Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Quiz

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

So anyways!!!!! ah the olde tangents, lucky we didn't keep them all for the Maths !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Cant say I've seen the memorial but is it near the corner of O'Connell St and William St, I think there was an ambush there in the 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

phog wrote: »
    Cant say I've seen the memorial but is it near the corner of O'Connell St and William St, I think there was an ambush there in the 20's.

Well, it's near it but it's not on either street. I'd nearly guarantee every one here walks past it regularly.

Ye people are useless. it's a plaque beside Aubars on Thomas street. Seemingly he was shot while trying to escape British forces.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You broke the thread :)

You get to ask the next question now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Clareman wrote: »
    You broke the thread :)

You get to ask the next question now :)

Whats heavier a ton of feathers of a ton of steel??? ( I know its a god help us one and wasn't my turn but the silence was ...........)))))!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Whats heavier a ton of feathers of a ton of steel??? ( I know its a god help us one and wasn't my turn but the silence was ...........)))))!!!!:D:D

We'll go with whichever one weighs a TONNE :) Why do Limerick people call their runners 'tackies' or what on earth are the origins of this term?!? Is there even a definitive answer to this question?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Aren't tackies called tackies cause some of them can seem to stick to the floor? That's what I always thought anyway.

Back to the proper quiz then, how many All Ireland medals did the person who's the main Stand in The Gaelic Grounds is named after, win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Aren't tackies called tackies cause some of them can seem to stick to the floor? That's what I always thought anyway.

Back to the proper quiz then, how many All Ireland medals did the person who's the main Stand in The Gaelic Grounds is named after, win?

Tackies is a word for shoes in some African language. Seemingly a priest on the missions brought the word back to Limerick. Along with the word "haboo" for sleep but only real city centre-ites seem to have ever used that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

Jess16 wrote: »
    We'll go with whichever one weighs a TONNE :) Why do Limerick people call their runners 'tackies' or what on earth are the origins of this term?!? Is there even a definitive answer to this question?

They got the name because people would use old bicycle tubes to re-sole their shoes. These were tacked on to the old sole hence tackies!

adaminho wrote: »
    They got the name because people would use old bicycle tubes to re-sole their shoes. These were tacked on to the old sole hence tackies!

Doubt it. If you google "takkies" you get loads of links to South African shoes. It's an African word brought back by a priest in the Dominicans.

Anyhow, bicycle rubber would wear away as soon as you went for a short walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

They are called 'takkies' cause all the modern runners are gone all horrible! :P Look at the Tn's sure!

Advertisement