Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90SI Tripping Randomly

• 30-06-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭

Triton T90SI 9.5kw tripping RCBO. (I'm not an electrician as you can tell!)

This has happened twice now, on the wife, I've been out both times.
    I come back, flick RCBO, switch, use, no issues.

In between these 2 episodes I have used it countless times with no issues myself.

Any ideas what may be causing this intermittent problem.

It's been in about 4 years, never any trouble before whatbsoever.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    Triton T90SI 9.5kw tripping RCBO. (I'm not an electrician as you can tell!)

This has happened twice now, on the wife, I've been out both times.
    I come back, flick RCBO, switch, use, no issues.

In between these 2 episodes I have used it countless times with no issues myself.

Any ideas what may be causing this intermittent problem.

It's been in about 4 years, never any trouble before whatbsoever.

Thanks

It could be a slight earth fault developing in the shower which will trip an RCBO, moisture in the unit can cause this, or the element in the heating tank starting to act up, not unheard of problems with showers.

What size is the RCBO, 32 amp, or 40 amp? 32 amp would be a bit small for a 9.5kw shower anyway, and may trip after a few minutes running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Thanks for the response.

It's a 40amp RCBO I believe - marked "B40". Reading some old posts got me wondering whether this was sufficient for a 9.5kw but it seems so.

I don't know the cable size but I think it's right as I recall it looked very large when it was being installed by comparison with other cabling used, if that's anything to go by.

Plus it's worked fine for 4 years even with my wife being the type who leaves a shower to run for 5 minutes before getting into it!

The switch has often felt a little bit hot to me in the past when I've turned it off after use but I thought that was just the light in it - I'll open that and look for any scorch marks or similar - I read some old threads where people had issues with the switches and "arcing".

It's a very heavy switch but it's the size of a standard switch, not double gang lengthwise the way a cooker switch would be if that makes sense.

Outside of that I'll open the casing and take a peek for any leakage. No evidence of same from outside.

It went on me this morning after about 10 mins - so it's no longer in my wife's imagination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea 40 amp RCBO is fine for that. A wall switch was used for it then, which is usually better than a pull chord, although i prefer the double length cooker type isolator myself.

The switch should not be getting hot really, check that if you can so, turn off the RCBO first. They may get a little warm possibly though.

If you also look inside the shower, look for any sign of moisture in the unit, and also any sign of burning cables, but the element is a probable cause, and this problem cant be seen.

Also try leaving the wall switch on for the day after your finished using the shower, and see does the RCBO stay on then. I dont turn my wall switch off at all really.

A faulty RCBO is another slight possibility. But usually with showers this turns out to be the element.

Another test you can do is run the shower with its heat off for 20 minutes, and see does it trip.

Advertisement