Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cattle weighscales

• 30-06-2011 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi all
    just wondering which make is the most popular and what exactly do you look for in comparing models.does the weigh cells give any bother. they all seem to cost over 1k though:eek:.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

bought one off of o'donovans eng. in the spring, and happy out with. eziweigh 2 indicator. done over 300 weighings and not a dint in the battery yet. animal dosent have to stay still for too long about 2-3 sec.

it did work out about €200 dearer than the connaught agri one. but when i rang connaught agri to to get a price and get details on the scales, was also inquiring about the benefits of an indicator that held animal i.d's., the sales rep started to get annoyed about all the questions that he was susposed to know and details that were on their web site, to the extent that i got a big, "listen lad, we have one, it costs x, it weighs cattle, after that stop bothering me" a bit startled i let him know i wanted to compare it to another one spec for spec, he proceeded to tell " if you want to buy it off the other crowd for more, then F**K OFF and do so".
    I took his advise

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Hi
    I have a o donnovan one for 3 or 4 years now.
    I am very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

dar31 wrote: »
    bought one off of o'donovans eng. in the spring, and happy out with. eziweigh 2 indicator. done over 300 weighings and not a dint in the battery yet. animal dosent have to stay still for too long about 2-3 sec.

it did work out about €200 dearer than the connaught agri one. but when i rang connaught agri to to get a price and get details on the scales, was also inquiring about the benefits of an indicator that held animal i.d's., the sales rep started to get annoyed about all the questions that he was susposed to know and details that were on their web site, to the extent that i got a big, "listen lad, we have one, it costs x, it weighs cattle, after that stop bothering me" a bit startled i let him know i wanted to compare it to another one spec for spec, he proceeded to tell " if you want to buy it off the other crowd for more, then F**K OFF and do so".
    I took his advise

In fariness, O'Donovan's gear is usually top notch. I have some of their locking barriers and I'm very happy with them.
    I sometimes wonder what makes Connacht Agri tick. They have an unusual policy to say the least in terms of advertising prices (in that there appears to be a random policy of what is and isn't priced in their adverts) and going by what you described, they don't seem to encourage people to phone them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

just wondering how accurate the scales are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

they are very accurate - within 5kg on average from what i weighed night before going to mart which is just a full stomach.

It totally depends on how level your cattle crush is though i found. If you have uneven surface, the weigh cells will bounce around and depending on how the cattle stand on it, you would get a different weight. I had to put a fresh skim on my crush floor. Since that, it is bang on.

Only prob is that I use myself to calibrate it and it seems to be reading more each time i use it:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

tubby :D wat time of scales do you hav a portable one or a crate that holds and weighs them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

A portable one dealerman. chequer plate platform and plug in and charge readout.

EZWeigh one from connaught agri. round 1K delivered i think it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

TUBBY wrote: »
    they are very accurate - within 5kg on average from what i weighed night before going to mart which is just a full stomach.

It totally depends on how level your cattle crush is though i found. If you have uneven surface, the weigh cells will bounce around and depending on how the cattle stand on it, you would get a different weight. I had to put a fresh skim on my crush floor. Since that, it is bang on.

Only prob is that I use myself to calibrate it and it seems to be reading more each time i use it:D

Spot on, had to do exact same thing myself. Also have one from Connacht Agri which I've just started using; going well so far. Cattle can be a bit wary of getting onto the platform if it's shiny; when it gets muckier it's quicker. Also have to keep a gate or bar right behind the animals to hold them steady.

Advertisement