop on McCurtain Street called Little Buddha. They do a massive selction of teas and flavoured coffees. Highly recommend the Belgian Praline or the Bailey's coffee. Nom Nom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

Anyone else think that Waterstones is way too expensive? I've never yet picked up a book in there for less than a tenner and their 3 for 2 offer means you go in there to buy one book and you end up getting 3 of them! ;)

Vibes and Scribes, on the other hand, is a great place to pick up a bargain book.

i still go in, but more often than not if i see something(s) i want, i'll check bookdepository online first, usually a third of the price with fee shipping.
    they do still do great deals though, 3 for 2's and whatnot, and having a loyalty card is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

number10a wrote: »
    Is that the new place that opened down at the lower end, kind of across from Milanos or Market Lane?

Have to jump on the bandwagon with everyone else, I love Vibes and Scribes, the Bridge Street one moreso. I also really like this little shop on McCurtain Street called Little Buddha. They do a massive selction of teas and flavoured coffees. Highly recommend the Belgian Praline or the Bailey's coffee. Nom Nom!!!

Ya exactly. It surprised me. About €5/6 for a great quality sandwich and only €1.50 for an espresso! Mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I like cash connectors too on MacCurtain St. Love browsing around there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 juli123

i can be hours in TK Maxx :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Or even 6 years!!!

Advertisement