Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Post

Options
  • 30-06-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I've applied for and being called to interview for a secondary principal post in my own school. Some A post/assisstant principals are going for it. I have the 1st year of my M.Ed done neither of the other 2 have but they have 10 years seniority over me. One has a DIP the other doesn't.

My questions are as follows:
    1. What chance do I have against them?
    2. What study is vital for the interview?
    3. What should my main selling point be in the interview?
    4. What should I wear?
    I'd really like the job or at least not make a show of myself!! Please help me do a good job.

Muffin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wear a suit or something smart.

The type of school will make a big difference in terms of what questions they could ask.

In some places they will want someone who just ticks it all along as it has been going, in others they will want someone who will shake the place up and give the staff and students new vision and impetus.

What is your admin experience?

What do you know of DEIS (if applicable)? Enrolment policies? School policies in general?

What is your vision for the school? Where would you see it being after ten years of your leadership?

What is your opinion on recent curricular changes/use of technology in education/special needs cuts?

What will/could you do to improve/maintain retainment/attainment levels?

What would you do if faced with poor attendance among students? Among teachers?

You could prepare a small laptop presentation on your vision for the school. I know of at least two recent Principal positions that had this as a requirement.

Without knowing the type of school, I can only say in the VEC system the 'score card' is quite transparent, looking at service to the scheme, qualifications and ability to meet the needs of the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

firstly, don't even think about the others experience etc because when it comes to Principal Post, its the best person gets it overall.
    You need to sound brilliant, brilliant and brilliant. Blow your own trumpet, be all things to all people, be the saviour. Be confident, know all about WSEs and recommendations, don't be afraid to suggest improvements in the school. Talk about the 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004 and amendments to 1998 acts. For VEC school, don't forget the VEC acts and recent ammendments.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 32 andrewg1981

Instead of starting a new thread I will post here.

Principal Interview coming up on 24th. Anyone any insights in to the questions that are being asked at these over the last 4-6 months.
    Had 2 last summer so not sure how much they have changed if any.

Thanks for any guidance that anyone provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Primary or post primary?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 andrewg1981

TheDriver wrote: »
    Primary or post primary?

Post primary.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Are these competency based interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Competency based interviews are not new, merely a new name for well structured, searching interviews of old.
    However most schools use this approach nowadays for Pr/DP jobs.
    The application form will tell you what areas you must study particularly closely. Ethos/vision, organisation management, curriculum development, change management in addition to personal motivations, competencies etc.
    You should spend huge time on your application form, particularly your thinking behind your answers.
    Don't get hung up on any one area in particular, it is important to be able to delve into all aspects of the role as you see it. Very few, if any, applicants will be expert in all areas.
    Best of luck to both of you.

Advertisement