Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery Prices In France

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

You have to wonder though if rent and rates came down would businesses really pass on the reduction to consumers. I would hope so but I doubt it.

Dunnes are offering 2 six packs of coke for €5. It used to €6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Went to a pub in Eindhoven yesterday, 500ml of Guinness was 5 euros.

500ml of Heineken and Grolsch 4.80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    You have to wonder though if rent and rates came down would businesses really pass on the reduction to consumers. I would hope so but I doubt it.

Dunnes are offering 2 six packs of coke for €5. It used to €6.

wholesale pricing is not a secret. Many wholesalers publish their prices on the web ad its easy enough to call into the likes of musgraves.

On food items most supermarkets work on a profit margin of 15% to 30% depending on the item. Beans, standard breads, sugar and other staples are in the 15%-20% area whilst discretionery items like biscuots, mineral etc are in the 25%-30% area.

We have to remember that Ireland is a low density population country. Per sq ft, supermarkets will do far less sales than any supermarket in UK or on the continent. So whilst tesco Ireland in Portlaoise will buy 2 pallets of 6 pack cola cans in one delivery, a similar surpermarket in france will buy 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

maxer68 wrote: »
    Per sq ft, supermarkets will do far less sales than any supermarket....

We don't use imperial measurements anymore. You meant per sq Metre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Skopzz wrote: »
    We don't use imperial measurements anymore. You meant per sq Metre?

You might not use them for doing your schoolwork but in commercial property terms, square footage is used in preference to square metres. Have a look at almost any ad on daft.ie and the square footage is always given first followed by the metric equivelent (in brackets)

• Advertisement

You might not use them for doing your schoolwork but in commercial property terms, square footage is used in preference to square metres. Have a look at almost any ad on daft.ie and the square footage is always given first followed by the metric equivelent (in brackets)

In preference to Sq M?!?! That is in violation of EU directive & EU law on the use of measurements in business. Metric measurements are the ONLY legally accepted ones in Ireland and in the rest of the E.U.

In fact, companies advertizing in square feet are breaking E.U trade laws. Infringements like that can easily be reported to the European Commission resulting in the Irish Government facing fines for not enforcing that code. It could also go further to the European Court of Justice at the European Commissions discretion.

Square Meters are supposed to be used in Ireland.

In preference to Sq M?!?! That is in violation of EU directive & EU law on the use of measurements in business. Metric measurements are the ONLY legally accepted ones in Ireland and in the rest of the E.U.

In fact, companies advertizing in square feet are breaking E.U trade laws. Infringements like that can easily be reported to the European Commission resulting in the Irish Government facing fines for not enforcing that code. It could also go further to the European Court of Justice at the European Commissions discretion.

Square Meters are supposed to be used in Ireland.

Incorrect.

Any form of measurement can be used once the metric measurement is also indicated. This was temporary but is now permanent.

"In March 2009 a new directive (2009/3/EC) was agreed amending existing EU regulations on metric measurements. The new regulations permitted:
    - the indefinite use of dual labelling in metric and imperial measurements;- the indefinite use of non-metric measurements where no metric ones exist, such as bytes in computing;- the indefinite use by the United Kingdom and by the Republic of Ireland of the pint, the mile and the troy ounce for certain specified uses.
    The regulations came into force on 1 January 2010. No new time limits were imposed and so these decisions effectively became derogations and not, as they had previously been regarded, as transitional measures. "

In general conversation in Ireland and the UK, the imperial system is most commonly used - or maybe you ask for a 1/2 litre in the local pub?

Skopzz, I've read some of your other posts and you seem to get this terribly wrong due mainly to very poor research or very poor grasp of the subject involved. - I still wonder about your "economic advice" for everyone to buy sterling at .852 a few months ago as you claimed that it would get much stronger.

It still hasn't gone near the rate since and has averaged over 89c in the past 3 months!

I for one will not be taking any of your "views" as correct based on your past comments.

maxer68 wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Any form of measurement can be used once the metric measurement is also indicated. This was temporary but is now permanent.

