Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery Prices In France

• 30-06-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Currently on hols in France and can't get over some of the price differences between here and Ireland. A can of Coke is 36c without any offers. What is the cheapest this would be at home? Maybe 80c? 2 litres of water is 16c. What explanation is there for the differences in price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

cost of living ,wages and usual....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

greed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

rents, wages, less shiping (road transports will always be cheaper), VAT (it's much cheaper on food than here). Minimum wage is much lower in France.
    Now, some prices are cheaper like fruits and vegs because of the availability: you can't expect a pound of apricots to be the same price in France where they are grown in fields nearby than in Ireland where they have been shipped hundreds miles.
    Some prices are dearer in France, mind you: check the milk and butter (plus the milk in long life and absolutely yuck), meat, etc... A cappuccino will cost you near 3 or 4 euros, although you can get a nice expresso for a euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

its quiet simple, its not greed as pointed out earlier, Rent is very high in ireland, Wages are very high in ireland, rates are very high in ireland, electricty is very high in ireland, that 90% of teh purchase prise taken care of, these cost have to be passed on, you can hardly expect the grocer to take a hit on these charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

try a holiday in Thailand.

or move to france.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Try buying a beer in a pub in paris - €9.50 about 3 weeks ago.

The OP also is not saying whether its part of a multi pack, bought in a supermarket or bought in a small store.

2L of water is it purified water or spring water. - Isn't a basic 2l bottle spring about 50c in lidl / Aldi / tesco. - deduct the vat and it about 41c

Can of coke bought in tray is about 40c (9.99 for tray of 24 in local eurospar), in a 6 pack its 50c (€3 per pack) and singly its about 80c - €1

But then just like a good tabloid, the real facts are ignored to make way for a dramatic headline.

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    , electricty is very high in ireland,

not anymore - electricity is cheaper in Ireland than most european countries these days, - I think we're either 5th cheapest or 6th cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

maxer68 wrote: »
    Try buying a beer in a pub in paris - €9.50 about 3 weeks ago.

The OP also is not saying whether its part of a multi pack, bought in a supermarket or bought in a small store.

2L of water is it purified water or spring water. - Isn't a basic 2l bottle spring about 50c in lidl / Aldi / tesco. - deduct the vat and it about 41c

Can of coke bought in tray is about 40c (9.99 for tray of 24 in local eurospar), in a 6 pack its 50c (€3 per pack) and singly its about 80c - €1

But then just like a good tabloid, the real facts are ignored to make way for a dramatic headline.

Think the OP's can was a single purchase, also €9.50 for a pint/ half litre can be paid by mugs in Paris(Avenue des Champs-Elysees), Amsterdam(Dam square) etc etc but a mile walk and you will get the same for €2.50-€3.50

bryaner wrote: »
    Think the OP's can was a single purchase, also €9.50 for a pint/ half litre can be paid by mugs in Paris(Avenue des Champs-Elysees), Amsterdam(Dam square) etc etc but a mile walk and you will get the same for €2.50-€3.50

The OP doesn't say that, so it can't be assumed. Last time I was in Nice, I noticed very little difference in convenience goods such as minerals, bottles of water, ice creams etc. from the standard corner shops.

Just like here, you pay a premium in bigger cities, centre towns, small shops etc. Too many people try to compare walmart style shops with their local gala to make them feel like they are getting better value, the reality is quite different.

maxer68 wrote: »
    The OP doesn't say that, so it can't be assumed. Last time I was in Nice, I noticed very little difference in convenience goods such as minerals, bottles of water, ice creams etc. from the standard corner shops.

Just like here, you pay a premium in bigger cities, centre towns, small shops etc. Too many people try to compare walmart style shops with their local gala to make them feel like they are getting better value, the reality is quite different.

What kind of people use this comparison? No one I know..:confused:

Also can = singular..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

Coke was purchased in the supermarket (Intermarche) and was a single can. Water was just a normal 2L bottle of drinking water.

Dam me and my assuming..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

nc6000 wrote: »
    Currently on hols in France and can't get over some of the price differences between here and Ireland. A can of Coke is 36c without any offers. What is the cheapest this would be at home? Maybe 80c? 2 litres of water is 16c. What explanation is there for the differences in price?

