Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM 2011 Change of Mind - Fees Info

Options
  • 30-06-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

So as most of us know the deadline for change mind with CAO is tomorrow July 1st at 17:15. So if you haven’t made up your mind now’s the time to do it!

Given that I have yet to make up my mind I've been ringing the universities trying to get confirmation on fees. I know this is a major worry for a lot of people and is more than likely going to have a huge bearing on where I go in September.

As it stands UCD are unable to confirm the amount payable but they expect it to be in the region of €14,300 for first years including student contribution, NUI fee and Vaccinations(€13,915 or all other years).
    This represents an increase in €800 over last years figure due to a decrease in the HEA grant from €11,800 to €11,000.

RCSI have put up a guideline figure of €16,440 for first years including student contribution, IT Fee, NUI fee and Vaccinations(€16,055 for all other years).
    This represents an increase of €1,300 over last years figure, €800 due to the HEA grant decrease and €500 due to the increase in the student contribution by the government from €1,500 to €2,000.

I spoke to RCSI this morning expressing my concern at the increase in fees and they were very helpful and seemed generally concerned when I explained the current situation with our loan limit of €25,000 and they even mentioning that they had concerns as well given the recent directives on doctor's pay and overtime.

Now for the important bit
    RCSI are having a meeting tomorrow at 11am to discuss finance and fees for GEM, there will be discussions with a view to possibly absorbing the increased costs for students.
    RCSI will post the outcome of the meeting here tomorrow by lunch or failing that I’ll get back on to them and post it myself.

It’s very last minute, but heck it could still be good news for any other on the fence types like myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

any word on the fees for UCC and UL? I assume they are the same as UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

bubbleking wrote: »
    any word on the fees for UCC and UL? I assume they are the same as UCD?

I haven't managed to get figures for the others but given they are state run like UCD I reckon that they too will see an increase of €800 due to the HEA grant cut.

The €500 increase in student contribution should not effect the fees, it doesn't in UCD as the goverment has reduced the amount payable by €500 to off-set it.

Its effectively a measure for undergraduates to get them to pay an extra €500 per year without increasing the overall fee paid to the university. The complications with RCSI arise as it is not state funded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

RCSI are having a meeting tomorrow at 11am to discuss finance and fees for GEM, there will be discussions with a view to possibly absorbing the increased costs for students.
    RCSI will post the outcome of the meeting here tomorrow by lunch or failing that I’ll get back on to them and post it myself.

[/COLOR]

ooh! interesting! thanks for that - interested to hear how that pans out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caz_von

Beans and toast for the next 4 year...*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Top stuff Polly. Exactly the thread I was hoping to see today. I'm stuck in 27 degree Nice en ce moment, struggling to find the apostrophe key, but I'll find some where to get online to make the final decision tomorrow. Talk about leaving it til the last minute. It's like an episode of 24. A terrible episode of 24.

I can spend tonight considering how much RCSI would have to reduce their fee in order for me to change back to them...

15k might swing it for me. If anyone from RCSI is watching...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 RCSI Admissions

So as most of us know the deadline for change mind with CAO is tomorrow July 1st at 17:15. So if you haven’t made up your mind now’s the time to do it!

Given that I have yet to make up my mind I've been ringing the universities trying to get confirmation on fees. I know this is a major worry for a lot of people and is more than likely going to have a huge bearing on where I go in September.

As it stands UCD are unable to confirm the amount payable but they expect it to be in the region of €14,300 for first years including student contribution, NUI fee and Vaccinations(€13,915 or all other years).
    This represents an increase in €800 over last years figure due to a decrease in the HEA grant from €11,800 to €11,000.

RCSI have put up a guideline figure of €16,440 for first years including student contribution, IT Fee, NUI fee and Vaccinations(€16,055 for all other years).
    This represents an increase of €1,300 over last years figure, €800 due to the HEA grant decrease and €500 due to the increase in the student contribution by the government from €1,500 to €2,000.

I spoke to RCSI this morning expressing my concern at the increase in fees and they were very helpful and seemed generally concerned when I explained the current situation with our loan limit of €25,000 and they even mentioning that they had concerns as well given the recent directives on doctor's pay and overtime.

Now for the important bit

It’s very last minute, but heck it could still be good news for any other on the fence types like myself.
    Graduate Entry Programme (RC101) EU Fees 2011 / 2012 - Confirmed 14.30hrs 1.7.2011

Tuition Fee 25,780
    Less HEA Grant 11,000
    Less RCSI Grant 1,700
    Plus IT Fee 475
    Plus Student Contribution 2,000
    Total 15555

Other charges to be aware of (one off payments)
    NUI Fee 135
    Student Vaccination Programme 250

Best regards,

RCSI Admissions

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shrugging Atlas

Yillian,

Just to let you know - today is the close of change of mind date for CAO, not tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Realised this while flicking through my phone at 17:12....

Spent a tram ride thinking about the missed chance, but ended up with the same conclusion anyway. Wouldn't have changed it.

Less than five weeks then til the next bit

Advertisement