Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun stock finish???

• 30-06-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

whats the best product to brighten up the wood on the shotgun?
    its 4yrs old now and looks a little tired, odd light scratch too:(, i have never put anything on it up to now.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never done it myself, but i've read this article a few times and it makes it seem easy enough if you follow the steps.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Ezridax wrote: »
    Never done it myself, but i've read this article a few times and it makes it seem easy enough if you follow the steps.
    yeah, thats for stripping it back to the wood, i do that with furniture so know the craic there:), but was wondering if people use something on it to just brighten it up a little without stripping it, it looks lacquered so prob cant do much with it,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

bayliner wrote: »
    .............. it looks lacquered so prob cant do much with it,

Thats my way of thinking.

I won't pretend to know much about carpentry. I have built the occassional bed frame, wardrobe, etc, but all are basic, and not too complicated. Something anyone could do.

With a stock, especially the laquered ones, the only option as i see it would be to strip it back to the bare essentials and build it back up again. Even stripping the laquer and re-applying a new coat would not get rid of the dents, gouges, so in essence would be a long, hard job for little to no benefit/pay off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Ezridax wrote: »
    Thats my way of thinking.

I won't pretend to know much about carpentry. I have built the occassional bed frame, wardrobe, etc, but all are basic, and not too complicated. Something anyone could do.

With a stock, especially the laquered ones, the only option as i see it would be to strip it back to the bare essentials and build it back up again. Even stripping the laquer and re-applying a new coat would not get rid of the dents, gouges, so in essence would be a long, hard job for little to no benefit/pay off.
    yeah i'm with on this one too, not worth the hassle for such a
    little dent+scratch, after a while i wont even remember it!:D..
    have rubbed bee's wax into some furniture to brighten it a little but not too sure about a gun stock!!

Advertisement