Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science and electives

Options
  • 30-06-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hey guys might be going to ucd next year just trying to find out something.

Well basically i couldnt decide between doing a computer course(business and computing in tcd) or doing a science course. I know ive got an interest in science but it seems a bit uncertain when it comes to jobs and i wouldn't want to be a teacher. Then with computers i think i might like it but its just too hard to know right now :confused:. Afraid i mightn't be much good or at worst not like it at all.

Anyway so im thinking of applying for science in ucd, and probably in chemistry in particular. I Know they have some elective system going on there so i was wondering if i chose chemistry could i take computer science related electives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Don't worry about if there is jobs or not. Do a course that you are interested in, not the course you think you'll get a job in.

Anyway, to answer your question yes you can do computer science related electives...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah I do science and I did a programming elective. Massive mistake on my part but you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Don't worry about if there is jobs or not. Do a course that you are interested in, not the course you think you'll get a job in.

Anyway, to answer your question yes you can do computer science related electives...

Well having a job is important too like..

It depends what you do in science, a lot of them require a PhD to work in. Others you'd only need a BSc.
    I'd say do some (quick before the CAO closes) research into it and decide then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

._. wrote: »
    Well having a job is important too like..

It depends what you do in science, a lot of them require a PhD to work in. Others you'd only need a BSc.
    I'd say do some (quick before the CAO closes) research into it and decide then.

From what I've heard, few, if any jobs require a PhD and some employers will overlook candidates will overlook candidates with PhDs because their skills are overly specified.... Depends on the area (I've heard this in relation to computer science in particular).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Conor108 wrote: »
    Yeah I do science and I did a programming elective. Massive mistake on my part but you can do it.

Why was it a mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

AdamD wrote: »
    Why was it a mistake?

Because just about anyone I've ever spoken to who did it found it a nightmare....:rolleyes: If you're interested in it though OP I wouldn't worry about that, you'll enjoy it regardless... The elective system is all about remembering to do something you're at least semi interested in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I did Theoretical Physics, and took programming electives, which I loved, so YMMV.

Also, I got a 2.1 final grade and am now doing a funded PhD in UCD, so that's something prospectwise to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

The point in electives is for you to broaden your mind, outside of your course subjects so you can do your elective in (99% of the time) whatever you want.

Also, if you take your compsci elective and discover its completely for you, you may have the opportunity to transfer courses without paying anything if you do it before Christmas. And shure theres no jobs in anything now, may as well do something you love!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

From what I've heard, few, if any jobs require a PhD and some employers will overlook candidates will overlook candidates with PhDs because their skills are overly specified.... Depends on the area (I've heard this in relation to computer science in particular).

I know that this doesn't generally apply to chemical or biological sciences. If you have a P.hd. it usually provides a huge improvement to your career prospects. Since it's assumed you have a wide and varied knowledge of your field of research.

I can't speak for computer science though.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

NeuroCat wrote: »
    I can't speak for computer science though.

As a recent comp sci grad I can say that there are tons of jobs out there for people with a computer science degree. A Phd is mainly seen as a route to a career in academia.

Although the computer science degree in UCD is great and there are a lot of job prospects, I would advise you to go for the course you are most interested in, not the one that is most likely to net you a job upon graduation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 man mountain

Conor108 wrote: »

I'm starting in September as a Mature/Fetac student in UCD going to study
    DN200 but picked the BBB module and have to decide what 2 electives I want
    to study. Can you tell me do they have to be science related or can
    they be anything?? I would love to do something in Nutrition!

For the last year I studied level 5 forensic science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I'm starting in September as a Mature/Fetac student in UCD going to study
    DN200 but picked the BBB module and have to decide what 2 electives I want
    to study. Can you tell me do they have to be science related or can
    they be anything?? I would love to do something in Nutrition!

For the last year I studied level 5 forensic science.

Anything as long as it fits your timetable. You can search for modules here

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 man mountain

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Anything as long as it fits your timetable. You can search for modules here

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

Thank you for your help, will have to wait till 5th Sept to find out timetable but will have look around at what's on offer :-))))

Advertisement