Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LUAS green line extension

Options
  • 30-06-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

i use the LUAS green line extension and always used the LUAS green line even before the extension, i'm concerned as to the new level of anti-social behaviour on the LUAS post sandyford. the red line always had the bad reputation for being unsafe/anti-social hence the security presence on it. i now fear and realise that the green line extension is almost as bad as it now too requires security. It is obvious that the overwhelming source of this trouble comes from two stops: leopardstown valley and ballyogan wood. there seem to be a permanent presence of young threatening scumbags at these stops who are bringing down the whole service so much so as to put passengers off using the service for safety concerns. i think that the issue would be resolved if the two stops were simply bypassed, its their fault for ruining a super service which is being provided to them on their doorsteps. opinions/comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can yu explain what it is they've done to be excluded from the service? Other than the fact that you feel slightly threatened?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭james no.1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Can yu explain what it is they've done to be excluded from the service? Other than the fact that you feel slightly threatened?

start fights with random people for no reason, verbal abuse, vandalism, general intimidation and anti social behavoiur. the proof is in the pudding, veolia have now hired security for green line extension because of rise in anti social behaviour which they never had on green line before

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

STT have been on both lines since they were hired by LUAS - you just may not have seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 timelessone

Yeah, I'm with James on this one- there's a whole brood of fat little knackers causing havoc on that stretch, roaring and shouting and causing no end of bother. Hopefully the next cold snap will finish some of the weaker off, with maybe drugs/crime taking care of the rest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

same lot that made the 44n a nightmare of a bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Hopefully the next cold snap will finish some of the weaker off, with maybe drugs/crime taking care of the rest.

hahaha too true!

Ive seen these breed myself! Pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Can't bypass the stops and have everyone suffer though just cos of a load of knacker kids.

Problem does need to be dealt with and this starts with the Gardai and Luas security taking a hard line with them, not allowing them on trams, clearing them off platforms and regular patrols of the area by AGS to show a presence and intervene when needed.

won't happen though, poor little kids are disadvantaged and it's not their fault :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It seems to be a thing do for the kids in the area to hang around the Luas at night time. I have used it 20+ times and have never been asked for my ticket. It seems to be a couple of gangs that hang around the LUAS from a stretch of Ballyogan Wood up to Central Park. Ballyogan is gaining a very bad reputation. Parents with their children conducting anti-social behaviour in the area should be evicted from their council houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

It seems to be a thing do for the kids in the area to hang around the Luas at night time. I have used it 20+ times and have never been asked for my ticket. It seems to be a couple of gangs that hang around the LUAS from a stretch of Ballyogan Wood up to Central Park. Ballyogan is gaining a very bad reputation. Parents with their children conducting anti-social behaviour in the area should be evicted from their council houses.

Ballyogan always had a very bad reputation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Where are the dodgy estates in Ballyogan? I thought they were mostly middle class. I know there are a good few knackers living in the Cherrywood apartments, which would explain some of the anti social behavior that end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cherrywood is grand. It's the houses directly opposite the stop in ballyogan that's bad.

There's a council estate on Ballyogan Road that was built in the 1980s which, at the time it was built (and for some significant time later) had no facilities, no footpaths to/from along Ballyogan Road, a very limited bus service. The people were basically dumped there.

It has (like many other similar estates) been a source of anti-social behaviour since it was built, but, again like similar estates, it's a case of "out of sight out of mind" for most people.

It takes something like the new LUAS line to highlight this sort of stuff to the general masses as most people don't know it exists until it impinges on their daily lives.

Similarly I've noticed that on the Dublin Bus website, since central control now have the ability to post on it, there is nearly once a fortnight a notice appearing to the effect that due to anti-social behaviour buses are being withdrawn from estates in certain areas of the city (parts of Finglas, Ballymun and Clondalkin are the more prevalent ones).

Unfortunately as I said society tends to just wipe these problems aside until it starts affecting life in general.

