Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie price/ frankie boye

Options
  • 30-06-2011 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Just saw Katie Price and her son Harvey in " Standing up for Harvey".

We all know Katie Price is a lot of things among them is a media junkie.
    Yes she likes being in the news. She also however is a mother of a disabled child . Harvey is a brilliant kid , great to get to know him a little better on the show. She wants Frankie Boyle to apologize for his "joke" about Harvey. Frankie Boyle being the unbelievable twat that he is wont. Neither will channel 4.
    So just because Harvey is Katie's son he is far game for bullying by Frankie Boyle ?? ( being support by Channel 4 ) . He is a 9 year old boy with multiple disabilities. He cant stand up for himself. Katie as his mother has a duty to defend him. She is doing it as she know how. I for one am glad. I hope she keeps it in the news until she gets the apology she deserves. Anyone that highlights the appalling attitudes to intellectual disability is bloody great in my opinion. It seems to me ( especially in Ireland ) that there is no respect for people with intellectual disabilities and people take pot shots at them all the time. Something that would not happen to ethnic minorities , foreign nationals , the gay community. If it did the person taking the pot shots would be brought to book legally. Political Correctness often does not extend to disability especially intellectual disability. We have government cutting sna's and respite care , carers allowance has been lower and half carers is due to get the chop in the next budget. No respect. This is probably one of the most vulnerable sections in any society. Easy targets. So I say well done Katie. Frankie Boyle is an ill informed arrogant bully.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

You're preaching to the choir, couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

If the show helps change attitudes to people with intellectual disabilities, then that's great. I couldn't watch anything with that woman. When I saw the trailers, my reaction was horror that she is using her disabled child to get herself back in the media spotlight again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

I dont agree. I think the media is all she knows and she is protecting her son the best way she knows how. Was it ok for frankie Boyle to make money and put himself in the media spotlight by using Harvey ?? Because this is what he did.

katiebelle wrote: »
    I think the media is all she knows and she is protecting her son the best way she knows how.
    She's no fool. The media is all she knows about making money. She uses the media, and the media uses her - it's a symbiotic relationship of parasites. I don't care what she does herself, but to involve her disabled child is completely wrong.
    Was it ok for frankie Boyle to make money and put himself in the media spotlight by using Harvey ?? Because this is what he did.
    Absolutely not, but we don't have to pick sides. It's not a choice of one or other. Frankie's actions were completely obnoxious. That doesn't justify Katie's actions in forcing her son (who is unable to make decisions for himself as a result of his disability and his age) into the media spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

When I saw the trailers, my reaction was horror that she is using her disabled child to get herself back in the media spotlight again.

I dont think that is what Katy is trying to do! That sick excuse for a man frankie Boyle used her disabled son publicly for a laugh... she is just trying to get her apology from him. As a mother how could she ever let this go? I think she is dead right for using the media... by doing this she has shown what a wonderful son she has, how much she loves him and how much of a pr*ck frankie boyle really is when he wont even apologise.

Katy needs to protect her son as he cant protect himself.. she is dead right! Im no huge fan of the woman and I aint no fan but I couldnt agree more with what she is doing!

ANd for those who laughed.... ye are worse!

• Advertisement

swizzle123 wrote: »
    I dont think that is what Katy is trying to do! That sick excuse for a man frankie Boyle used her disabled son publicly for a laugh... she is just trying to get her apology from him. As a mother how could she ever let this go? I think she is dead right for using the media... by doing this she has shown what a wonderful son she has, how much she loves him and how much of a pr*ck frankie boyle really is when he wont even apologise.

Katy needs to protect her son as he cant protect himself.. she is dead right! Im no huge fan of the woman and I aint no fan but I couldnt agree more with what she is doing!

Well said !! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Jordon has been using him as a prop in her career since birth, kid not in public eye then Frankie Boyle quip would be unlikely

Suggest she apogise to the kid first

Jordon has been using him as a prop in her career since birth, kid not in public eye then Frankie Boyle quip would be unlikely

I dont really agree.... how has she? Maybe I wrong I dont know much about Jordan as I really havent followed her but yeah Ive seen pictures of her and harvey in papers and magazines but nothing out of the unordinary for a famous person and thier child...

I know Jordan has spoke out about Hravey in the past and his conditions but that is only to raise awareness of it and in support of other parents??

I dont really agree.... how has she? Maybe I wrong I dont know much about Jordan as I really havent followed her but yeah Ive seen pictures of her and harvey in papers and magazines but nothing out of the unordinary for a famous person and thier child...

