Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the difference between Asics Gel Nimbus & Cumulus

• 30-06-2011 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

:confused:Hi,

Does anyone kow is there much difference between the Asics Gel Nimbus & Cumulus. Tryin to choose which one to but but not sure is there much in the difference?
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stamfordbridge

Hi Nikki79. Personally, I'm not 100% sure, however I'm sure the asics website would give a comprehensive run-down of each shoe.

If you decide to go for the Asics Gel Nimbus, I know sub4.ie are having a sale at the moment, that shoe is reduced to a very good value 89.99euros!

https://www.sub4.ie/product_info.php?products_id=479

Maybe the veterans here would be able to give a good comparison, too. All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The new ASICS Nimbus 13 is lighter than the older Nimbus 12 and has some added features such as deeper heel guidance line and heel clutch system (grips your heel).

In general terms the Nimbus (13) is the more luxurious shoe compared with the Cumulus (13). Some of the things the Nimbus has which the Cumulus doesn't:

There is more gel cushioning in the midsole of the Nimbus.

The Nimbus has asymmetrical lacing, off to one side of the shoe which should make it more comfortable across the bridge of your foot.

Nimbus has individual lace eyelets - more individual flexibility

Nimbus has a full length guidance line (Cumulus forefoot only) leading to more flexibility in the foot, which gives a better fit overall.

For some people they can find the forefoot of the Cumulus is broader than the Nimbus.

The essential difference is that the Nimbus is the higher quality shoe with added comfort extras. There is no difference in performance or life of the shoe under normal conditions.

HTH

last poster has outlined most of the differences. Cumulus is a pretty plush cushioned neutral shoe - Nimbus is even more plush. My advice would be to go a to a retail outlet and try both. I would also try other brands like saucony and nike. Asics runners have really huge heels which are good if you are a heel-striker type of runner (i.e. strike the heel part of your foot onto the ground first) but if you are not then (like me - tried cumulus and hated it) you may not like it.... would recommend trying nike lunarglide - like the cumulus and nimbus are for netural runners but not as heelish! Cumulus 12 was also prone to hot-spots where part of your foot would get a hot feeling after a few miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I've been running in Nimbus for a few years and I tried a pair of cumulus 12 recently.
    There is not as much cushion in the cumulus and the toe box is not great.
    IMO the cumulus are more suited to the lighter, low milage runner which rules me out.
    I wore the cumulus once and now use them as my gardening shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm wearing Nimbus for the last 18 months and won't be changing any time soon. I find them very comfortable and cushioning & lace position are great.

Oh and i'm on my 3rd pair. I bought a pair of Kayano and use them as my every day runners for work, i just didn't find them as comfortable on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭nikki79

Thanks a million for all the info its great.
    My calves are usually tight near the achilles & I get pain in them when I run, more so on the inside of the calve near shin. I am using the Lunar glides since May and at the beginning I was getting no pain & thought these are great and was really enjoying my runs (before this i was wearing the asics 2150s which apparently is the wrong shoe for me & was gettin alot of lower calve pain) but only in the last few weeks the pain is starting again so am just wondering now will i change again to the Nimbus or maybe its just my calves & should give up running:p!

Go get gait done in a proper running store and they will match the best shoes to you.

Give your location and no doubt a member here will have a store near you to do the job !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭nikki79

Go get gait done in a proper running store and they will match the best shoes to you.

Give your location and no doubt a member here will have a store near you to do the job !

I had it done in Elverys Galway but Im thinking they dont really know as I was told I overpronate but when I got the ascics 2150s the pain didnt stop! Keep meaning to go to Amphibian King, must do that soon.

nikki79 wrote: »
    I had it done in Elverys Galway but Im thinking they dont really know as I was told I overpronate but when I got the ascics 2150s the pain didnt stop! Keep meaning to go to Amphibian King, must do that soon.

I would and good choice of store.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Ill ask this question on this thread as easier then opening a new thread.How long in general does the Gel in Asics Gel runners last?Ive had to change them every 9/10 months or so.It obviously depends on how much i use them but after a certain length of time i dont feel the same "bounce" as i once did from them.Is this because the Gel has worn out or the muscles in my feet and legs have gotten use to them and thus the bounce effect isnt as noticable?Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

I'm wearing Nimbus for the last 18 months and won't be changing any time soon. I find them very comfortable and cushioning & lace position are great.

Oh and i'm on my 3rd pair. I bought a pair of Kayano and use them as my every day runners for work, i just didn't find them as comfortable on the road.

+1...

Also, if you are looking for a non-Asics option, I rotate the Nimbus shoes with Nike Pegasus (26) - very similar set up.

Aiel wrote: »
    Ill ask this question on this thread as easier then opening a new thread.How long in general does the Gel in Asics Gel runners last?Ive had to change them every 9/10 months or so.It obviously depends on how much i use them but after a certain length of time i dont feel the same "bounce" as i once did from them.Is this because the Gel has worn out or the muscles in my feet and legs have gotten use to them and thus the bounce effect isnt as noticable?Any help appreciated.

depends on number of miles run, your weight, your running style and the surface (i.e. concrete impacts will be greater than grass impacts). sounds like they are worn out - "bounce" gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Aiel wrote: »

Most running shoes if correctly categorised for your weight and training volume will last on average 400-600 miles. The more you can rest a shoe the longer it will last so wearing your running shoe as a casual shoe between training sessions will shorter the overall life of the cushioning EVA compounds.

If you track you distances you can gauge the life much better. By swapping out between two or more pairs of shoes through a season you will extend the overall life of all of the shoes rather than killing off one shoe and then having to readjust to a new one "breaking the shoe in".

Advertisement