Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weeds in marsh

• 30-06-2011 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know the names of the weeds with the yellow flowers shown in the photo? They are growing on land that is slightly marshy. There was always a few growing but they seem to have taken over this year. is there any way of getting rid of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Down here in kerry we call then fellistrims (distant relation of tommy MacEllistrim:confused:)

They are some form of Iris species found where there is ground water seeping towards the surface iirc.

Anybody sprayed them yokes to get rid of them coz they are persistent buggers to get rid of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

5live wrote: »
    Down here in kerry we call then fellistrims (distant relation of tommy MacEllistrim:confused:)

They are some form of Iris species found where there is ground water seeping towards the surface iirc.

Anybody sprayed them yokes to get rid of them coz they are persistent buggers to get rid of?

Thats what we call them too, my uncles has alot of them, we don't. Those that did Ag Science recently will know the correct name of them, I've that info long lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

5live wrote: »

Thats what we call them too, my uncle has alot of them, we don't. Those that did Ag Science recently will know the correct name of them, I've that info long lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

tracky wrote: »
    Does anyone know the names of the weeds with the yellow flowers shown in the photo? They are growing on land that is slightly marshy. There was always a few growing but they seem to have taken over this year. is there any way of getting rid of them?

Yellow flag Iris - a native plant of such situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Seen felastrums sprayed before, I'm not sure with what probably roundup. Anyway they returned again. the best solution is drainage but that might not always be an option. One of my silage fields floods during the winter but is as dry as a cork the rest of the year, and the felastrums are there.
    The cattle will not eat them growing but they go mad for them in silage for some reason :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

They're Yellow Flag Iris as Birdnuts says. I am treating several stands of them at the moment. I looked into a few different methods and licking/wiping seems to be the best (read least worst) option.

Not having a weed licker/wiper myself I mixed roundup biactive with water in a bucket (3 parts water to 1 part roundup and used a medium pile paint roller to wipe them. It's important to use the roller carefully, roll off excess solution on the inside of the bucket so it doesn't drip all over creation. All you need to do is wet the waxy leaves a little, you don't want or need "runoff". I have just done mine once so far, making sure I wiped in two different directions to get maximum coverage on each plant. It's time consuming if you have a lot, but a lot of mine are looking poorly at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Leitrim people refer to them as Flaggers and they are easily killed with either mcpa or shell d 50 most effectively with a licker as they have a waxy coat off which the chemical runs if sprayed
    1 in 10 solution does the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Leitrim people refer to them as Flaggers and they are easily killed with either mcpa or shell d 50 most effectively with a licker as they have a waxy coat off which the chemical runs if sprayed
    1 in 10 solution does the trick

+1
    mcpa completely killed them for me:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tracky

Thanks for all the help lads and ladies. just the info i was looking for. Better get cracking trying to get rid of these.

Advertisement