Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA Allowance query

Options
  • 30-06-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I am a 26 year old student and I am trying to figure if I will qualify for BTEA Allowance.

As I understand you have to be on a job seekers or an other similar type of payment for 9 months before you can qualify, but I am uncertain as to whether I have to be on this for 9 months in a row before I can apply for BTEA????

I have been on Job seekers allowance for in total of about 10 months but it has not been 10 months in a row, I have saved up for a few months then went off travelling then came back to do the same thing again,

Does this mean that I will qualify for BTEA??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shock85

As far as I know, open to correction tho, it must be 9 continuous months immediatly prior to commencing the course

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 simply_j

Hi guys,

The 9 months is cumulative not consecutive.

Only posting as I am 100% sure on this.

Apparently though you have to be in receipt of a social welfare payment directly before applying for BTEA, meaning you cant go straight from being employed to getting put on BTEA.

So Ive been told anyway.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

simply_j wrote: »
    Hi guys,

The 9 months is cumulative not consecutive.

Only posting as I am 100% sure on this.

Apparently though you have to be in receipt of a social welfare payment directly before applying for BTEA, meaning you cant go straight from being employed to getting put on BTEA.

So Ive been told anyway.

Hope this helps.

The only exception to this is if you were made redundant then the 9 month wait dosnt apply

neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Just have a question on the BTEA Application. It says you need information from the college proving you are a full time student. The other day, I got a letter from UL saying i was offered a place on the course i wanted and had to accept the place. Will this letter suffice for the application or will i have to wait to get something back from the college saying that i have accepted the course??

Thanks in advance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Just have a question on the BTEA Application. It says you need information from the college proving you are a full time student. The other day, I got a letter from UL saying i was offered a place on the course i wanted and had to accept the place. Will this letter suffice for the application or will i have to wait to get something back from the college saying that i have accepted the course??

Thanks in advance!!!

when i applied for my BTEA last year i used the offer letter - but other people on my course after accepting the course asked the college to confirm acceptance and they got a vauge letter stating that (individual name) has accepted a place with this college and is due to enrole on (insert date here).

either should be fine. chances are you will get approved for BTEA and when you pay fees or enrole they will give you your student pin etc. and a letter that confirms you are enroled and you will have to provide a copy of that letter to start getting your BTEA payment into bank.

hope that makes sense. good luck with your course.

neonitrix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 elexus86

Thanks in advance!!!

Hey
    Ya that letter will do. You will need to get a copy of the registration letter to get your book allowance and for your money to be put into you bank account.... You will not get this until you register.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Where did you hear this? I'm on JSA since February, so if it's 9 consecutive months I will miss out by about 40 days and will not be able to claim BTEA. However I was on JSA last year for about 6 months also, and your words may be my only saving grace! Can you or anyone else confirm this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭susiebubbles

"If you wish to attend a third level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*) immediately before you start the course. *If you are getting a jobseeker's payment, each day you are unemployed, except Sunday, is counted as a day of unemployment"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html#l1f4da

I was told that there is discretion and every case will be taken on its own merit so it's always worth applying.

"If you wish to attend a third level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*) immediately before you start the course. *If you are getting a jobseeker's payment, each day you are unemployed, except Sunday, is counted as a day of unemployment"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html#l1f4da

I was told that there is discretion and every case will be taken on its own merit so it's always worth applying.
    Thanks for your reply, may I ask where you heard this? I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it would make such a difference to me having to move to Dublin by myself!

I went in to my local social welfare office and asked about it for my brother (he was looking to do a masters) and the guy said that it was decided on a case by case basis, every claim was decided on it's own merit.

When I applied myself last year there was an officer specifically for BTEA available and he advised me that people who were "advancing" and "progressing" with their career got the BTEA and if it would enable me to advance and progress then it would be likely I would get it (he said those words several times). I took it to mean they wanted those words on my application form, this was the vibe I was getting from him. I was in receipt of a social welfare payment for 12 months at the time.

I've found the people working there helpful if you have a query, it's worth going in and seeing if your local area has an officer for the btea and asking what s/he thinks.

Also apply to your VEC to have fees paid if your going to third level. You won't get the grant but fees will be paid. Good luck!

Oh and my office would only accept a letter from the college stating I was a registered student with a start and end date although they may accept other documents in other areas.

• Advertisement

thanks a million susie, you've cheered me up no end! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BarbsN

I was told that although I had been on the dole long enough to qualify for the BTEA that I shouldn't apply because Masters courses are not covered, nothing higher than a H Dip it seems! I'm 27 now and I got my degree in 2005.
    The grant option is not really working out that well for me because I'm living with my folks and that makes me a 'dependant'.
    Any advice people....

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

On the same topic, is someone who was on BTEA allowance last year, and on unemployment assistance during June and July, take up part-time work and still get BTEA allowance (for continuation of course) in September? Also, what happens when they are called onto a tus placement scheme for interview, having already explained in writing that they wish to advance to 2nd year of degree in Sept?

I was told that although I had been on the dole long enough to qualify for the BTEA that I shouldn't apply because Masters courses are not covered

Who told you that? I went in and asked for my brother, he was looking to do a masters and the guy in the SW said to send in the application anyway as it was all judged on merit. I'd put it in anyway see what happens. You've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

bmarley wrote: »
    On the same topic, is someone who was on BTEA allowance last year, and on unemployment assistance during June and July, take up part-time work and still get BTEA allowance (for continuation of course) in September? Also, what happens when they are called onto a tus placement scheme for interview, having already explained in writing that they wish to advance to 2nd year of degree in Sept?
    I'm going into second year this September and I had btea last year. The SW told my partner last week that I wouldn't qualify for btea next year as I was now working and wasn't in receipt of a welfare payment for 3 months prior to next September. I was livid when she told me as it was contrary to everything I had read or heard previous.
    In the end I went in myself and questioned them. It turned out that the didn't know much about btea at all. They weren't aware you could work for the summer, or during the course year. She was all ready to close my claim until I started quoting the welfare.ie then she went to consult with someone at another office. No harm done in the end as she then came back and said I was fine and entitled to work and continue on btea from September. Phew! I was a bit worried that something had changed and I was unaware.
    So just be careful as the SW don't always know what they are talking about, its not a good idea to take the first "NO" you hear lying down as there is quite a good chance the person could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BarbsN

Thanks for the advice guys..I'm going to send the form off and see how I get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Hi BarbsN best of luck and dont forget to let us know how you get on

Advertisement