Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying online Vs Supporting Local Business

• 30-06-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just placed an order for a KTM Strada 2000 in my local bike shop, via the Bike2Work Scheme.

My first road bike in a while so I will be buying all the associated accessories!

Now I wanted pedals that I could use with regular runners e.g. the Shimano A530/520 as well as cleats and decent shoes to go with them.

My bike shop quoted me 65 euros for the pedals alone.

ChainreationCycles.com and Wiggle have them for 35-45 euro. In general most of the accessories are cheaper online but I would feel a bit guilty walking into the shop to pick up my bike and asking them to fit all the bits and bobs I order online.

What do you guys generally do? Can anybody comment from the viewpoint of a shop owner?

Cheers,

M

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Go to a website that shows you how to fit pedals etc.... and do it yourself.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've bought one bike from a shop, that was about 15 years ago.

I did try again a couple of years ago, but the process was so frustrating I just ordered the parts online and paid a mechanic to assemble them.

After that I've built my own, apart from the wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just bought wheels (ksyrium sl) from lbs same price or cheaper than online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I know that Cyclesuperstore have a price match on Shimano with CRC, so theres at least one LBS who is competitive on Shimano...plus who knows...maybe they will even fit them for you for free...(if they charge then walk away)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Fitting pedals is not exactly a higher level mechanical skill. If you were talking about building a bike from parts, fair enough, bring it to someone, but I think you could manage to fit a pair of pedals on your own. You just need to remember that the left one is reverse thread so you don't just tighten it trying to get the old ones off. You always move the spanner towards the back of the bike... unless the bike is upside down, no wait, it is still the same even with the bike upside down, unless you are using pedals that take an Allen wrench in the spindle; then it is the other way around, no wait, it's still the same, back of the bike. Feck it, bring it to a professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How To Put On Pedals.

- Grease pedal threads.
    - Stand over or under bike.
    - Hold pedals against their respective holes in the cranks.
    - Spin the cranks backwards until both pedals are finger tight.
    - Tighten to "righty tighty" level using allen key or pedal spanner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Joeyde

You just dropped a grand in their shop? I think they can fit some pedals for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 norris

a friend owns a bike shop so normally i get everything at cost plus vat. Was looking you get a pair of shimanio wheels and was told that i would save myself 70 euro if i got them on merlin. Cant really blame the LBS on their prices after i saw this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you bought the bike at the shop, I'm sure they'd be happy to fit them for you. Then again, fitting pedals is one of the easier tasks to do. Like replacing a tube, the best thing to do is just give it a go yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gercso

just bought wheels (ksyrium sl) from lbs same price or cheaper than online

Sounds good! For some reason I prefer to get all my parts in bike shops rather than online and if the price that I get from a shop is better then its even better. Just wondering where did you get the ksyrium sl wheels? They must have great prices on them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

HI Morf, was thing about getting the KTM 2000 also I reckon its worth the extra 250-300 to get the 105's?

The best price I can see to get it for is €1299, if you dont me asking did you do ny better?

Thanks

Advertisement