I know Jordan has spoke out about Hravey in the past and his conditions but that is only to raise awareness of it and in support of other parents??

One of the UK digital TV Channels has a continuous Jordon/Petre Andre reality show, with the Kids in nearly every show.

Price is not dumb and must have realized what was going to happen if she kept her kids in the limelight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Something that would not happen to ethnic minorities , foreign nationals , the gay community. If it did the person taking the pot shots would be brought to book legally
    Eh... what? I take it you've never seen any of the rest of Frankie Boyle's material, where he takes pot-shots at absolutely everybody?

Incidentally, do you want to set out exactly what is ok to make jokes about?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

So perhaps she should hide away her "poor disabled child"? He is out there because she is proud of him. He is out there because he is part of her family and her life. I can't see how much of a prop to her career he can be realistically. Like the previous poster said a lot if not most celebrities have their kids in the limelight in some form or another.( Suri Crusie comes to mind.) Why does she need to apologize to Harvey ?? For standing up for him and looking after him?
    If Frankie Boyle was not an idiot then the remark would not have been made either now would it ??

28064212 wrote: »

Fair enough it is hard where u draw the line and what should be accepted or not accepted but making a joke about a CHILD who has a disablilty and them having s*x with their mother...cmon now???

And price not dumb.... ha!!:P Ah no your right she shuld never have put her children in the limelight I couldnt agree more... but by doing that she didnt ask for such a sick joke to be made about her son? People always follow famous people and their children! As previously mentioned Suri cruise is in the paper every other day.... so are Katie and Tom just askin for a sick sad joke to be made about theor young daughter?

Fair enough it is hard where u draw the line and what should be accepted or not accepted but making a joke about a CHILD who has a disablilty and them having s*x with their mother...cmon now??
    No-one's saying you have to like a particular joke. But if you don't like it, you don't get to say he shouldn't have been allowed say it. Either everything is fair game for joking, or nothing is

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

And price not dumb.... ha!!:P Ah no your right she shuld never have put her children in the limelight I couldnt agree more... but by doing that she didnt ask for such a sick joke to be made about her son? People always follow famous people and their children! As previously mentioned Suri cruise is in the paper every other day.... so are Katie and Tom just askin for a sick sad joke to be made about theor young daughter?

Whether they are asking or not they are getting them, but there is the bonus of column inches in the Red Tops which sells movies

Eh... what? I take it you've never seen any of the rest of Frankie Boyle's material, where he takes pot-shots at absolutely everybody?

You know its just common decency to not portray a disabled child as capable of rape. This comment sends messages about people with learning disabilities having no self control , that they are somehow capable of monstrous crimes. Kids with disabilities seriously have enough to deal with on a day to day basis with this. I have seen Frankie Boyle's material , my older son used to like him ( noted used to ). If this disgusting excuse of a man takes pot shots at other groups like gays or ethnic minorities then they at least are able to stand up for themselves. Indeed many have powerful lobby groups. A racist comment even on these boards is not tolerated yet the word retard is used and accepted and that is easily the most offensive word to anyone with a learning disability. Its all about crossing a line and he did. I dont know if you have kids but would you like it if someone suggested they were capable of raping their own mother ??? Thats just a neuro typcial child what a about a child with an intellectual disability ? This was just not funny and he should apologize.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've 2 austistic nephews - and I actually disagree with a lot of what's said on here.

First of all, the word retard has ceased to mean what it once did. In the same way that lunatic or touched meant someone mentally challenged years ago, retard is undergoing a social change and in another 10 or so years will cease to be associated with special needs and instead associated with general stupidity (as it's now doing in popular culture).

Secondly, Katie Price IMHO, is the personification of greed. She's vile, selfish, and all she cares about is money. She hasn't had a stable relationship despite marriages and constant publicity about new men in her life and as her modelling Career is over and her clothing range will inevitably die a death, she's milking Sky1's interest in her for all the money she can get. She had her 'Katie' show, and this new one's yet another money spinner. She'll earn from the TV show, from Hello Magazine and from every newspaper out there who makes the mistake of saying something stupid so she can sue them.

If she really cared about Harvey, she'd just look after him and put him in a stable family environment with a stable partner, not be swapping in a new father figure every few months. I don't think Harvey's bothered one way or the other about what Frankie Boyle said, I do think she's making a huge issue out of this because she can, and because she knows damn well how much money she'll earn from it - and that disgusts me when I see people championing her as some form of moral compass.

