Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc destroyed by Xbox

• 30-06-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭

Anyone else had this problem?

Borrowed a game off a mate, COD - Black Ops, and after playing it for a good while it froze on me a couple of times in a row on startup.

So took out the disk, went to clean it but there was a perfect circular ring midway from the center of the disk to the outside of it.

It's annoying because I don't mind picking up a second hand copy to replace it, but whats to stop this happening other games I have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

modchip and a hard drive.

it's not piracy if you pay for and own the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Just bring it in to Smyths and get it cleaned for €3. Does the job grand

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Xcellor, do not post comments like that again.

FG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Spacedog wrote: »
    modchip and a hard drive.

it's not piracy if you pay for and own the games.

Why do you need a modchip?

You can just install games onto the Xbox HDD as standard. No need for a modchip unless you are in fact considering piracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Anyone else had this problem?

Borrowed a game off a mate, COD - Black Ops, and after playing it for a good while it froze on me a couple of times in a row on startup.

So took out the disk, went to clean it but there was a perfect circular ring midway from the center of the disk to the outside of it.

It's annoying because I don't mind picking up a second hand copy to replace it, but whats to stop this happening other games I have?
    Perfect circular ring suggests the worst.

If you move your console while there's a disc in the machine, it'll make a circular scratch and wreck the disc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Orim wrote: »
    Why do you need a modchip?

You can just install games onto the Xbox HDD as standard. No need for a modchip unless you are in fact considering piracy.

Dont mean to hijack this thread, just a quick question when I saw this comment.

I bought an xbox 250GB slim last christmas for myself (my first console since I was given the bad ass original NES with mario and duckhunt back in the 80's :eek: )

I see I can install my black ops on the hard drive of the console but it still asks me to insert the disc before I can play? Is that normal? I see no difference in noise or anything like that when playing either from disc or hard drive so whats the benefit of playing from the HD if any :confused:

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Demosthenes

perfect circle says to me that you must've moved the console while the disc was spinning, it's happened to a game or two of mine before.

solution is to not move the console at all when its on and to always take the disc out if you plan on moving the console...

LaVail wrote: »
    Dont mean to hijack this thread, just a quick question when I saw this comment.

I bought an xbox 250GB slim last christmas for myself (my first console since I was given the bad ass original NES with mario and duckhunt back in the 80's :eek: )

I see I can install my black ops on the hard drive of the console but it still asks me to insert the disc before I can play? Is that normal? I see no difference in noise or anything like that when playing either from disc or hard drive so whats the benefit of playing from the HD if any :confused:

Thanks

Disc is still needed to play when the game is installed, just that the disc isn't being used to read info from. As regards noise though, the Slim doesn't make that much to begin with but it should be as good as completely silent with the disc installed, if not then you may have a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

niallon wrote: »
    Disc is still needed to play when the game is installed, just that the disc isn't being used to read info from. As regards noise though, the Slim doesn't make that much to begin with but it should be as good as completely silent with the disc installed, if not then you may have a problem

Yeah thats what had me worried, the console makes the same amount of noise either way, sometimes It get really loud. I have it laying flat on the table and not standing upright, none of the vents are blocked and I never move it when its on so dont know why its making a buzzing noise. Its covered by warranty still so im not too worried if it gives up. At least it wont cost me anything to fix it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its about vibration and moving the console, we get alot of cals in about this. Long story short the console is a senstive soul and if you make any jerks when the console is spinning a disc you're gonna have a bad time.

Try smyths disc replacment, failing that try activision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

Just bring it in to Smyths and get it cleaned for €3. Does the job grand

Not with this problem I'm afraid... The gouge proves to be very deep :(

Did they refuse? I've had some horrific laser burns brought back in to me but I'd rarely deem a disc unfixable. Usually even the deepest can at least be repaired to the point where it will work if installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

Did they refuse? I've had some horrific laser burns brought back in to me but I'd rarely deem a disc unfixable. Usually even the deepest can at least be repaired to the point where it will work if installed.

Chanced my arm with MW2 while in Galway. "Talk to Microsoft" :(
    Swindled Xtravision into a free copy though so everything was ok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

It's not laser burn. It's being physically scratched by the drive.

It's caused by the disc being gouged or scratched by the mechanical parts of the moving laser assembly inside the disc drive.

Best thing to do is borrow or rent a copy of the ruined game from a friend or xtravision respectively.

Then install the game from the borrowed disc and then you can use the scratched disc to start the installed game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

just a quick one to add to this-

the buttons on my xbox controller recently started sticking so after a quick google the best suggestion was to spray the controller with something like window cleaner, well, thats what i used anyway, and it worked, so i alos had a few discs that i had intended to get cleaned in the GAME shop downtown, scratches and so on prevented them from being read by the xbox. quick spray of window cleaner later and a wipe et voila- cd's being read no problem again!

Advertisement