Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Caddell's sarcasms on Phantom about Bon Jovi

Options
  • 30-06-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭

I was out walking this evening with the ear phones and mobile in tow. I happened to be listening to Phantom. It was just after 8 and on came John Caddell with his show "Key Cuts".

He preceded, as is his usual habit, to talk about the musical highlights coming up this evening. He said his featured album would be by Bon Jovi, he would have live tracks from Bon Jovi, he would be playing three in a row from Jon Bon Jovi's solo album, the next hour would feature an interview with Jon Bon Jovi and was going to start the show off with a song by Bon Jovi.....

Except... he didn't! John Caddell kicked off the music with a song by Faith No More. This was followed by the opening bars of Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" before morphing into "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana and followed up with "Even Flow" by Pearl Jam.

John came back on air then and described his opening selection as "Anti-Bon Jovi music". Now, anyone who is familiar with Caddell's music taste, which he is very passionate about, will know that he cannot abide Bon Jovi. Indeed, I heard him slating Ray McGowan (normally heavy metal jock) on a previous occasion for playing said group when filling in for John on the classic rock-oriented show "Powerhouse".

This is of course on the occasion of Bon Jovi's second concert in the R.D.S.

So, although I would not feel as strong as John on the subject (I can even tolerate about three tunes from those unmentionables!), I did enjoy his biting sarcasm.

What do other people think of John Caddell doing this? ... even if you do not normally get to hear him

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

This is exactly what i want to hear, some passionate opinions on music. The humour helps as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I totally agree, and hate Bon Jovi just as much

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Meh if you don't like him don't listen to him, or turn the volume down in between songs.

TBH honest OP, you come across as a bit obsessive about all things phantom.

Kinda creeping me out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Why anyone would listen to John Cadell when the excellent Paul McLoone's on TFM si beyond me. Cadell comes across as a really smug ar@e and I'd never listen to her show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnCaddell

I'm a bloke, Ultan, not a woman.

Regards

John

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Give Ultan his due, John. He is perceptive enough to know what you sound like despite apparently never listening to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Cadell is a bit of a moody Michael (or moody John, if you will), but the time this year that he allowed about 15 seconds of an XX song to be played before cutting it off and saying something to the effect of, "I'm not listening to any of that moany crap today" was very much enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

ah I loved John on Fridays in work when he had powerhouse. went to turn it on a few years ago when walking home and I got this trance remix shít thinking ok the last show has over run by a few minutes, kept listening and a guy and girl started talking about how hip it was.

Turned it off then and there.

I remember whenever john would be off on a Friday you'd have loads of people ringing/texting in asking to play the forbidden music and who ever was in the chair going i'm not sure if i'm allowed or if the beatings will resume if I do.

But he knows his music, he doesn't take any shít and I always liked his shows and hatred of bon jovi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

allanb49 wrote: »
    ah I loved John on Fridays in work when he had powerhouse. went to turn it on a few years ago when walking home and I got this trance remix shít thinking ok the last show has over run by a few minutes, kept listening and a guy and girl started talking about how hip it was.

Turned it off then and there.

I remember whenever john would be off on a Friday you'd have loads of people ringing/texting in asking to play the forbidden music and who ever was in the chair going i'm not sure if i'm allowed or if the beatings will resume if I do.

But he knows his music, he doesn't take any shít and I always liked his shows and hatred of bon jovi.

Powerhouse is on Sunday nights from 9pm. Ray McGowan made the "mistake" of playing Bon Jovi when standing in for John Caddell one Friday, as per my original post!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

ah I know it's on sundays but it was always what i'd listen to in work or walking home on a Friday evening,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I always think Caddell's apparent hatred of bon jovi is a case of the lady protesting a bit too much. I bet he'll be up the front at Slane in a few months throwing his cacks at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnCaddell

Only if Richie Sambora is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Finest Worksongs is the best show on the radio for me (sorry Richie). I actually love John having strong opinions on music, playing stuff he loves and slating the stuff he doesn't.

But then I'm a big Beatles and Dylan fan so his playlists suit me to me to a T

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

John is truly a musical giant, and the very bedrock of the station's musical knowledge. When we were on North Wall Quay he worked, exactly as you would expect a Head of Music to work, surrounded by towering piles of music magazines, and virtual mountains of CDs, occasional avalaunches of which would bury him from time to time.

He can be forgiven for his somewhat extreme reaction to Bon Jovi . . . though it was I who played them one Friday standing in on Powerhouse, and he has yet to forgive *me* :-)

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Caddell is great. It's refreshing to have a DJ with an opinion. He's not for everyone though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

loved it the other week when he played 'The Show Must Go On' on Freddies anniversery.
    Someone text in wondering was it 'Nova', and he told them to piss off live on air! :D

He's straight up wrong about Lars Ulrich, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

He's straight up wrong about Lars Ulrich, mind.
    What did he say about him?

What did he say about him?

Himself and RichieMc had a bit of back and forth about Lars' drumming skills and John reckons he one of the greatest rock drummers ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I love John, but a man who plays KISS voluntarily really needs to reconsider whether Bon Jovi are really that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

haha!
    In fairness, he did play 'Dead or Alive' just before Christmas as a present to all those who asked for Bon Jovi throughout the year :D

Advertisement