Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RELOADING EQUIPTMENT

Options
  • 30-06-2011 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

:confused:just woundering what it would cost 2 get set up for reloading my 22-250.what do i need and where 2 get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

If your living in the republic it'll cost you nothing.. cause its illegal :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lets get the legal bit out of the way.

Reloading without a license from the DOJ in Ireland is illegal. The only exception being the pilot reloading scheme in the MNSCI. As no authorisations are being granted, and until the new explosives bill is passed there situation stands stalled. Having possession of the equipement is in itself not illegal however having the gear and trying to prove you are not reloading could be "awkward".

Having said that the basic kit to get you going could run between €300 up to €1500 depending on your choice of bits and the level of accuracy you need. By that i mean a target shooter would need precise dies, press, scales, etc to ensure each load is the exact same as the last. The average hunter is not looking for the same precision merely a consistant load.

Your basic kit would comprise of:
    • Press
    • Dies
    • Scales
    • Case trimmer
    • OAL Gauge
    • Thrower
    • Kinetic hammer
    • Calipers
    • Lube kit
    • Pocket cleaner
    • Flash hole cleaner
    • Thumbler
    • Deburring tool
    • Primer tool
    • Trickler
    It must be noted that buying these items, again while not illegal, would draw attention from the PTB. Their attitude would be why do you need these items if you are not reloading, and again as reloading cannot be done without either being a member of the pilot scheme or under express authorisation from the DOJ items being shipped in may be closely monitored. My advice would be to wait. Once the explosive bill goes through and with the continued successful running of the pilot scheme it may not be long until others avail of realoding. Until then patience is the best answer i can give.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

More importantly.How did thePTB take to the reloading at the Creedmoore match??Was it well recived??Or any news on this at all??:confused:
    On the OP question,if you are on a tight budget and want to just see what it is like whenever it becomes legal here....You can get a Lee hand loader with all the revelant bits and a specific set of calibre dies for about fifty euros on Ebay.It's a great tester,and if you are just hunting and want to run up a few rounds for testing or whatever ,its a smashing little yoke which teaches the basics without busting the bank account.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tikka22250

I'm from longford and know its illegal but that's the best any one has enlightened me on the situation. Hopefully something will be passed soon cos this recession is putting a strain on the pocket. thanks for taken the time 2 reply in dept Ezridax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tikka22250

tanks Grizzly 45.pays 2 ask a simple question

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    More importantly.How did thePTB take to the reloading at the Creedmoore match??Was it well recived??Or any news on this at all??:confused:.

From what i can tell they were more than happy with the setup and how it was being supervised/ran.

The Creedmoor simply proved how vital reloading is for F-Class in Ireland. I wouldn't hesitate to say that without it we would not have been as successful as we were had we used factory ammunition. To continue to be successful we need reloading, and the DOJ have seen this and are, from my observations, happy to continue to support us in our pilot scheme.
    tikka22250 wrote: »
    ............ Hopefully something will be passed soon cos this recession is putting a strain on the pocket.........

Don't get me wrong the reloading is slightly cheaper cost wise. However if you factor in the time you spend prepping cases, developing a load, and then getting enough ready for a comp you loose in time what you save in money. Factor in the initial outlay for the gear and you save nothing in the first year.

However for target shooting this is a small compromise for the benefits you receive from reloaded ammuniton.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Ezridax wrote: »

Don't get me wrong the reloading is slightly cheaper cost wise. However if you factor in the time you spend prepping cases, developing a load, and then getting enough ready for a comp you loose in time what you save in money. Factor in the initial outlay for the gear and you save nothing in the first year.

However for target shooting this is a small compromise for the benefits you receive from reloaded ammuniton.

I have bought all my reloading gear, hope to get started this week...
    I went halves with a friend who has a .223 on the press, case trimmer, scales etc etc.
    I still don't think i will ever see a financial saving from re-loading...

If I was using a .223 instead of my lr for rabbits/crows then it probably wouldn't take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

From what i can tell they were more than happy with the setup and how it was being supervised/ran.

The Creedmoor simply proved how vital reloading is for F-Class in Ireland. I wouldn't hesitate to say that without it we would not have been as successful as we were had we used factory ammunition. To continue to be successful we need reloading, and the DOJ have seen this and are, from my observations, happy to continue to support us in our pilot scheme.

Did you get much time to develop and test loads before the competition and what 308 bullets did you end up using ?