I'm guessing because Irish consumers are happy to keep buying from the same greedy middlemen? That usually keeps the price high. Plus, whenever there are price rises, Irish consumers don't punish them by cutting back until they lower the price again. There's also little competition in Ireland since we have Dunnes Stores and Tesco (both predators). We need Carrefour and Wal-Mart in Ireland.

I never buy Coca Cola. I always buy Aldi brand cola for EUR0.36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Skopzz wrote: »
    I'm guessing because Irish consumers are happy to keep buying from the same greedy middlemen? That usually keeps the price high. Plus, whenever there are price rises, Irish consumers don't punish them by cutting back until they lower the price again. There's also little competition in Ireland since we have Dunnes Stores and Tesco (both predators). We need Carrefour and Wal-Mart in Ireland.

I never buy Coca Cola. I always buy Aldi brand cola for EUR0.36.

Also predators

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Also predators

That's merely a generalization.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Own-brand still water is incredibly cheap in French Supermarkets - we go every year and there is one local brand that costs 12c (or therabouts) per 1.5 litre bottle.

Dairy products seem to be on a par with here but fresh milk in supermarkets is dearer than here. Branded nappies and toiletries are the same price as here (though I recall that nappies used to be dearer over there).

Fruit and Veg is more resonable - a lot of it is local, cooked-meat are better value with a much wider range.

Baguettes and pain-de-compagne are way cheaper over there especially from the supermarket industrial bakeries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Try purchasing anything in the centre of Paris and you will know all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I just went back to Ireland for 2 weeks, living in the Netherlands, just near the Belgian border.

Drove over and stopped off in the UK on the way.

the 4 Liters of Clearview mineral water for 90cent isn't bad in Tesco.

IMO depends what your buying really, but in General stuff over here (Netherlnads/Belgium) costs around the same.

The biggest saving is around Wine, Beer and Cigarettes.

UK has turned much more expensive, went to a local tesco in Coventry on the weekend and it was waaayy more expensive than a Tesco I was in, in Cork just 3 days prior.

In General though i've found that Carrefour and Intermarche aren't great when it comes to the quality of stuff. Got a bunch of steaks in Super Valu when I was home and the quality was top notch and about half the price of the Greenfields brand in Albert Heijn (Irish Imported Steak)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

So what OP. If you go to thailand you would probably get it for half that again. Then go to Laos and you could probably buy a can of coke for 10c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    its quiet simple, its not greed as pointed out earlier, Rent is very high in ireland, QUOTE]

rents are very high because of GREED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Water is cheap on the continent because the tap water can be unsafe so therefore the vast majority drink bottled water.

Also, who ever said that beer is the same price in France as here is talking crap. It is massively expensive all over France.

reprazant wrote: »
    Water is cheap on the continent because the tap water can be unsafe so therefore the vast majority drink bottled water.

Also, who ever said that beer is the same price in France as here is talking crap. It is massively expensive all over France.

You'll have to stick to wine, then :rolleyes:

I'm from France and had never heard of the tap water being unsafe there. In some places the taste is not great, but it is generally safe. And doesn't contain fluor.
    Tap water is not free in France. Actually, I think Ireland is the only country in Europe that doesn't (yet) pay charge for water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Hogzy wrote: »
    So what OP. If you go to thailand you would probably get it for half that again. Then go to Laos and you could probably buy a can of coke for 10c.
    Not true Laos is more expensive than Thailand for food and drink.

(Irish Imported Steak)

Personally, I don't care where the meat is from (so long as it's from the EU). Quality comes at a price. I'm happy to shop in Aldi where I can buy 4 chicken fillets for just EUR2.50. If that was Irish chicken, I would be paying up to EUR5.00. In essence, the current grocery market is price sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Skopzz wrote: »
    Personally, I don't care where the meat is from (so long as it's from the EU). Quality comes at a price. I'm happy to shop in Aldi where I can buy 4 chicken fillets for just EUR2.50. If that was Irish chicken, I would be paying up to EUR5.00. In essence, the current grocery market is price sensitive.

