Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone pics

Options
  • 30-06-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi folks not sure if I'm actually in the right forum for this question but i'll ask anyway. i have a load of videos on my phone memory card that i would like to put on my laptop. Problem is media player cant play them. Is there some way i can change the format or something on the videos to allow me to play them thru media player and maybe burn them on to a dvd? any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Windows media player just doesn't have the codec to play the files. You could get VLC player which will let you watch those files and almost any other media file type or you can download the codec for windows media player so it can play those files.

And this wouldn't be the proper place to ask either, try Computer & Technology next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

when you look at the files on the Pc what is the extension ?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

thanks fluffy.. sorry about that. i wasn't sure what forum to ask in.
    who the fug.. the extension? is that 3GPP??

if you google 3GPP player you will see various options, to solve this problem, Realplayer being one of them

Why would you use Realplayer when you can get VLC?

I forgot to mention in my first post, you can burn the files to a disc and it should be playable by most dvd players. But I couldn't be 100% if they are. What I do it I use a DVD+RW (a dics that you can write to as many times as you like) and burn the stuff to that first to check does it work with my dvd player. Once I know it works, I then burn the stuff to a normal DVD+R disc. If it doesn't work, get a converter and try again :) This will save you a small fortune in discs :P

• Advertisement

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Why would you use Realplayer when you can get VLC?

I forgot to mention in my first post, you can burn the files to a disc and it should be playable by most dvd players. But I couldn't be 100% if they are. What I do it I use a DVD+RW (a dics that you can write to as many times as you like) and burn the stuff to that first to check does it work with my dvd player. Once I know it works, I then burn the stuff to a normal DVD+R disc. If it doesn't work, get a converter and try again :) This will save you a small fortune in discs :P

For us none geeks what is VLC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

An open source media player.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

:eek: you called me a geek :(

Generally it's easiest to google such questions ;)

An open source media player.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Thank you, have book marked and will down load at home

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Another good one is the K-Lite codec pack, can use the included Media Player Classic - Home Cinema to play all your media files :)

• Advertisement

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    :eek: you called me a geek :(

Generally it's easiest to google such questions ;)

Look you uses a 3 letter abbreviation expecting everyone to understand so my first thought was geek, but if you want to be called a consultant I will :p

Sometimes Google can be a menu in French when you did Spanish at school

It's name is VLC player :P

And google is anyone's best tool for research, you should start learning french if you can't understand how to use it because it will save alot of headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

folks thanks for all your replies.. i downloaded quick time and it actually played my vids.. thanks for all your help everyone

Advertisement