Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading for 3rd year reservations

Options
  • 30-06-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

hey,

well I'm heading into 3rd year and I'm began to start waking up to my degree. Iv had so many modules that I have under performed in sense, and the short answer is it was all my own fault.

As it stands my qca is 2.2 how hard will it be for me to finish with a 3.0, I know this may be a stupid question but I'd like to hear someone on here has turned things around and that it is possible.

is repeating the year an option? I have worked and should be able to cover it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

yup its easily attainable! your qca is only taken into account from year 2, and is only worth 1/8 of your overall qca as the harder years are weighted, for example if you get a 3.0 average next year your average may well be 2.8 as opposed to the 2.6, were it not weighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

the qca is weighted by term so heres the list

2nd Year Semester 1 = 1
    2nd Year Semester 2 = 1
    3rd Year Semester 1 = 2
    3rd Year Semester 2 = Co-op
    4th Year Semester 1 = 2
    4th Year Semester 2 = 2

So if youre on 2.2 after 2nd Year = 2.2
    If you get a 3.3 after 3rd you'll have a 2.75
    if you get a 3.3 after 4th year youll have a 3.03

so to get a 3.0 youll need to average a 3.3 for the next 2 years which is doable if you put the work in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

engineering was weighted as follows
    2nd year=36 credits
    3rd year=72 credits
    4th year=54 credits
    FYP= 24 credits

so if you got a 3.2 average in your final year project and 3rd and 4th years you would end on 3.0

I wouldn't recommend repeating the year, kindof a waste. There is also a 0.1 grading band that is applied so a upper second class degree would actually only be 2.9 and even at that if you were on 2.8ish they consider bumping your fyp grade up to get you to 2.9 if you are a hard worker and deserve it.

I would also recommend viewing every script after every exam (except A1's) as a friend of mine had his exam corrected completly wrong and got it rechecked and went from a C3 to an A1. Also talk to lecturers during the year so they know that you have been working hard during the year and some tend to tell you the problems that they would recommend to look at (i.e exam questions). Also check the module numbers for modules you have yet to take and download all the material they offer on it and previous exams, one lecturer I had repeated the exam every 4 years, word for word, number for number.

My friend went from having to do repeats in first year to being nearly the top of the class and finishing on a first class honours so it's possible with hard work and effort so it is possible

Advertisement