A racist comment even on these boards is not tolerated yet the word retard is used and accepted and that is easily the most offensive word to anyone with a learning disability.
    While I disagree with you on the original issue, you are dead right here. The extent to which this hurtful insult is used on these boards (and accepted by moderators) is outrageous.

This comment sends messages about people with learning disabilities having no self control
    No it doesn't. And if you think it does, you don't understand comedy. The joke doesn't send that message any more than a dead baby joke sends the message that babies are funny when they're dead
    If this disgusting excuse of a man takes pot shots at other groups like gays or ethnic minorities then they at least are able to stand up for themselves. Indeed many have powerful lobby groups.
    There are plenty of individuals in those groups that don't have a voice, and there are numerous lobby groups for people with intellectual disabilities.
    I dont know if you have kids but would you like it if someone suggested they were capable of raping their own mother ???
    Probably not, unless it was really funny. That completely misses the point though. Whether I find it funny or not, I wouldn't be claiming that he shouldn't have made it in the name of "decency" (this is assuming it was made in an appropriate setting. Some randomer shouting it at me while walking down the street is not comparable)
    Its all about crossing a line and he did.
    And this is the crux of the matter. Where is this line drawn exactly? Are you going to be the arbiter of what it's ok to joke about?

I've 2 austistic nephews - and I actually disagree with a lot of what's said on here.

Your entitled to your opinion . Autism does not mean that automatically there will be an intellectual disability btw.

First of all, the word retard has ceased to mean what it once did. In the same way that lunatic or touched meant someone mentally challenged years ago, retard is undergoing a social change and in another 10 or so years will cease to be associated with special needs and instead associated with general stupidity (as it's now doing in popular culture).

Actually your completely wrong on this one and there are huge campaigns in the US against the use of this word. If you have personally decided that this word is ok then thats your right but dont claim that's the way things are going for everyone. I wonder are you aware of the huge controversy that surrounded the use of the word in the Tropic Thunder movie ??? I have been part of those campaigns and will continue to do so.

Secondly, Katie Price IMHO, is the personification of greed. She's vile, selfish, and all she cares about is money. She hasn't had a stable relationship despite marriages and constant publicity about new men in her life and as her modelling Career is over and her clothing range will inevitably die a death, she's milking Sky1's interest in her for all the money she can get. She had her 'Katie' show, and this new one's yet another money spinner. She'll earn from the TV show, from Hello Magazine and from every newspaper out there who makes the mistake of saying something stupid so she can sue them.

Ok so all this means her son is fair game ?? Or maybe actually maybe it has nothing at all to do with it. She has not sued Frankie Boyle, all she wants is an apology.

If she really cared about Harvey, she'd just look after him and put him in a stable family environment with a stable partner, not be swapping in a new father figure every few months. I don't think Harvey's bothered one way or the other about what Frankie Boyle said, I do think she's making a huge issue out of this because she can, and because she knows damn well how much money she'll earn from it - and that disgusts me when I see people championing her as some form of moral compass.

She is a millionaire several times over . One program of Sky is hardly likely to make a difference to that. She was using her celebrity to try to bring awareness and she should be applauded for that. Many many people split up from their spouses and go on to have other relationships. In fact most if not all do. Harvey may not be bothered but that does not mean he should not be protected .

Seems like you just hate Katie Price and she can do nothing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

She is a millionaire several times over . One program of Sky is hardly likely to make a difference to that

Being a millionaire doesn't stop a greedy person being greedy. Exposure from Sky will be a six figure sum. Bring in the usual tabloid rags and glossy womens magazines and it'll roll well into 7 figures.
    . She was using her celebrity to try to bring awareness and she should be applauded for that.

I actually see it (As do many others) as her exploiting her disabled son. She stands to make a fortune from this. And what's worse, is that she's taken a bad joke which shouldn't have been told in public IMHO, and made it one of the most popular things out there at the moment. If she'd just shut up and brushed it off no one would have been thinking about it a week later. Now if you Google about Frankie Boyle, or Katie, the joke itself is top of the results. She's actually made the situation for Harvey a million times worse than it should be - and she should have known well - she's been involved with the Media for long enough to know the repercussions of doing what she did.
    Many many people split up from their spouses and go on to have other relationships.