Bollock you can't blame society for these scum.its simply bad parenting

What I meant was society tends not to notice....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

ted1 wrote: »
    Bollock you can't blame society for these scum.its simply bad parenting

Have you ever wondered why 'simply bad parenting' tends to be concentrated in areas of low employment, poor quality housing and poor services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vannie

Write a complaint to info@luas.ie. That's what I've just done...been screamed at one time too many. God forbid you should glance in someones direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭james no.1

vannie wrote: »
    Write a complaint to info@luas.ie. That's what I've just done...been screamed at one time too many. God forbid you should glance in someones direction.
    I heard rumours that veolia were thinking of bypassing the ballyogan stop because of the cost of repair for all the vandalism at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Have you ever wondered why 'simply bad parenting' tends to be concentrated in areas of low employment, poor quality housing and poor services.
    Have you ever wondered why people with bad parenting skills tend to be concentrated in areas of low employment, poor quality housing and poor services?

Have you ever wondered why people with bad parenting skills tend to be concentrated in areas of low employment, poor quality housing and poor services?

Maybe you should be asking Ted1, as he's the one that is convinced that 'simply bad parenting' is the root cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Maybe you should be asking Ted1, as he's the one that is convinced that 'simply bad parenting' is the root cause.
    Where is the poor quality housing and poor services along the green line extension?

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    Where is the poor quality housing and poor services along the green line extension?

Ballyogan

Same services in ballyogan as in killiney, same houses as any other part if south Dublin.

Same services in ballyogan as in killiney, same houses as any other part if south Dublin.
    Fascinating - how many schools are in Ballyogan? How many swimming pools? How many gyms or leisure centres? How many libraries? What public transport did it have for the two decades before the Luas arrived? How many pubs in Ballyogan?

You've clearly not spent much time in Ballyogan.

Fascinating - how many schools are in Ballyogan? How many swimming pools? How many gyms or leisure centres? How many libraries? What public transport did it have for the two decades before the Luas arrived? How many pubs in Ballyogan?

I guess you live up to your username...

Seriously how remote do you think ballyogan is. Brennanstown road is not to far away, kilternan and stepaside are further away from services yet they don't produce near as many delinquents.

Stop playing the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Apart from public transport, Killiney has the same level or even less local facilities that Ballyogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

How many schools in Knocklyon?(Up to 6 or 7 years ago - one primary school, one small gaelscoil run out of prefabs, and no secondary school). How many swimming pools?(None) How many gyms(none) or leisure centres(none)? How many libraries(none)? What public transport did it have? (One bus route)

I'm sorry, but I don't know all that many middle class areas in Dublin that have great houses and great facilities. I was raised in the same kind of cramped 3bed semi that is fairly typical around South Dublin - including Ballyogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 square leg

I live in the Gallops - right beside Ballyogan and we have none of the above except Ballyogan has a pub. You are really talking through your a**e. I have seen babies carried into Molloys at 9.55 by their mum as she buys a crate of beer. I was on a bus once with a group 18 year old mothers pissed out of their heads with their kids at 11 at night. I have seen kids as young as 4 playing unsupervised. Don't give me this left-wing **** - social welfare culture is very harmful for society. Getting the luas home is not fun especially if the lads from St Tiernans are on board. Anti-social behavior cannot be excused under any circumstances.

square leg wrote: »
    I live in the Gallops - right beside Ballyogan and we have none of the above except Ballyogan has a pub. You are really talking through your a**e. I have seen babies carried into Molloys at 9.55 by their mum as she buys a crate of beer. I was on a bus once with a group 18 year old mothers pissed out of their heads with their kids at 11 at night. I have seen kids as young as 4 playing unsupervised. Don't give me this left-wing **** - social welfare culture is very harmful for society. Getting the luas home is not fun especially if the lads from St Tiernans are on board. Anti-social behavior cannot be excused under any circumstances.

And why do you think this kind of behaviour is more common in Ballyogan than the Gallops?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 square leg

Simply parents are more responsible - that is not to say there is a bit of kids will be kids. But you would never see very young kids completely unsupervised etc.
    There are a host of other reasons as you know but in the end whats happens in Ballyogan is a product of a welfare culture that has patently failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

And why do you think this kind of behaviour is more common in Ballyogan than the Gallops?

the social divide

Advertisement