Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2011

Options
  • 30-06-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭

Preliminary results are out now.

http://www.cso.ie/census/2011_preliminaryreport.htm

Fingal:

Both sexes
    Population 2006 (Number)239,992Population 2011 (Number)273,051Actual change in population 2006-2011 (Number)33,059Percentage change in population 2006-2011 (%)13.8

Quite high rate of growth in Fingal, but when you look up "Table C – Top 10 Electoral Divisions ordered by population increase, 2006-2011"
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0630/censuspre2011.pdf

You can see one of the reasons why. The electoral district with the highest increase in population is Balbriggan Rural.
    9615 to 15146 in 5 years. Thats quite astonishing. I am living here since 2003 and I would never have guessed the rate of growth was that big. 57.5% is huge.
    Blanchardstown-Blakestown was 4th highest (32288 to 35970, 11.4%) and The Ward, Fingal was 9th (5181 to 8181, 57.9%). 3 of the 10 ED's with the highest growth coming from Fingal.

Its a bad time for councils to get these figures as they have very little money to do a lot with the information, but hopefully this data can make some influence on policy regarding infastructure for the district. Schools, roads, broadband supply etc. Whats glaringly obvious from these figures is that Fingal is quite quickly outgrowing itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

One of the reason for the growth is the huge number of non national/non E.U residents in the area and I dont think local councils can do a lot about it. I dont know what they can realistically do unless they provide some type of family suppot unit like the H.S.E do

One thing the figure do tell me is Ireland Inc should have put a "House full" sign up around 2004/5

The numbers of new children on school roles this year is I believe quite high and is going to be a huge problem for the Dept of Education and the teachers dealing with the children. Quite a few dont go to pre school and have little or no English and as a result some Irish parents are worried that their kids will be affected as teachers wont have to spend a lot of extra time dealing with these kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Can I just say 2 things.
    1) Non-National .No offence intended to Leo as its a phrase that is often used but one that I hate. Almost everyone has a national identity. Again no offence directed at you in particular Leo.
    2) The numbers dont surprise me. I am 'out here' from Dublin since 96 and to see thousands of houses/apts in the area of Balbriggan Rural is staggering. In fact, as I write this, I am surprised the number is not higher. I am gonna work on the presumption that Balbriggan Rural encompasses the area , lets say , outside of The Harry Reynolds Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

LeoB wrote: »
    One of the reason for the growth is the huge number of non national/non E.U residents in the area and I dont think local councils can do a lot about it. I dont know what they can realistically do unless they provide some type of family suppot unit like the H.S.E do

One thing the figure do tell me is Ireland Inc should have put a "House full" sign up around 2004/5

The numbers of new children on school roles this year is I believe quite high and is going to be a huge problem for the Dept of Education and the teachers dealing with the children. Quite a few dont go to pre school and have little or no English and as a result some Irish parents are worried that their kids will be affected as teachers wont have to spend a lot of extra time dealing with these kids.

Wasn't there a theory going about that Gaelscoils were doing so well because they are seen as *Irish" for the Irish schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

bcmf wrote: »
    1) Non-National .No offence intended to Leo as its a phrase that is often used but one that I hate. Almost everyone has a national identity.

It's what the government use in offical communications and Dáil debates

Even the garda website uses this
    All non-nationals who are not citizens of a member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, must register with An Garda Síochána
    http://www.garda.ie/controller.aspx?page=31

The media uses it and often takes it from government press releases.
    Not surprising many of the public use it too
    It's not going away I'm afraid :)

As for the report as soon as I saw increase I knew it was Balbriggan and surrounding rural areas. Except not so rural anymore.
    Not claiming any insight here, it's common knowledge
    Incredible building taking place there in the last decade and thousands move in.
    The census doesn't realy confirm anything we didn't already know and there is already pressure there for resources like schools. Has to be an issue for Fingal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Can I just say 2 things.
    1) Non-National .No offence intended to Leo as its a phrase that is often used but one that I hate. Almost everyone has a national identity. Again no offence directed at you in particular Leo.

I also hate this term but understand it's used in Government etc as a means to an end. Many of the people who live around here are Irish, don't look ethnically Irish but are referred to as Non-Nationals.
    2) The numbers dont surprise me. I am 'out here' from Dublin since 96 and to see thousands of houses/apts in the area of Balbriggan Rural is staggering. In fact, as I write this, I am surprised the number is not higher. I am gonna work on the presumption that Balbriggan Rural encompasses the area , lets say , outside of The Harry Reynolds Rd.