Many many people go onto having long term relationships with one more person, maybe two. Katie's one person who goes on to having many many relationships all half thought out. Must be devastating for the kids to have father figure after father figure replaced with a stranger.
    Seems like you just hate Katie Price and she can do nothing right.

And it seems like you're looking at her through rose tinted glasses and can't see her for the greedy selfish person she is, exploiting her Son for more money.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't. And if you think it does, you don't understand comedy. The joke doesn't send that message any more than a dead baby joke sends the message that babies are funny when they're dead

I am fairly new to the boards and am not sure how to break this us for my replies . Confusing I know but I do apologize. I would say that if you think it does not send those messages then you do not understand the issue at all.
    I lived in the US and there are individuals over there who already think that disables babies should be aborted before birth where possible and euthanized after birth . Extreme ?? Maybe but sad to say these individuals do exist and will do anything to further that particular agenda. I do understand comedy very well thank you . I just think that this comment is not comedy. If you have been on the receiving end of abuse and comments and have had to actually been expected to explain why your child is alive at all then perhaps you would understand a little more. You claim I dont understand comedy , I say you dont understand some of the issues surrounding disability. Thats partly the point , most people if they are lucky will not have any experience of disability and we dont need their opinions being informed by this completely factually incorrect comment.

There are plenty of individuals in those groups that don't have a voice, and there are numerous lobby groups for people with intellectual disabilities.

There are lobby groups but in Ireland at least they are ran by overworked and over stressed relatives for the most part. They struggle for funding. Carers allowance and Blind persons allowance both have been cut. Special needs assistants have been cut. I would have loved to have been able to take part in those demonstrations but could not get a sitter. These are just some of the differences between disability lobby groups and others.

Probably not, unless it was really funny. That completely misses the point though. Whether I find it funny or not, I wouldn't be claiming that he shouldn't have made it in the name of "decency" (this is assuming it was made in an appropriate setting. Some randomer shouting it at me while walking down the street is not comparable)

Trouble is though comments like this are being shouted in the street all the time and if certain people think its acceptable because Frankie Boyle does it then they will be more than happy to do it too . Completely out on context.
    My trip to Aldi to get milk yesterday was one such example. All we were doing was buying milk. We did not deserve this.

And this is the crux of the matter. Where is this line drawn exactly? Are you going to be the arbiter of what it's ok to joke about?

No I am not. We live in a politically correct society for the most part. To get to that point we had to take issue with unacceptable things as they arose or were part of our society. Drink driving is no longer acceptable , we finally have some sort of gay marriage. When are we going to get to the stage where a little boy can buy milk in aldi with his mother without being abused in the car park ??? We legislate we campaign we fight. We do what we can to ensure that all our citizens are equal and respected. We say no , thats wrong , that hurts some of the most vulnerable people in our society, that can influence people to do and say horrible things that have no place in a modern society. We say that you cannot malign disabled individuals in order to promote your own career of "shock" comedy.

Being a millionaire doesn't stop a greedy person being greedy. Exposure from Sky will be a six figure sum. Bring in the usual tabloid rags and glossy womens magazines and it'll roll well into 7 figures.

I actually see it (As do many others) as her exploiting her disabled son. She stands to make a fortune from this. And what's worse, is that she's taken a bad joke which shouldn't have been told in public IMHO, and made it one of the most popular things out there at the moment. If she'd just shut up and brushed it off no one would have been thinking about it a week later. Now if you Google about Frankie Boyle, or Katie, the joke itself is top of the results. She's actually made the situation for Harvey a million times worse than it should be - and she should have known well - she's been involved with the Media for long enough to know the repercussions of doing what she did.

Many many people go onto having long term relationships with one more person, maybe two. Katie's one person who goes on to having many many relationships all half thought out. Must be devastating for the kids to have father figure after father figure replaced with a stranger.

And it seems like you're looking at her through rose tinted glasses and can't see her for the greedy selfish person she is, exploiting her Son for more money.

My point is she hardly needed Harvey to make money. She makes plenty and frankly just because she does not conform to the usual vision of saintly mother of a disabled child she is ridiculed ??
    I dont see that she should have brushed it off at all. If someone said that about my child I would probably do a lot worse and end up in prison. Thankfully Harvey's situation has not been made worse his life and his routine are continuing. Which is what he needs. If she can use her relationship with the media to highlight this abomination then I say well done and she has disability groups in the UK backing her all the way.
    Katie has had two (not many) serious relationships since her marriage ended. Again I say many many people have relationships and introduce lots of partners to their children. This is done all the time by many many people. Not unique to Katie. My rose tinted glasses were broken many many years ago I'm afraid. I can relate to her being a parent of a special needs child. The issues are the same as is the issues of trying to maintain relationships with a partner and working to support your child. Battling ignorance is also another huge one

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

I'm not quite sure where I stand on this. I find Frankie Boyle very funny, I don't have much of an opinion of Katie Price in general, but certainly have a lot of sympathy for her having a disabled child. As a mother myself I know what it feels like when my own perfectly healthy kids are hurt or upset by anything or anyone, I just see red and my protective instincts kick in.

