Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound deadening material?

Options
  • 30-06-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Anyone added some insulation to the inside of their PC case to quieten it?

Mine is pretty quiet but the graphics card can make a fair bit of noise when gaming. Rather than messing around with the fan settings or even modding the fan which I think can often result in a dead graphics card I was thinking of silencing it somehow.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

You can get kits on Caseking but they are expensive when you factor in postage. General ones or for specific cases.

You can also get stuff on amazon that I have seem people use in their PC and is probably cheaper.

That being said, if your graphics card is loud I am not sure how much help this will be in reducing that sort of noise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I've heard these ones are fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

quarryman wrote: »
    Anyone added some insulation to the inside of their PC case to quieten it?

Mine is pretty quiet but the graphics card can make a fair bit of noise when gaming. Rather than messing around with the fan settings or even modding the fan which I think can often result in a dead graphics card I was thinking of silencing it somehow.

Any suggestions?

What graphics card do you have? I had an 8800gt in my old pc, the thing sound like a jet, i ended up just buying a cooler and sticking that on. It dropped the temps and the noise, was well pleased.

Would any sort of foam like that affect the temperature inside the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I've got an Nvidia 560Ti. It's not too bad, barely audible at idle. But it's just the general noise from all the fans I was hoping to reduce.

Thanks for the link Monotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

If you're going to insulate it enough to make any difference - be prepared for a LOT of work.

Depending on your case, it may be completely futile.

You will have to ensure to cover every part of the inside of the case, and pay attention to area's where there might be gaps in the case - sound will escape here, so these should be covered as best you can. (you could leave a little sound proofing material overlap any gaps to help).

TBH you'd be best off just getting an aftermarket cooler for the 560, and new, quieter fans for the case. (and have them temperature controlled to keep silent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Actually, that link I supplied was only one sheet and you'd probably need more.
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/caseaccessories/ap-kits
    has three sheets in a pack, but it will be nearly €50 including postage.

I think that it would work out cheaper to get a few new fans or a fan controller/temperature controlled as mentioned by DG.

Advertisement