You say that now, live in Holland for a few years, then go back to Ireland and have a Sirloin steak totally different.

Ireland are world renouned for breeding and raring cattle.

I prefer my food to be traceable to origin.

While I like to save money as much as everyone, going cheap on something you put into your body isn't for me.

With the 'cheap chicken' always check if it states 'injected with water or proteins' on the label.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article1980529.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nc6000 wrote: »
    A can of Coke is 36c without any offers. What is the cheapest this would be at home? Maybe 80c?
    I have gotten 2L for 1.19 "without any offers" (offers are often not advertised as such). I never buy cans.

I did a search thinking there might be a coca cola index, like the big mac one. One of the first hits was a cafe in france €7.60 for a can
    http://www.hobotraveler.com/124_04israel.shtml

I think it was over €5 in charles de gaulle airport

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080922074245AAqMZXf
    How much does a can of coke cost in euro's in france?

* 3 years ago
    A 330ml can costs €0.55 to €1.00

Peter
    Source(s):
    Live in France
    http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/whats-the-going-rate-for-a-diet-coke-in-france.cfm
    you can find cans in supermarkets for about $1 a can

http://www.parisescapes.com/paris_money.html
    Expect to pay around 5 euros for a Coke and 4 euros for a glass of wine. We've actually paid 7 euros for a Diet Coke ($10 US at the time) at a café in St. Germain de Prés.

If you're worrying that all this wine will make you "too tipsy", be aware that the French believe "everything in moderation", whereas Americans believe "bigger is better". A glass of wine in Paris is 3-4 ounces, unlike the 8-10 ounce pours that are the custom in the US.

If you still can't break your Coca-Cola addiction, buy it at the Monoprix or local grocery. You'll still end up paying significantly more than in the US - 5 euros for a 6-pack of cans.
    Seems you got a very good deal. You can probably find supermarkets prices online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Greed pure and simple. You'll hear every excuse in the book (insurance,wages etc..) but it all comes down to the Irish being a soft touch for captains of industry.

rubadub wrote: »

I did a search thinking there might be a coca cola index, like the big mac one. One of the first hits was a cafe in france €7.60 for a can
    http://www.hobotraveler.com/124_04israel.shtml

That's the Fouquet's, for God sake! It's one of the most famous (and expensive) cafés in Paris. It's like being outraged at a 4 euros coffee at the Merrion

Here the prices of Coke and similar in a well know supermarket in France: http://www.auchandirect.fr/frontoffice/index/rayon/famille/15144/rayon/15152/ssrayon/-1

A pack of 6 cans of Coke is 2.44. In Tesco, the same pack retails at 3.75

I did a comparison on a few products between the 2 sites, Auchan is much cheaper for some items, only marginally on others. I guess it's to do with the VAT not being the same on some products

However, there is a huge difference on baby products, mainly nappies.... in favour of Irish consumers. For ex, a Jumbo pack of Pampers Baby Dry size 5 (66 nappies) is 24.38 eur in Auchan. It's 16.39 eur in Tesco, and there are 2 more nappies in the pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nanazolie wrote: »
    That's the Fouquet's, for God sake! It's one of the most famous (and expensive) cafés in Paris.
    well spotted sherlock, thats why I posted other links to estimated supermarket prices too. It shows there is a huge variation in france, I doubt any cafe here charges that much for a can of coke.

In dublin city pubs you would not see as much variation on the price of a pint as you would in Paris -so overall the average prices paid may be very similar, so I don't see the problem with pointing out both extremes. You mentioned €4 coffee as being an extreme Irish price, it was €6.50 in that cafe in paris.
    Nanazolie wrote: »
    A pack of 6 cans of Coke is 2.44. In Tesco, the same pack retails at 3.75
    All the coke 6 packs are 2 for €6 in tesco right now. Pepsi is 6 cans for €1.97 in tesco.

Your 2.44 6 pack works out at 41cent per can, so just as I thought, the OP did get a very good bargain to get a single one for 36c.

Advertisement