Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way....

Options
  • 30-06-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭

of telling the difference between an RCBO and an RCD just by looking at them.Alot of them look identical and have no markings on them to state exactly what they are,in particular I've noticed this with GE ones but also other brands.

I have a 25a GE one which I got from a unused board but no idea if its an RCD or an RCBO.

I can post pics of it you like.

Thank you:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

never had any prob differentiating

for domestic anyhow the rcd is usually marked 40a or 63a

and the rcbo will be marked B or C for trip curve

i've had a few cans so i do get confused but cant recall it ever being a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Lash up a photo and we can have a look at it for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

M cebee wrote: »
    never had any prob differentiating

for domestic anyhow the rcd is usually marked 40a or 63a

and the rcbo will be marked B or C for trip curve

i've had a few cans so i do get confused but cant recall it ever being a problem

Actually thats a good point,never thought about the fact that MCB trip type would be marked on it if it was an RCBO.

I presume then that this is an RCD since it says 25A rather than B25?

2011-06-30210158.jpg

Come to think of it GE RCBO's usually have 2 switches across the front rather than this single one but I have looked at certain makes before and wondered if it was an RCD or something else.

Anyway enjoy your Can's M cebee:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Take photos of the sides of it, there should be a diagram on it somewhere.

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    Come to think of it GE RCBO's usually have 2 switches across the front rather than this single one but I have looked at certain makes before and wondered if it was an RCD or something else.

Anyway enjoy your Can's M cebee:)

That fella`s always drinkin cans when we need him:pac:

Looks like an RCD anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Looks like an rcd to me too.

M cebee wrote: »

I find too many can be a problem sometimes....:pac:

rcd alright

• Advertisement

A 25 amp capacity wouldnt seem the most useful RCD just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks brightspark, good old google, TBH at first glance I would have thought it was an RCBO simply because it was only 25Amp.

Nothing to do with showing its just an RCD, but......

If you get a 1.5 volt battery, have an RCD in hand, and connect a wire from each side of one pole of the RCD which is in the on position, both sides of the live for example, to the battery, it will probably trip the RCD, especially if you keep connecting and disconnecting the battery.

Another useless bit of info, but its a good way to understand their operation, and how a DC battery manages to do it. Or maybe it wont work at all. Now i have had a couple of cans also:pac:

Stoner wrote: »
    thanks brightspark, good old google, TBH at first glance I would have thought it was an RCBO simply because it was only 25Amp.

Yea its a bit unususl looking. No diagram on the front of it either.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea its a bit unususl looking. No diagram on the front of it either.

The diagram is on the top of it Robbie but then I never noticed much difference between the diagrams on them either

2011-07-01084059.jpg

Can't get any closer or the focus goes too wonky

the rcbo will have the trip curve- b c

and also the breaking capacity- 3000 6000 etc

The diagram seems to be showing an RCD alright. RCD`s usually have a breaking capacity on them too.

Anyway, its an RCD diagram as no overload MCB part is shown in the diagram. You can see how the test button works as well.

The RCBO diagram has the same setup with the addition of an MCB in it as well.

Cheers lads

Advertisement