Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet any use for Sound proofing Ground floor to Second Floor?

• 30-06-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Im Living in a fairly modern house and you can literally talk from one floor to another!!! I said my OH;s name in a normal talking voice and she heard me from the bedroom above!!
    I opened up the roof, basically i have a top second floor tongue and groove in bedrooms then a 7 inch gap then the plasterboard ceiling of the rooms on the first floor. NO soundproofing at all. Would carpet and underlay in the bedrooms be of any help to try and dampen the sound transfer between the floors or a total waste of time? Carpets will be about 1000 euro.
    Or for the hassle and money wouldnt be worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hmm, carpet is better for preventing noise from walking than wooden floors, but noise due to walking travels through the joisting more so than " the 7" gap" When sound proofing is done they lay cork between the wooden floor and the top of the joists, this dampens the sound transfer.

As for the problem with talking - perhaps it wont be as good as you need it to be but it will help, particularly if you can get a thick pile carpet, the thicker the better

Advertisement