Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote NAS access

Options
  • 30-06-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I'm looking for advice on accessing files on my home network from work/android phone. Particularly I'm want to be able to access files on 2 NAS devices that I have (D Link 323 & Synology disk station).

My broadband is with Magnet via a Telsey router. From what I gather, Magnet utilise dynamic IP addresses but reading on the forums here, that can be got around somehow and shouldn't prevent remote access entirely?

I also had thought that as the Telsey router was "locked" and because Magnet didn't support any modifications that this was another problem, but again if I'm correct, Magnet configure them in as a "bridge" so shouldn't be a probelm either?

The telsey router is wired to a Sitecom Gigabit N router which is wired to my 2NAS devices. I've set up port forwarding in the Sitecom router configuration as best I know how but still can't remote access (getting a little out of my depth at that stage if I'm honest).

I also run Norton Internet Security which I'm sure is playing it's part in making things not work too. Tried turning off the firewall entirely but didn't seem to make any difference.

Am I missing something obvious? I don't suppose there's such a thing as a program that you can run that will analyse your home network from outside or inside to tell you what the problem is? Or alternatively are there people you can pay to come out and help you troubleshoot networking problems like this?

Oh how I wish I had a good friend who knew about computers/networking :o

Advertisement