Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby swimming suit

Options
  • 30-06-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi

I want to take my 11mths old baby to swimming classes (parent and child)
    and I want to get him a swimming suit, but I don't know which one would be better
    I have choice between:
    1.NEW FLOATIES UV WATER SUIT BOYS UPF 50+
    2.BABY STAY WARM SWIMMING WRAP WETSUIT SWIM COSTUME

anyone has any experience with this?
    Please share your opinion/experience with me

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Just get a swimsuit in Tesco or Dunnes and some swimming nappies. You don't need anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

yea i got advised at my parent and baby swim class just regular swimsuit and arm bands. Your going to be in indoors so no need to spend extra on spf50 not unless your going on sun holiday later. From looking at people in my class its just cheap swimsuits everybody has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

For a baby you don't even really need a swim suit, just a swim nappy is fine. As the others have said the UV suits are only needed for outside and it can be a waste to use them in the pool as the chlorine reduces their lifespan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We found a swimsuit to be very useful as it gives extra grip of the baby. Babies wet skin can be very slippery and it wouldn't do to drop them ;)

For less than a tenner (we got one for €3 in Dunnes) it's worth having a cheap and cheerful little wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Next have gorgeous wee suits too. I'd imagine the grip provided by a suit would be very useful.

That said, I still haven't brought my wee man to the pool. I want to, but the organisation of it seems like a nightmare to me - my swimsuit, changing him, getting him into the pool, showering afterwards, where to put him (not walking yet, but v active) :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

deemark wrote: »
    That said, I still haven't brought my wee man to the pool. I want to, but the organisation of it seems like a nightmare to me - my swimsuit, changing him, getting him into the pool, showering afterwards, where to put him (not walking yet, but v active) :eek:
    I've never done it by myself yet. We always go to the new public pool in Wexford when visiting my parents. The changing are is communal with individual/family changing cubicles and showers with doors. It's like a military operation sometimes. I get out first and shower in peace and quiet and get dressed while daddy showers the baby. I then take the little dude from him and dress him while daddy showers. Then milk and he's always fast asleep before we're out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's remarkably easy. I bring my son once a week. I brung the pushchair in so he can sleep after his swim. I put him in a romper afterwards so dressing him is quick. As for showering I take him in with me but don't use soap or gel.

I dress him first and myself after. I've seen mums with more active babies and they put a towel on the floor and sit them on it with some toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

I brought my baby to swimming lessons when he was 6 months old, i found the baby wetsuit (the wrap) was ideal as some pools do not have the temperature high enough for them, plus it gives a (small) bit of flotation. However when we were practising for the baby swimming under water we had to take the wrap off, again becuase of the flotation.
    I always bring my buggy in with me to the pool, I dress him first and give him a bottle and then strap him into the buggy while i shower. i never shower him as (in our pool) it's too cold, i give him a bath at home instead. It's a good idea to bring cotton wool...just the small balls, to put in your babies ear when he gets out of the water as it helps dry them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

I got my fella a swim suit in Heatons for €7. Its adorable, top with full length arms and bottoms 3/4 length legs. I doubt it has any uv protection but sure thats what suncream is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

thanks everyone, its nice to find out from other parents some useful info.

My son is 12 mths old, and I was tired of thinking which suit this and that so I went for speedo size 2 the warmer version.
    I will see how it will go on Saturday.

thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement