Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick qs. about the CAO

• 30-06-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Do I need to fill in any level 6/7 courses? (I already have 10 level 8 courses filled in, even though I'm only interested in the top 3)

If I get way over the minimum points requirements, does that guarantee me a spot? (I don't think it does in theory, but generally speaking, is that correct?)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you get this year's minimum points requirements you get in.
    If you get way over last year's requirements there are no guarantees as the points can change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gumbi wrote: »
    Do I need to fill in any level 6/7 courses? (I already have 10 level 8 courses filled in, even though I'm only interested in the top 3)
    It's not mandatory, it's up to yourself.

That said, you don't get charged extra.
    Gumbi wrote: »
    If I get way over the minimum points requirements, does that guarantee me a spot? (I don't think it does in theory, but generally speaking, is that correct?)
    No, except in that for most courses the points each year tend to be well over the minimum requirements.

The minimum requirements for a course might translate in points terms to say 300 points, and you might get 550, and still miss it by 5.

Points are set by the Law of Supply and Demand, hence why they vary each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It's not mandatory, it's up to yourself.

That said, you don't get charged extra.

No, except in that for most courses the points each year tend to be well over the minimum requirements.

The minimum requirements for a course might translate in points terms to say 300 points, and you might get 550, and still miss it by 5.

Points are set by the Law of Supply and Demand, hence why they vary each year.

Why do you mean by "and still miss it by 5"? In terms of what I need: the course was 300 last year, I expect about 480 - 490 (fair estimates). I don't need a particularly high grade in any specific subject, excepting a D2 in Honours Maths, in which I expect a C1/B3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The simple answer is no, you don't.

Sorry, I seem to be confusing myself and everyone else to-night!! >.<

There are two main things you need to get into a course:

... the minimum requirements (e.g. "Pass 6 subjects, including Maths, English and a foreign language; two subjects at at least HC3, including one of Physics or Chemistry")

... to reach the points cut-off.

The way you mingled both into "minimum points requirements" confused me, I'm afraid, mea culpa.

The actual points which equate to the minimum requirements might only be 300, for example, but once you have satisfied the minimum requirements, it is the points cut-off which matters.

If the points cut-off is 455, and you get 460, ofc you get a place. You will get a place at 455 in fact.

If the points cut-off is 455* it indicates that only some of those with 455 points could be offered places, and they were allocated by lottery.

I thought you were looking at the relationship between the points equivalent of the minimum requirements and the points cut-off; there is none, basically.

If you get 450, and the points cut-off is 300, of course you will get a place.

The points cut-off is basically the points of the candidate who got in with the lowest points for that course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If the points cut-off is 455* it indicates that only some of those with 555 points could be offered places, and they were allocated by lottery.

Explain this to me. What does the * mean? Why is it people with far greater points that don't get in? Is this a course with very limit places in which there were to many with that high a score that there had to be a lottery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

* after the number means Random Selection. I presume Randy meant to type 445 instead of 555 there. If it is 445* it means that some people on 445 will get in while others wont. Its done in a lottery type process. If you have anything over 445 you will definitely get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Alright nice one!

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    * after the number means Random Selection. I presume Randy meant to type 445 instead of 555 there.
    I did! :o

This hasn't been a good thread for me ... >_>

Advertisement