I done more research on reloading than any other subject i've ever had to look into so was well prepared by the time we got the reloading. It wasn't so much what load to use or seating depth, etc but more a case of good testing procedures when you are load testing. Ladder testing. What group to look for at 300 yards. Things like that. Unfortunately there are no short cuts. If you try thats when accidents happen. You start at a recommended load and work up checking for pressure signs, hard extractions, speeds, etc until you get the right load for your rifle.

NEVER EVER USE A RELOADED ROUND FROM SOMEONE ELSE.

With the above point in mind each lad had a specific set of guidelines we had to reach and stay within. This is critical in team shooting. We stayed with the 155 bullets. SMK or Berger are excellent brands. Best thing about a team environemnt is we can turn to each other for hints, tips, and a bit of help when needed.

Its all still very new to us so we're looking forward to exploring it more over the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

illigal to do so

Care to elaborate? Thats a fairly abrupt statement.

jhcossie wrote: »
    illigal to do so

Not really

It's illegal in the republic of Ireland to possess primers and powder not to have the equipment or to reload. It's not illegal to reload in the republic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

Glensman wrote: »
    I have bought all my reloading gear, hope to get started this week...
    I went halves with a friend who has a .223 on the press, case trimmer, scales etc etc.
    I still don't think i will ever see a financial saving from re-loading...

If I was using a .223 instead of my lr for rabbits/crows then it probably wouldn't take long.

If you write off the enitial costs as a hobby, and just go by the price of brass, primers, powder and bullets I think you would save money, for better quality ammo too, the only thing is you'll probably shoot more:D

plus you can make rounds that aren't available in factory ammunition I'm getting a .25-06 for deer and I'd love to be able to make 75gr vmax re-loads for foxes but I can't, and as ezridax already said I'd never trust anyone elses re-loads, plus there €40 for a box of 20 and someone told me recently I'd get 900-1000 rounds out of an 8lb tub of powder.

I know its a step forward, but does anyone like myself have a nagging feeling that if re-loading is legalised it'll be a targetshooters right and hunters can go feck themselve's?

Shane.sf wrote: »
    It's not illegal to reload in the republic!!!

The ONLY reloading legally allowed to be carried out in the ROI is the pilot scheme in the MNSCI. Having the gear is not a license to reload.
    I know its a step forward, but does anyone like myself have a nagging feeling that if re-loading is legalised it'll be a targetshooters right and hunters can go feck themselve's?

Firstly i don't go for the what ifs. Reloading is still only new. Lets wait for a little bit before we start worrying about who gets what and who may not. The NRAI sought the reloading as it was necessary for F-Class shooting. If we are patient and use it well it can only lead to a positive step forward for all shooters. If it starts off in ranges only, its another step forward. No point looking for reloading at home shortly after it was introduced. Baby steps.

The ONLY reloading legally allowed to be carried out in the ROI is the pilot scheme in the MNSCI.

very good:) I thought it was only for the creedmor cup, didn't realise yee were still at it up there.

The ONLY reloading legally allowed to be carried out in the ROI is the pilot scheme in the MNSCI. Having the gear is not a license to reload.

It is illegal to possess either powder or primers. Therefore it is impossible to reload legally. This does not make reloading illegal technically.

With that said anyone not in the pilot scheme cannot reload unfortunately

Shane.sf wrote: »
    It is illegal to possess either powder or primers. Therefore it is impossible to reload legally. This does not make reloading illegal technically.

Technically you're right. However as mentioned above and in previous threads unless you have the necessary licenses for holding powder and primers from the DOJ, and have a dealer that also has the necessary licenses to import powder and primers you cannot reload.

As the licenses for both individuals and dealers are not being given out the process stands "stalled". Until the new explosives bill is finalised and passed, as this is where powder and primers will be catered for, there will be no further "movement" on the matter.

For the time being the pilot scheme is the only authorised programmes that legally allows reloading.

If you write off the enitial costs as a hobby, and just go by the price of brass, primers, powder and bullets I think you would save money, for better quality ammo too, the only thing is you'll probably shoot more:D

plus you can make rounds that aren't available in factory ammunition I'm getting a .25-06 for deer and I'd love to be able to make 75gr vmax re-loads for foxes but I can't, and as ezridax already said I'd never trust anyone elses re-loads, plus there €40 for a box of 20 and someone told me recently I'd get 900-1000 rounds out of an 8lb tub of powder.