Balbriggan Rural does indeed cover everything outside of the Harry Reynolds Road. Most the area is governed by rural speed limits in a clearly urban area. These parts of Balbriggan town weren't allowed to vote in the elections for Balbriggan Town Council until the last local elections because they were rural and outside of the Town Boundaries.

Likewise I'm not surprised by the numbers at all. It's a great pity that the official numbers were not available to the Council sooner as they could have done with diverting resources to the areas before now. Then again as they granted the planning applications that allowed this number of people to move into a "rural" area they should have dealt with this in advance....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0701/1224299848119.html

Some nice positives at the end of this article

Three years ago the long-defunct arts festival, was revived and renamed Balbriggan Summerfest.
    “When we started in 2009 it only went on for a weekend,” explained chairwoman Gráinne Maguire. “This year it had become so successful and been so supported by the community that it was a week long.”
    New events at the festival this year included a triathlon challenge, which had more than 150 entrants, and a school choir competition, with Loreto secondary winning the senior prize and St Molagas Senior national school taking the junior prize.
    “There is a fantastic community spirit around the place,” she said.
    David O’Connor, a councillor with Fingal County Council, described Balbriggan as “marvellous and multicultural”. In giving an example of how multi-cultural the area has become, he said that last night he was due to play in the final of the Final Cricket Cup League, where one third of the players were “African, Indian, Pakistani and Sri Lankan.” He said the Millfield centre was a “vote of confidence in the growing population”. “It’s the only shopping centre of any consequence to open in Ireland in the last few years.”

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

Eoineo wrote: »
    Balbriggan Rural does indeed cover everything outside of the Harry Reynolds Road. Most the area is governed by rural speed limits in a clearly urban area. These parts of Balbriggan town weren't allowed to vote in the elections for Balbriggan Town Council until the last local elections because they were rural and outside of the Town Boundaries.

I'm living in "Balbriggan Rural" but wasn't allowed vote in the last elections for town council. Our polling station was changed from St. Peter & Pauls N.S. to St. Olivers N.S, Balrothery a few years ago.

Does anyone know where the actual boundary is for Balbriggan Rural? Is it the M1 or perhaps the new road from Stephenstown Industrial Estate?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Benjy wrote: »
    I'm living in "Balbriggan Rural" but wasn't allowed vote in the last elections for town council. Our polling station was changed from St. Peter & Pauls N.S. to St. Olivers N.S, Balrothery a few years ago.

Does anyone know where the actual boundary is for Balbriggan Rural? Is it the M1 or perhaps the new road from Stephenstown Industrial Estate?

I have a map and it's quite bizarre. Pinewood is excluded for some reason as well.
    It's effectively the ring road which is the "town" boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

p28559 wrote: »

It was on a map I was given by the HSE which marked out Balbriggan Urban and Balbriggan Rural. Thought it was ridiculous at the time and said so but just got a shrug of the shoulders !!

• Advertisement

What is bizarre to me is that the Council would be unaware of this high growth considering they gave planning permission that allowed this rise. The Census offers qualitative stats but surely the planning dept could easily furnish Quantitative stats to the other council depts to allow them to plan for schools, roads etc Did Ballymun not teach them?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Did Ballymun not teach them?

This is Ireland. Of course no lesons have been learnt from previous mistake's.

Can I just say 2 things.

I was trying to be as nice about it without causing offence to anyone. Most of them do have a national identitdy but its not Irish. They are non-nationals and while you dont like the term its the most common and acceptable I know of.

The Cencus people shocked the goverment with the figures they produced on this but its not suprising in one way as quite a few are constantly moving from house to house and this might explain such a big mis forecast, c50-70,000? I think it could actually be higher
    What is bizarre to me is that the Council would be unaware of this high growth considering they gave planning permission that allowed this rise. The Census offers qualitative stats but surely the planning dept could easily furnish Quantitative stats to the other council depts to allow them to plan for schools, roads etc Did Ballymun not teach them?

Will our current situation teach them anything? Dont hold your breath. The mistakes of the 70s and 80s with huge sprawls in Dub 22, 24, 17,, 11 and 5 that have been left without a lot basic facilities. Some of these areas turned into crime spots so what will we have on our hands in 20 years time.
    This is Ireland. Of course no lesons have been learnt from previous mistake's.

As above. Flames on the fires

Apart from the schools issue, Simple things like playgrounds, green space, a front and back garden, shorter terraces of houses would be welcom.