"In March 2009 a new directive (2009/3/EC) was agreed amending existing EU regulations on metric measurements. The new regulations permitted:
    - the indefinite use of dual labelling in metric and imperial measurements;- the indefinite use of non-metric measurements where no metric ones exist, such as bytes in computing;- the indefinite use by the United Kingdom and by the Republic of Ireland of the pint, the mile and the troy ounce for certain specified uses.
    The regulations came into force on 1 January 2010. No new time limits were imposed and so these decisions effectively became derogations and not, as they had previously been regarded, as transitional measures. "

In general conversation in Ireland and the UK, the imperial system is most commonly used - or maybe you ask for a 1/2 litre in the local pub?

Skopzz, I've read some of your other posts and you seem to get this terribly wrong due mainly to very poor research or very poor grasp of the subject involved. - I still wonder about your "economic advice" for everyone to buy sterling at .852 a few months ago as you claimed that it would get much stronger.

It still hasn't gone near the rate since and has averaged over 89c in the past 3 months!

I for one will not be taking any of your "views" as correct based on your past comments.

Now you're just acting stupid towards me. This is not an intellect scoring game. So I'm done talking with you.

Now you're just acting stupid towards me. This is not an intellect scoring game. So I'm done talking with you.

Nope - just show how blatantly wrong you are in both this thread and other threads.

I much prefer to comment based on actual facts rather than any made up view with no substantiation. It allows for better debate and better answers on these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hey come on ... Take it from me, Ireland is great for shopping.

24 hour Supermarkets, lots of choice, tons of shopping centers around the place.

The continent isn't some mad cheapo party for people living there, if stuff is cheap its cheap for a reason, either becuase its in a low income area or its in an area with low rent.

E.G. I go into Eindhoven to shop for clothes I pay a premium, if I drive 45 minutes south down to the Roermond Outlet Center theres great deals to be had, simply because the rents are lower.

Similarly, the Germans come across the border to buy coffee because 40-50% cheaper than in Germany (Due to taxes).

What I wouldn't give to be able to go shopping on a Sunday, or being to do grocery shopping at 12 at night.

The prices are definitely lower in Ireland simply because you have more choice to shop around and theres more competition.

You'll always pay extra for convenience and brands.

In the Netherlands the competition isn't great, theres a chain of Supermarkets called Albert Heijn that seem to multiply like rabbits and they are rubbish (in the Randstad anyway) with high prices and crap service.

Some guy even made a song about it, which every expat can relate to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Hey come on ... Take it from me, Ireland is great for shopping.

24 hour Supermarkets, lots of choice, tons of shopping centers around the place.

The continent isn't some mad cheapo party for people living there, if stuff is cheap its cheap for a reason, either becuase its in a low income area or its in an area with low rent.

E.G. I go into Eindhoven to shop for clothes I pay a premium, if I drive 45 minutes south down to the Roermond Outlet Center theres great deals to be had, simply because the rents are lower.

Similarly, the Germans come across the border to buy coffee because 40-50% cheaper than in Germany (Due to taxes).

What I wouldn't give to be able to go shopping on a Sunday, or being to do grocery shopping at 12 at night.

The prices are definitely lower in Ireland simply because you have more choice to shop around and theres more competition.

You'll always pay extra for convenience and brands.

In the Netherlands the competition isn't great, theres a chain of Supermarkets called Albert Heijn that seem to multiply like rabbits and they are rubbish (in the Randstad anyway) with high prices and crap service.

Some guy even made a song about it, which every expat can relate to :)

Albert Heijn do lovely chocolate and doughnuts,their meat and cheese are poor quality though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

And there Sugar Bread is wicked !!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irbx

just back from france. was shopping in Intermarche in paris. prices were for food pretty much same a here. some stuff was cheap and other stuff was more expensive. but looking at the receipt french are charged vat on food of 5.5% where here in ireland on food we have zero rate bar junk food.

this is a big difference in wine and beer but this down to stamp duty differences.came back with 2 full suit cases full of very good french wine. that cost a arm and leg over here. enough to keep me going for next 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

My experience has been that grocery shopping in France costs pretty much the same as Ireland. Alcohol is obviously much cheaper but products such as branded breakdast cereals are considerably more expensive. Also check the prices of toys in France. These can be up to twice the price you pay in Smyths here.

Advertisement