If you do get reloading I wouldn't expect them to allow you to hold 8lbs of powder. In the 6 counties they allow us to buy 3 lbs of powder and 1000 primers at any one time.

I bought mine last week and that was all I was allowed- I talked to the fella in the explosives branch and he said it was for fire-hazard reasons...

Heads and cases are unlimited though.... (here)

(and you haven't convinced me that the deer stalker will save money, you can't just write-off the cost of equipment, or I'd have a Z6i on top of my rifle!!) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If you do get reloading I wouldn't expect them to allow you to hold 8lbs of powder. In the 6 counties they allow us to buy 3 lbs of powder and 1000 primers at any one time.

I bought mine last week and that was all I was allowed- I talked to the fella in the explosives branch and he said it was for fire-hazard reasons...

(and you haven't convinced me that the deer stalker will save money, you can't just write-off the cost of equipment, or I'd have a Z6i on top of my rifle!!) :rolleyes:

ah yeah I get ya, still though its a hobby I feel I should be allowed to participate in wether it costs me a fortune or wether I shoot 5 rounds a week or 500:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ah yeah I get ya, still though its a hobby I feel I should be allowed to participate in wether it costs me a fortune or wether I shoot 5 rounds a week or 500:rolleyes:

You would want to ask Des why he said Hunters did not want it back then.......
    I could never understand why the NARGC of all people would not want to build loads to suit Irish game etc, be that in a shotgun or a Rifle.

As a deer hunter I would love to develop a load to suit my set up.
    Also as a Varminter I would love to develop my own loads.

From what I am led to believe, even the deer societies said they did not want reloading............

good point with varmint hunting, you see lads like sirslotsalot on youtube he's not making those shots with factory ammo.

I admire ezridax(post 16 might of come across as cheeky but wasn't intended) and the other lads and ladies whoever they may be fighting their corner for target shooters, but once its legal for target shooters their work is done, who's going to fight our corner???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

good point with varmint hunting, you see lads like sirslotsalot on youtube he's not making those shots with factory ammo.

I admire ezridax(post 16 might of come across as cheeky but wasn't intended) and the other lads and ladies whoever they may be fighting their corner for target shooters, but once its legal for target shooters their work is done, who's going to fight our corner???

You, Me and Dupree!
    it's up to us all to lobby NARGC/WDI/IDS

Any club Technically has the opportunity to apply for an authorization to use reloading on a club level.
    Why should we have the best ammo for Target and not for Hunting??
    I now hand the Mic over to Des.................

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

1000 primers at any one time...........
    PUT 3000 DOWN NEXT TiME and you will get them.

mayfly36 wrote: »
    1000 primers at any one time...........
    PUT 3000 DOWN NEXT TiME and you will get them.

Sure if I get 3000 I'd be passing them down to my sons and sons' sons!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

I was told that not all members of the Ftr squad were using re-loads and that HPS-TR 155 was being used etc..Why was this, was reloading not available to all or what ?. I susect the reason was because the reloading was not in on time for people to develope a load ??
    Very curious to know why the chance to reload was not availed of by all.

I also heard on numberous occations that the reloaded ammo that was used by the Irish squad was all exactly the same.....same projectile, same charge etc etc.....surely that is not true as it would totally defeat the purpose of reloading and the chance to obtaine rifle specific ammo.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

I was told that not all members of the Ftr squad were using re-loads and that HPS-TR 155 was being used etc..Why was this, was reloading not available to all or what ?. I susect the reason was because the reloading was not in on time for people to develope a load ??
    Very curious to know why the chance to reload was not availed of by all.

I also heard on numberous occations that the reloaded ammo that was used by the Irish squad was all exactly the same.....same projectile, same charge etc etc.....surely that is not true as it would totally defeat the purpose of reloading and the chance to obtaine rifle specific ammo.

Thanks in advance.
    Cant understand ....why your still asking the same questions :confused:.Not sure ,but are you talking of yourself or other shooters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Cant understand ....why your still asking the same questions :confused:.Not sure ,but are you talking of yourself or other shooters?

Sorry TC, but I do not see the specific questions that I have asked in my post having been asked previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Sorry TC, but I do not see the specific questions that I have asked in my post having been asked previously.

22.32 yesterday on target shooting section:confused:Worded a little different but the same question by you yesterday !There is a( conspiracy theories ) section on boards if you like :p

Advertisement