Katie Price seems to be doing just that, trying her best to protect her child, and I don't think I can blame her for using her fame to help her. However, it was a joke. A very, very, very bad joke in my opinion, but a joke nonetheless. But if that joke was made at the expense of my own child, I doubt I'd see it that way! I know, I sound so contradictory/hypocritical but I can't quite make up my mind what side I'm on. Maybe a lot of people can find humour in things that don't affect them directly? Not right or wrong, just the way it is?

No it doesn't. And if you think it does, you don't understand comedy. The joke doesn't send that message...

What messgae did the joke send then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 carrieflem

When I first watched it I thought good on her for highlighting the issues... but then when she was talking to the group of teenagers that had experienced bullying because of their condition, she said to one girl, would you like your hair and makeup done l can arrange that for you... Is she not pretty enough already, was the programme meant to be what’s on the inside of the person that counts? She really contradicted herself with that comment!!

carrieflem wrote: »
    When I first watched it I thought good on her for highlighting the issues... but then when she was talking to the group of teenagers that had experienced bullying because of their condition, she said to one girl, would you like your hair and makeup done l can arrange that for you... Is she not pretty enough already, was the programme meant to be what’s on the inside of the person that counts? She really contradicted herself with that comment!!

I did not see the comment like that. I think she was trying to point out that ALL girls like their hair and make up done especially younger women. They like to look nice. She was just pointing out that girls and woman with Down Syndrome are exactly the same in that regard. ( and they are believe me or in some cases even worse :-) ) I think the program was saying a lot more than its what on the inside that counts. She was say that individuals with a disability are worthy of the respect afforded to those without a disability. That its not right to attack the most vulnerable members of society. Its not right to malign them with factually incorrect comments. That whats on the outside is actually just as great as whats on the inside. We don't all have to look the same

We do what we can to ensure that all our citizens are equal and respected.
    We say that you cannot malign disabled individuals in order to promote your own career of "shock" comedy.
    Those two statements are direct contradictions. If you want all citizens to be equal, they all should be treated the same.

In the second sentence, you want special treatment for disabled individuals. Why is it ok to joke about gay people, black people, muslims, christians, children, and every other section of society but not disabled individuals? Why do you want to treat them differently?
    What messgae did the joke send then?
    What message does the "why did the chicken cross the road" joke send? What message did Frankie Boyle's joke about Princess Diana being gang-banged in a landmine field send?

Why does there have to be a message in it?

Why does there have to be a message in it?

Ok point taken.. no point was intended. But he has to understand it from the families point of view that have children with disabilities in them. They work so very hard to protect their children and help them be equal with all others and then frankie boyle comes out with a statement like this.
    Like the joke would not have worked had the child not had a disablilty? would it?
    And while it may not have a point for me or you it very much will for parents with children with disabilities... Ya have to look at it from that point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Those two statements are direct contradictions. If you want all citizens to be equal, they all should be treated the same.

In the second sentence, you want special treatment for disabled individuals. Why is it ok to joke about gay people, black people, muslims, christians, children, and every other section of society but not disabled individuals? Why do you want to treat them differently?

Tommy Tirenan said a similar thing after he joked about downs syndrome people and other disabled people. He said he worked with a DS charity and asked a lot of sufferers if it was ok to joke about it. They were all delighted that they were finally getting the same treatment as everyone else. When liveline feature it a few DS suffers rang in and had no problem with tommys act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There are several points here.

Mr Boyle is a button pusher. He goes where others fear to tread and, yes, is over the line often.

Young Harvey is not capable of raping his mother. The joke was made when he was seven (?). So it intended as ludicrous. It was hilarious, but wouldn't have been funny if Harvey was 17 and fully mobile.

If Harvey is as disabled as the OP says, then he will never understand the joke anyway, and can't therefore be harmed by it.

Is it coincidence the OP is also a Katie - as an homage, perhaps?

Advertisement