Can I just say 2 things.
    1) Non-National .No offence intended to Leo ... Again no offence directed at you in particular Leo.
    LeoB wrote: »
    I was trying to be as nice about it without causing offence to anyone. Most of them do have a national identitdy but its not Irish. They are non-nationals and while you dont like the term its the most common and acceptable I know

I know the term is the most accepted and used. I was just pointing out that I dont like it.
    Again I meant no offence to you Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Do members of the Travelling Community take part in the census?

Again I meant no offence to you Leo.

None taken:). Thanks for that reply

Do members of the Travelling Community take part in the census?

Yes, every household in the state is required to fill out the census on census night even the Aras and return to the CSO.

Breakdown of the population increases and decreases for Fingal. Any increases greater than 25% highlighted in Blue,decreases highlighted in red.

Geographic Area 2011, Total Population 2011, Percentage change in population (persons) 2006-2011

Fingal 273,051 13.8%
    001 Airport, Fingal 3,998 148.2%
    002 Balbriggan Rural, Fingal 15,146 57.5%

003 Balbriggan Urban, Fingal 7,530 11.9%
    004 Baldoyle, Fingal 6,870 15.6%
    005 Balgriffin, Fingal 1,642 80.2%
    006 Ballyboghil, Fingal 1,020 7.4%
    007 Balscadden, Fingal 666 2.0%
    008 Blanchardstown-Abbotstown, Fingal 4,863 18.0%
    009 Blanchardstown-Blakestown, Fingal 35,970 11.4%
    010 Blanchardstown-Coolmine, Fingal 10,831 0.5%
    011 Blanchardstown-Corduff, Fingal 3,799 -6.8%
    012 Blanchardstown-Delwood, Fingal 5,034 1.6%
    013 Blanchardstown-Mulhuddart, Fingal 3,861 9.9%
    014 Blanchardstown-Roselawn, Fingal 1,678 -8.4%
    015 Blanchardstown-Tyrrelstown, Fingal 2,120 36.0%

016 Castleknock-Knockmaroon, Fingal 18,071 5.6%
    017 Castleknock-Park, Fingal 5,128 6.7%
    018 Clonmethan, Fingal 785 25.6%
    019 Donabate, Fingal 8,730 14.9%
    020 Dubber, Fingal 6,330 68.9%
    021 Garristown, Fingal 1,434 21.3%
    022 Hollywood, Fingal 1,250 25.3%
    023 Holmpatrick, Fingal 3,218 2.0%
    024 Howth, Fingal 8,261 0.8%
    025 Kilsallaghan, Fingal 2,199 5.7%
    026 Kinsaley, Fingal 8,441 52.8%
    027 Lucan North, Fingal 1,358 16.8%
    028 Lusk, Fingal 8,814 25.1%
    029 Malahide East, Fingal 6,769 8.9%
    030 Malahide West, Fingal 6,270 0.0%
    031 Portmarnock North, Fingal 4,110 -10.4%
    032 Portmarnock South, Fingal 3,462 -1.7%

033 Rush, Fingal 9,207 11.2%
    034 Skerries, Fingal 8,344 2.1%
    035 Sutton, Fingal 5,605 -5.2%
    036 Swords-Forrest, Fingal 13,868 11.5%
    037 Swords-Glasmore, Fingal 7,737 -0.8%
    038 Swords-Lissenhall, Fingal 9,676 6.7%
    039 Swords-Seatown, Fingal 6,535 10.1%
    040 Swords Village, Fingal 2,571 2.3%
    041 The Ward, Fingal 8,181 57.9%
    042 Turnapin, Fingal 1,669 -3.1%

Over 4,800 more women than men in Fingal and total increase in Fingal population from 2006 was 33,059.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Does anybody have a link to view these area's in a map. I want to see what area "The Ward" is in. I think it's beside Swords. But want to see where it is exactly.
    And also a few other boundries i'm not too familliar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Wasn't there a theory going about that Gaelscoils were doing so well because they are seen as *Irish" for the Irish schools?

It might be the case but Gaelscoileanna have always been thought of as better than an average school partly because class sizes are smaller and maybe just because more parents are more involved in the success of the schools. FWIW quite a few children with parents from abroad attend gaelscoileanna.

• Advertisement

It might be the case but Gaelscoileanna have always been thought of as better than an average school partly because class sizes are smaller and maybe just because more parents are more involved in the success of the schools. FWIW quite a few children with parents from abroad attend gaelscoileanna.

Well the other theory is that these kids and their parents come from cultures were they use multiple languages so they have already demonstrated an advanced ability to learn languages. The Late Late had a slot a while back about New Irish that learnt Irish to help educate their children and the overwhelming message was that Irish is extremely badly taught in Ireland.

Advertisement